Junk Faxes

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Erik.Ha, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Anybody else being bombarded by unsolicited junk faxes and being driven nuts by it?

2. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

We get them at work often. I always wanted to look up the fax number for the company sending them and return a fax of a black piece of construction paper.

See how they like having their ink used up.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Michael, when you do, make sure to loop it around on itself while it's being fed through the fax machine, and just let it keep going, and going...

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Or you can take the return number and complain to the fcc. Junk faxes are illegal.

5. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

What I love is when some dolt tries sending a fax to the wrong number -- namely my voice line -- and then just keeps on retrying all day long. Gee, Einstein, do you think maybe there's a reason your precious fax isn't going through?

I had this happen a few months ago and it drove me so batty that I *69'd the incoming call, looked up the number on Google, and tracked down the company that was pestering me. The receptionist was a bit confused by my call but at least the faxes stopped shortly thereafter.

6. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Michael:

A lot of time, what you describe is from "WAR DAILERS." Fax.com and some of the other big "faxspammers" dupe unsuspecting people and businesses into hosting a dialer, which then calls EVERY TELEPHONE NUMBER COMBINATION looking for fax tones. If they don't get them, they just keep trying.

Mine have been coming into my house at 3 am... and Im getting SERIOUSLY PISSED.

The FCC is worthless. Unless you have a stack of about 1000, they don't care. But I've seriously considered suing the advertisers themselves.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Michael:

This is more likely the dolt's machine than the dolt himself. Most fax machines that have the ability to scan and store documents for transmission will retry numbers that they failed to connect to automatically. The default number of retries on many machines is 20, so if the user didn't change that and lots of people use the fax in the interim, it is easy to see how a fax machine will keep calling a "bad" number repeatedly for the better part of a day - with no human intervention and nobody even being aware of it. This can also happen with pooled fax modems and fax servers. Chances are the person you complained to genuinely had no idea what you were talking about. It isn't like she stood at the fax manchine, manually dialed your number and then ignored the voice she heard when you answered.

Regards,

Joe

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

You can file a class action lawsuit if you are majorly aggravated by this.

I received (by unsolicited fax no less) a notification that I was a member of a winning class in a suit against a Fax company. The award was $375,000. Unfortunately, it was to be divided among 100,000 winners. On the bright side, it did bankrupt the company and put them out of business.

9. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

In my case it was just a local plumbing supply company so it wasn't an evil war dialer at work. I realize that it wasn't done on purpose but whenever I've sent faxes I've always waited to make sure they went through before wandering back to my coffee and donut.

10. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Fax.com is basically gonna be dead also. The FCC slammed them big time.

11. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Mike- I hope youre right about Fax.com, because Ive received 5 faxes from them last week alone... Word is they're running and hiding, but not giving (or paying) up.