What's new

June HT tour in Austin. (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I'm starting a new thread for planning a home theater tour in Austin during June. By the end of June, many of the HTs currently under construction should be ready to show off.

I suggest we do the meet on June 19 or 26 (preferably the 26th). The guys who have kids should have received and set up their Father's Day toys by then. :)

So if you've made some changes to your HT and want to show it off again, please post and let us know which day(s) work for you...

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Slim, thanks for gettin' the ball rolling. I was hoping we wouldn't have to wait so long for the next meet. Do you have insider information that a HT or 2 won't be ready until then?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of HT Tours, I went to the 2004 Showcase of Homes today and I simply can't say enough how terrific this showcase is this year. Not only were the homes full of really interesting architectural touches using some of the most impressive building materials. I was particular impressed with this one wood used for the front doors of the Sterling Custom Home (107 Shore Oaks Ct.). The media rooms were quite nice, especially the one in the Calcasieu Bros. home (108 Shore Oaks Ct.) where they converted what would have been the unattached guest house into a dedicated theater. The best sounding home theater though was in the Sterling Custom Home. Those JBL Synthesis speakers sounded amazing! Of course Scott would be disappointed as there were no Bose speakers to be found in any of the homes. ;)

The Partners In Building home (515 Golden Bear Dr.) used a very cleverly designed sliding pocket door to their home theater. It was a foot deep book shelf designed to look like they were built-in shelves. It made for a very effective sound dampening door as well as a clever way to hide the theater. It reminded me of Chad's wonderful speakeasy-style swinging shelf door in his home.

There were some pretty interesting swimming pool designs, something Linda and I had wanted for our current home, but will have to wait until the kids are reasonably good swimmers.

Besides homes, home automation, and home theater, the tour also offered a nice car show with some of the hottest sports and luxury cars parked in each of the homes driveways. The new Dodge Viper was certainly nice candy for the eyes, as was the new Porsche Turbo and Cayenne Turbo. They had a Jaguar, Mercedes, Lexus, and a few others, but the car that surprisingly caught my eye was the new Nissan 350Z convertible. What a beautiful design, both inside and out. The headlight design was especially interesting.

As a bonus, they had five chefs from some of the best restaurants in the area serving dinner in the garages of five of the homes. Not only were we treated to a multiple course 3 star dinner, but they also had live music!

This was easily the best Showcase of Homes in many years and well worth the visit, and not just for the home theaters!

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Looking forward to the 26th. I will put it on my calendar and I am looking forward to seeing all the new upgrades and Chad's completed HT.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Completed?! Does that mean I have to finally finish that last 2%? :D

Unless something unexpected pops up, I'm happy to host a leg of the tour.

Mark J

Grip
This date works well for me. I am willing to put my theater on the tour. I loved the last tour. "Home theater police..." :laugh: It doesn't get any better than that!

--Mark

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
I would also love to put our HT on the tour, we should be done by then. We are going to install the flooring this weekend, next weekend is the carpet. I'm sure that I will receive multiple tickets from the HT Police but I'm up for it!:D

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Everyone in the group probably recently recevied their Memorial Day weekend 10% off coupons from Best Buy in the mail. However I wanted to make sure everyone knew of an even better deal, starting May 27th Tower Records is starting their going out of business sale. Everything will be 20% off then on June 10th that increases to 30%. The only bad thing about this is that parking sucks around Tower Records.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
**HTF Tour Panning Update**

The last three tour stops are now set and confirmed with approximate times.
The Southern leg of the HTF Tour -

Chad Anson's Lakeway Hillside Theater,5PM-ish

then shoot down 71 to Manchaca and Slaughter area for a listening demo at

The GRisley Den, 6:30 PM-ish

finally a short drive away we will close with

John Prator's HT (no nickname developed yet),7:30 PM-ish

At John's there will be no schedule to maintain, so John says we can hang out for as long as we can tolerate John and his wife. :p) Just kidding, no really!

Also we need to come up with some plans for some food and drinks to have at John's place, since it will be dinnertime.

If you would like to add your HT to the tour please email me by clicking on the button above. However, personally I think we should not add too many more stops, maybe one or two more. More than that and I think the day will get too busy, and the chance of having a great shindig at John's decreases. Also at one of these first stops we could also talk about carpooling if not before then, since gas is ridiculously high.

So again if you would like to be one of these few remaining tour stops please email me.

I would also like to receive an email from anyone and everyone planning to attend this tour with the subject line "HTF tour RSVP", so that I can send out more updates and eventually directions.

P.S. John it was good talking to you today and look forward to chatting with you some more (BTW you should come to the happy hour thing on June 3rd mentioned in the Austin movie nights thread). I was glad to hear that we have another true audiophile, I mean this in the good sense of the word, joining the group.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I can't wait to have everyone over. The theater is really coming together. I just replaced all 6 of the standard can lights with directional spots and a good dimmer. This really changed the mood in the room to the better. Hopefully the new curtains for the side walls will be finished soon.
Hey Nils, I finally broke down and swapped out the projector bulb before she blew. Wow its like a new projector. I think we may have to fire up a little Xbox Nascar Thunder.

Greg

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
Was good talking to you also. I don't think my system is on the same level as yours(and some others in this group)but it gets me by and my Wife loves it so theres some seriously big points right there!!:D As for the Happy Hour, it's really hard for us to make anything during the week, shift work and a child, so probably won't make it but I am determined to meet you guys as soon as we get this HT done. When the HT Tour makes it to our house I will have some food, snacks, beer and some "harder" type drinks for you Guys & Gals, some of you will bring your better halves right???

On another note, I ordered some room treatments yesterday. I decided to try out those Real Traps (realtraps.com). I started out with four of his Minitraps and two Microtraps(I don't know where this guy came up with Mini and Micro cuz they ain't small!). They should be here next week. I'll see what they do but I'm sure I'll have to order some more. What sucks is they are going to cover up most of the trim we put up!:frowning: Oh well, must have good sound or whats the point, right?

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I would like to bring up about our HT/Music room is that it is only a four seater. Room is 17x21 so it's not tiny but as of right now there are only four chairs. Don't know if this will cause a problem or not, hopefully not, there is still plenty of standing/sitting on floor room and the rest of the house is pretty roomy. Well, just thought i should bring this up.
John

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Only a four seater? I call shotgun! :D

I don't think it'll be a problem at all -- most of us are pretty easy to please.

My wife is wary about coming to these events as she's tended to be the only woman present. Says that it reminds her of when she used to visit me at the engineering school in undergrad. ;) Actually, she likes to come to the meets but may have a baby shower that she has to attend.

I'll have the popcorn machine fired up at the Anson Hillside Cinema. Please let us know if we can bring anything to the Pratorplex.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member

OH, NO! I sure hope I don't remind your wife of an engineer. oops! obviously you're an engineer Sorry 'bout that :b "The jury is instructed to disregard the last remark from the outta control witness."

Would you guys like to do a grill 'n movie or grill 'n poker night Sunday evening? I'm getting no response to my offering Hank's Cafe Americain for Sat and Sun evenings. My fault, of course, because of my short notice, but anyway, whoever wants to get together, lemme know.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely game for a poker game as it's been a while since our last one. As usual though I must continue to be considered only a 'Maybe', especially because my in-laws are going to be visiting us for the Holiday.

(speaking of last minute Movie Nights…)

Hank, get off the computer and get over here so we can start the movie!

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
My In-laws are leaving Sat so I think I can make a Sunday night movie/game.

Chad,
Jennifer will probably join us for the tour, she likes checking out the designs, so tell Pelan to come along too. If John's wife joins we'll have at least three sane people there.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
For the HT tour, we are close to having our 4th tour stop confirmed. Chris Gomez just needs to clear it with his wife then he is in.

It sounds like Gomez has a pretty sweet set-up that will have some speakers most are unfamilar with, DALI. He also has a Panasonic AE300 projector like Chad plus some other goodies I am sure.

Once Gomez is confirmed, I am going to suggest that he be our last person to add and make his house the first stop on the tour. This way we are not overcommiting ourselves to try to do too much and will hopefully leave folks with more time or energy to hang-out a bit longer at John's at the end of the tour.

Gomez is also located in a pretty good spot, he is in the Stone Canyon subdivision off of 620, which I believe is in Round Rock. So his house will be convienient for the majority of the group to convene on since most live north and then hopefully from there we can try to make arrangements for some carpooling to the other stops. also of course being off of 620 the route to Chad's will be very direct and probably about as fast a route as any to get from RR to Lakeway.

I have also sent an email to Dave Elliott asking for him to come and tote along the BenQ 8700. At the very least to fire it up at John's place if he hasn't already pulled the trigger by then on one, and also to possibly set-up for a comparison at say Chad's house. That way the group can see it side by side with the AE300 and also two types of screens.

Please feel free to throw out any other ideas you would like to try to incorporate into the tour.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Ok I gave everyone fair warning about the Tower Records clsoing sale. Well hopefully no one was hoping to go down there and stock up on high-fidelity blues recordings, because I just bought it all. Yup all, well at least on vinyl.

Just to let you know they easily look to have the best selcetion in town (probably by over several hundred albums) of DVD-A and SACD's. The store closes on June 13th, 20% discount right now and that bumps up to 30% on the 10th.

Here is my haul:
John Lee Hooker, Boogie Chillin, Audio Fidelity SACD
Lightnin Hopkins, Broken Hearted Blues, Audio Fidelity SACD
Patricia Barber, Companion, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab SACD
Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio, Autumn in Seattle, FIM SACD
Stereolab, Margerine Eclipse, LP
The Reverend Gary Davis, Live at Newport, LP
Lightnin Hopkins, Live at Newport, LP
Lightnin Hopkins, Lightnin Strikes, LP
John Lee Hooker, Burnin, LP
Leadbelly, Good Morning Blues, LP
Jimmy Reed, Rockin with Reed, LP
Albert King, Born Under a Bad Sign, LP
O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, LP

Great stuff!
In terms of best sonics my bet for the winner will be the Yamamoto trio album, although the Patricia Barber album will be close.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Wow! You did quite well, Tubes! That's tempting. Of course I'll wait till the 10th and there probably wont' be any good stuff left. Hmmm...maybe on the way to Scholz Garten next Thursday evening...

Tubes, I just got your message - I don't have Mark's phone number. It's possible that Colton would be availabe to play poker tomorrow night. I'll call him later to ask.

Later...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks