Junk Email, Times Two...Chinese Spammers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Feb 7, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Does anyone else get flooded by these things as much as I get regular email?

I use Outlook Express, and sometimes they'll automatically pop up websites when I try to block their addresses. But, sadly, that dosn't always work because I keep on getting more and more.

Is there any type of filter I can get, or ask Prodigy to install on their main mail server, so it can automatically delete these annoyances at the source? Then we have to just figure out a way to block regular spam...

Damn that Congress law stating it's legal to send Spam so long as you leave a message stating how to remove yourself from their lists....These congressmen know nothing about junk mail. Half of the times the address dosn't work, and when they see they have a valid one, they just sell it to other spammers. I'd like to get some congress people on these junk mail lists and see how long it takes them to outlaw spamming....

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I get 100% foreign spam. I never get anything in english- all chinese.

Since I don't have chinese or korean characters installed, my jumk mails looks like:

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Man what kind of places are you guys giving your email address too? I never get that kind of stuff.

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

There are various ways to handle this, one that's pretty good and free is ePrompter, you can search for it in the CNet download area. What it lets you do is to look at the subject/from/to line of mail without download, and you can just delete them without ever loading them (from the mail server to your machine) and as it does not do HTML or anything but text, if you read your message before loading it, it won't popup any windows or spread any virus.

5. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Vince, those are most likely Unicode characters. If you're running Windows 9598ME, even if you had the language pack installed, chances are you wouldnt be able to see the characters