Jurassic Park 2 or 3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by elMalloc, Nov 30, 2002.

1. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Quick, I'm ordering an HP printer cartridge from buy.com and they have a $10 off $100 for visa holders.
    My dad likes Jurassic Park 1 and wants to see 2 or 3 (wanted to buy them he said, but I don't recall either of them being that good). Which would you take 2 or 3?
    QUICK - Thanks,
    ELmO[​IMG] :b

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Without a doubt 3!!!!!
    None of them live up to the awe and wonder of 1 but 3 gives 90 mins of non-stop action

3. elMalloc

OK So 3 it is! Though, I just stumbled upon SUPERMAN I DVD for only $15. Now I wonder if I should get Superman or Jurassic Park 3.

Superman would be $5 and JP3 is $10 after the coupon. ARGH!

-ELmO

4. elMalloc

well, bought superman 1 special edition.

jurassic park can wait.. =D
    -ELmO

5. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

You've already made your choice, but The Lost World is BY FAR the superior film. It's also my favourite of the whole series, though most people prefer the original. JP3 offered nothing new, and had annoying characters who took way too long to get eaten.

Mark

6. elMalloc

I'll get Lost World/JP3 for xmas for my dad..he also wants a war film - we already have saving private ryan - how's band of Brothers sound?

Thanks for the replies,
    ELmO

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I'd have gone for JP3 over that pile of filth and waste of celluloid and silicon that was is TLW. But of the three, Superman: The Movie is by far the best[​IMG]

8. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Lost World has some of the most atrociously bad plotting I've ever seen. There are so many plot holes, the actors are on the verge of cracking up every minute. BUT, and this is a big but, it is an infintely better film that JP3, which HAS NO PLOT. The action scenes in TLW are great. Superb even. There's some superb direction, of very questionable material, and it manages to be a very engaging action film, despite the crater sized plot holes. The third film is enjoyably action-packed, but is so lacking in substance, I guarantee you won't remember a minute of it after. Definitely, definitely, definitely go for Lost World. In fact, I don't own it, I'm going to order it now, thanks for bringing this issue up!
    Bring on JP4, and let's hope the screenwriter didn't eat a stupid-sandwich before writing it!

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Both JP2 and JP3 are made for pure entertainment and nothing more. But I prefer the former as Spielberg is better in crafting tension in his action scenes than Johnston.
    However, Superman blows both of them away. In the end, you made the right choice.
    ~Edwin

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

11. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I also prefer TLW over JP3, but I really like JP3, it's just plain fun, plus I just love seeing a classy actor like William H Macy run and scream like a banshee being chased by Dinosaurs. [​IMG]
    As for Band of Brothers, I say this with the utmost sincerity...RUN, don't walk and get this for your dad!!!!!
    It's simply the best mini series ever produced about ANY topic, and I dare say even surpasses Saving Private Ryan as the best portrayal of WWII. I guarentee that after your father watches it, he'll drown you in thank you's. [​IMG]

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I loved The Lost World as well. The clifftop sequence was a great one ... "Mom's very angry"

13. Charles Ulysses

Tough decision where The Lost World & Jurassic Park 3 are concerned. Both had incredibly terrible endings and don't benefit from a complete lack of plot or the fact that they stem from a rather mediocre adaption of an otherwise cool novel.
    In the end I guess it's not a tough decision at all... Superman: The Movie - Special Edition.
    Otisburg?!

14. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

15. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

I actually really like JP: TLW. JP3 is boring as hell. Whenever i watch it i suddenly crack up, its such a stupid movie. JP2 at leats had somewhat of a good story. JP3 is just sad. There no point to it.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

16. StevenJ

StevenJ Stunt Coordinator

3 is much better!
    Most likely because Speilberg didn't direct it!!!! [​IMG]

17. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

18. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

19. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Dan,
    Thanks for the info. I do have THE LOST WORLD on DVD, but have never looked at the extras. I'll take a look.

20. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I much prefer Spielberg's 'The Lost World' to Joe Johnston's 'JP3', and I even liked the nod to Godzilla ending (loved the Japanese running and screaming from the T-Rex gag), and the cliffhanging sequence was absolutely superb, vintage Spielberg.
    Yes JP3 was faster moving (it was only 85mins sans end credits) but it was routinely directed and uninspired, the best bit was the Pteranodons, but the new monster, the Spinosaurus, looked fake even when cgi'd, it looked like an Irwin Allen 'fins stuck on lizard' thing, horrible, and the ending just petered out, ho hum.