1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Jurassic Park 3 Did i get a Pan&Scan and not a Wide Screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Don

Don Second Unit

like i was supposed to. it say's wide screen on the case but it is showing up like a P&S on the T.V. any idea on how to check into this. Don, P.S. my upc number on the back is 0 25192 11012 2 anyone else have troubles like this. Don, [​IMG]

2. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

There have been reports of the P&S showing up in the widescreen DVD case.

Take it back.

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I got the same barcode.

there should be the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen unless you got a widescreen TV.

4. Don

Don Second Unit

thank you i will Don,

5. Don

Don Second Unit

ok i'm going to take it back but does anyone have the numbers that are on the dvd itself so i can be sure i got the correct one. Don,

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Is your DVD player set to 4:3 'standard' TV size provided that is what you have?

7. Don

Don Second Unit

Luke no it's not i just got done playing the fast and the furious. Don,

8. Basi Nanda

Basi Nanda Stunt Coordinator

9. Don

Don Second Unit

ok how do i set my dvd player to 4;3 any other movies i put in their all wide screen

10. Steve Alan

Steve Alan Agent

I have noticed this with a some movies too. US Marshalls SE, Starship Troopers, Total Recall SE; all of them say widescreen on the box and on the disc, but regardless of setting the DVD player to 4:3 or 16:9 it still shows up full screen!!! What's going on here?![​IMG]

11. Basi Nanda

Basi Nanda Stunt Coordinator

I know for sure that the starship troopers DVD was a widescreen only release. And it is another movie having the 1.85:1 ratio. It will fill up the screen if you set your tv type to 16:9 widescreen. Same for US Marshals and Total recall. All these movies were filmed with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1.

If you have a Sony, go to the setup menu in the DVD player and look up screen settings, and select tv type and then select 4:3 letterbox. DO NOT SELECT THE 16:9 WIDESCREEN SETTING!!! This setting in only intended for those with a widescreen TV or a 4:3 TV with anamorphic squeeze.

I am sure other DVD players have a similar menu.

12. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

To answer Don's question about the "Jurassic Park III" DVD, you don't need to bother with UPC numbers. There is a logo on the disc itself. It will read either 1.33:1 Fullframe or 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen.

13. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

With all of the Jurassic Park screw ups, maybe Universal is trying to tell us something about the JP series...[​IMG]

14. Don

Don Second Unit

Ken Seeber where is the Logo Markings you are Talking about. i know on the Disk but where or how do i read them does it take something special to read it i already loked at the Disk and did not see anything Don,

15. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Don,

The logo is right on the label side of the disc itself. I think it's below and to one side of the center hole and the logo is a rectangle. It really is impossible to miss.

1.33:1 refers to the shape of a standard TV screen, which means the movie has been reformatted (non widescreen). The one that reads "1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen" is the one that is, as obvious as this sounds, in widescreen.

Further more, the front of the case is marked with a band across the bottom. It will read Fullscreen or Widescreen.

If you bought the disc used, either from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, the disc is likely fullscreen. Neither chain gets in widescreen DVDs for rent of they have a choice. I will warn you, my Hollywood Video had all widescreen cases that had fullscreen discs in them and this seems to have happened at other locations.

16. Don

Don Second Unit

Ken i got the Movie New from Suncoast and yes i did find it and it doe's say widescreen on it. and it does say the screen size you mentioned but it covers the whole tv up. go figure. oh and thanks for the Help. Don,