What's new

Jungle Cruise (2021) (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
As long as you keep your expectations modest, and are ready for some bad puns, you'll probably enjoy it.
It wouldn’t be Jungle Cruise without plenty of those puns! 😁

Just got back from it with the family and we loved it. The cast was quite good and the story was fun. The action was occasionally a little messy with the camera work and cutting, but overall was very entertaining.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
It was a great way to pass a couple of hours during lockdown.. Reminds me of when I went on Dieney's jUNGE CRUISE RIDE BACK IN 1967.

It was an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours during lockdown..It reminded me of when I did the Jungle Cruise ride in Disneyland back in 1967.

a GREAT

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I decided to brave the theatre in order to see this in 3D. I didn't enjoy it as much as other people here. It wasn't a terrible film. There was plenty of action, cheese humor in the form of bad puns and the leads all did a good job; however, the film just didn't engage me very much.

It ran a little.over two hours, but felt longer to me. I couldn't help but think that.it could have been shortened somewhat. I know I wasn't being engaged much when I became aware of how sore my ass was getting from sitting in the terrible theatre seating in my local theatre.
Also, I take back what.I said about ATMOS in my comments about "Black Widow". My local theatre does not have ATMOS and it shows. The soundtrack had considerably less height on this film compared to BW with out ATMOS.

The 3D was good and there was some forward projection, but there was nothing in the movie that made me want to flinch or jump out of my seat. Either the forward projection in these films is poorly done or I don't notice the effect as much as some people. None of them has ever given me that feeling of wanting to move my head like I did when I saw a short 3D IMAX film at EXPO86 in Vancouver.

In that film, a sequence where a couple of boards are pushed at your face was pronounced. Nothing in any of the 3D films I have seen since has ever given such a pronounced effect as that EXPO86 film did.

The last thing was some of the CGI critters that would occasionally appear in foreground shots looked off, like the compositing was bad. They had that "Cool World" effect where the object flet.like it was playing over the live action, rather than as a part of it. It has been pointed out here that the choice to make the CGI look phony was deliberate. If that is the case then it was a bad decision

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was ok. Seeing it in IMAX certainly helped. Derivative diversion for a few hours. By the way, Zero chemistry between the two leads I thought.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was debating seeing this but after reading about it and all the things they had to do to make it fit the formula (in this case Pirates of the Caribbean) I sort of lost interest. This and the stuff they "had to do" with characters for other reasons just to me becomes so over the top ridiculous that I end up not wanting to spend time on it. I mean, I think the days of just writing a story with this kind of film are long gone. You just aren't allowed to do that now. I was kind of interested in the tribute to The African Queen side of it but man every clip I have seen looks pretty awful.

Hopefully, it plays better when you see it and is a "summer fun" kind of thing.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I do have a question about this picture based on some comments I saw about it. I saw a review where the woman mentioned the Edgar Ramirez character and she said he spoke only Spanish in the film but his dialogue was not subtitled so she did not know what he said in the picture because she spoke no Spanish. Is this the case? I mean just curious if that's how Disney released this.

Here is the review. Not sure who this woman is or if she is a legit reviewer or someone that shills for the studios.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I recall subtitles throughout the spoken Spanish dialog. Don’t know what she’s talking about.

Edit. She obviously watched it on Disney plus and probably had the subtitles turned off. Based on her “review” not surprised.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I recall subtitles throughout the spoken Spanish dialog. Don’t know what she’s talking about.

Edit. She obviously watched it on Disney plus and probably had the subtitles turned off. Based on her “review” not surprised.

She did love the chemistry between the two leads though. :P

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was ok. Seeing it in IMAX certainly helped. Derivative diversion for a few hours. By the way, Zero chemistry between the two leads I thought.

Agree. Felt Johnson was wrong for the role, as he lacks the sarcastic bite that would make the role work better - like a Clooney would've been more appropriate.

Lots of "Mummy" (1999), Indiana Jones, "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "African Queen" in there.

Messy story - too messy, as it really should've been simple. I don't think we needed any of the villains, much less 2 sets of baddies.

A simple story about the quest and threats seen in the jungle would've made more sense than the tacked-on villains - and it also would feel more true to the ride that inspired the film.

It's not a bad movie but it seems assembled by committee, as if those involved calculated the movie to become some kind of Generic Action Adventure. There's little to no real inspiration to be found here - it's a mix of inspirations that seems like it should become fun and exciting but never quite gets there, mainly because it seems so obviously borrowed from other sources.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just came back from seeing this at our local IMAX. We found it very disappointing. It starts out pleasantly enough with a rather strong "African Queen" vibe and then takes a very unexpected turn.

SPOILER:
Suddenly we are faced with the supernatural à la "Pirates of The Caribbean" and things get absolutely ridiculous.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
It is absolutely ridiculous, but strangely that's part of what I liked about.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
We saw this today (rainy day on vacation) and the whole family really enjoyed it. I thought it was terrific fun, right out of the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies (the likes of which have been sorely lacking in recent years). Emily Blunt was absolutely terrific; Marvel or another big franchise should snap her up, because she is as strong a leading lady as we’ve seen in ages. And I can finally say that I’ve seen something with Dwayne Johnson that I really like (the other exception being Moana). I’ve always liked him, but never the films he was in. But I always thought that in the right role, he’d be great, and he was. It was exciting and silly in the right measures; it even had a tender moment or two. I’ve long been a fan of the classic theme park ride on which this is based, and they did it proud.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

What usually happens in a case like this is that when subtitles are off in an English language film, subtitles will come on for the foreign language. An exception being when the film makers don’t want the audience to understand what is being said, and that does happen.

I’ve had subtitles off and gotten subtitles for Klingon.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I saw it this afternoon and had a really fun time. Lots of action, a few sweet moments and cartoony villains. Perfect Saturday afternoon movie.

I also loved the many nods to the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland, which I loved when I was a kid. Hearing some of those same bad jokes today made me smile. One time, our Skipper at Disneyland had a bit worked out with the skipper on the deck, who threw him a rope as we came to the dock. He grabbed the rope and swung from the boat to the dock. The distance was at most 6 feet and not over water, but to my seven year old eyes he might as well have been Dwayne Johnson. Another time the skipper lifted me on his shoulders for part of the ride, which was totally awesome. My affection for the ride probably boosted my enjoyment today.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I saw this over the weekend at my son's house. He rented it for the kids to have "movie night." It was OK - not great and has obvious Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean influences. The horrid puns from the ride are there and a few lines gave me a chuckle. It's your basic disposable Disney summer comedy/adventure/family type movie. The kids (ages 5, 7, 9, and 10) all enjoyed it. I'd watch it again.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
So this is Indiana Jones + Pirates of the Caribbean. Wouldn't say no.
With Emily Blunt, who has not done a bad movie yet. I'll see anything she does.

Saw it today, and loved it. Good chemistry between Emily and Dwayne, hilarious dialogue, over the top story, of course, but it worked for me. Thought most CGI was pretty impressive.

krisamarin

Grip
Real Name
Kris
Expected myself to get bored halfway through based on the reviews but surprisingly Jungle Cruise wasn't as bad as what critics were saying. It was a pleasure to watch with a little bit of comedy, adventure and romance!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks