What's new

Junior Wells' COME ON IN THIS HOUSE SACD, highly recommended! (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:emoji_thumbsup: I've listened to Junior's album 3 or 4 times now and like it more after each listening. It's a hybrid/multi-channel release from Telarc and it sounds good in stereo or multi-channel. There's no really silly gimmickry in the multi-channel mix here. Occasionaly they might over use the sides a bit putting guitars there but there is no panning. I prefer the stereo mix myself.
Junior Well's has been around blowing blues harp for like forever. He'll never be a household word but hey, that the blues man. He howls the lyrics plenty well enough and has chosen a flock of lesser known, depending on what you know I quess, standards for this 14 cut, nearly 70 minute extravaganza.
This is a mostly acoustic set. They do use electric bass on some cuts and the lead guitar, mostly slide, parts are electric but they keep the volume on the guitars low, mostly. There are a half dozen quest slide gutarist sprinkled around the album. On I'M GONNA MOVE TO KANSAS CITY Derek Trucks' slide guitar comes hard out of the hole but in a few seconds when Junior starts singing it gets toned down. He gets to take the volume back up again for a short solo out in the middle of the song.
I really liked his take on Bobby Charles' WHY ARE PEOPLE LIKE THAT, and the honky tonk piano is infectious on Little Walter's YOU BETTER WATCH YOURSELF. There are a couple of Sonny Boy Williamson songs here too, MILLION YEAR BLUES and THE GOAT. He even throws in a Tracy Chapman song, GIVE ME ONE REASON. On GIVE ME ONE GOOD REASON Sonny Landreath's electric slide guitar sounds acoustic, but the linear notes say electric. Like many of the other cuts the guitarists keep the volume down so as to not drown out the other instuments.
The only Wells' originals on the album are the title cut COME ON IN THIS HOUSE. I love the way he wails, "....I'm begging youuuuu, I'm begging youuuuu to come on in this house..." I wish I could post a sound byte! His harp solo on this one is first rate too. The other Wells' originals is the brief WHAT MY MOMA TOLD ME intro to THAT'S ALL RIGHT. I quess the two constitute a medley, sort'a...?
I have to admit I haven't bothered to listen to the CD layer yet. I will sometime when I dub a few fav cuts onto an MD compilation. I love these hybrid discs! Move over Sony!!!!
If you at all enjoy blues and R & B I think this one house you'll want to visit.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I agree totally. The Junior Wells SACD is one phenomenal disc. I posted a review about a month ago on www.audioasylum.com when I first received this disc from Telarc - and another person shot back at me disagreeing that the performance was top notch.
I have alot of Buddy Guy stuff, a few cuts with Junior, so this guy on the asylum turns me on to some other titles to choose from. I know it isn't an SACD - but you have to get "Hoodoo Man Blues" on the Delmark label - it is real blues when Junior was in his heyday. Buddy Guy plays guitar on the whole album - now that should be an SACD.
Either way, though, "Come On In This House" is quality Junior Wells recorded near to the time his career, for obvious reasons, was coming to an end.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael,

Thanks for posting this review. I have few SACDs from the smaller labels (Telarc, Rounder, etc.), and I appreciate your views on such discs. I would like to expand horizons with some of these titles (e.g., Allison Krauss, Jacintha, Junior Wells). Again, thanks. Happy listening.

Michael,

I appreciate your views here too.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Michael, I was reading about those Delmark albums in the linear notes. I wonder if they're stille in print? How bad can they be with Buddy an all...? So much blues, so little time!
Keith, you need to join my Sony second movement. When there's absoutely nothing else on SACD worth buying, consider a Sony disc...;) Best wishes guyz!

Michael_T

Second Unit
I was reading about those Delmark albums in the linear notes. I wonder if they're still in print? How bad can they be with Buddy an all...? So much blues, so little time!
They are in print - since after the suggestion I went to CDnow.com and purchased both "Hoodoo Man Blues" and "On Tap" - both quality blues albums. Highly recommended.

And just for your information - the closest Borders to me had both titles in stock for about the same price I paid from CDnow - so yes they seem to be very readily available on redbook CD. I even think there might be an audiophile vinyl pressing of "Hoodoo Man Blues" available from AcousticSounds or ElusiveDisc - but it is about $30.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks