June Criterions!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Mar 30, 2004.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

The Lower Depths: Two Films (Special Edition Double-Disc Boxed Set)
    The Criterion Collection

Directed by Akira Kurosawa, Jean Renoir

Starring Toshiro Mifune (1957), Isuzu Yamada (1957), Minoru Chiaki (1957), Jean Gabin (1936), Louis Jouvet (1936)

• New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound

• Original theatrical trailer

• A documentary on the making of The Lower Depths, part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create

• Audio commentary featuring Japanese-film expert Donald Richie (A Hundred Years of Japanese Film)

• New essay by Keiko McDonald (From Book to Screen: Modern Japanese Literature in Film) and Thomas Rimer (A Reader’s Guide to Japanese Literature)

• New and improved English subtitle translation by renowned Japanese-film translator Linda Hoaglund

• Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

• Cast biographies by Stephen Prince (The Warrior’s Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa)

• 1.33:1 aspect ratio

• Monaural

• Jean Renoir's The Lower Depths features:

• Introduction to the film by Jean Renoir

• New essay by film scholar Alexander Sesonske, author of Jean Renoir: The French Films 1924–1939

• New and improved English subtitle translation

Monaural

The Criterion Collection is proud to present two dramatically different interpretations of Maxim Gorsky's classic play by two of cinema's greatest masters.

Jean Renoir's The Lower Depths

(Les Bas-fonds—1936)

Made in the 1930s, amidst the rise of Hitler in Germany and the Popular Front in France, Jean Renoir took license with Maxim Gorky’s source material for The Lower Depths. Aware that the plight of Gorky’s desperates might sit uneasily in his own country on the edge of war, Renoir never lets his derelicts sink quite to the depths, offering them—like in so many of his other films—the possibility of hope. Marking the first time the director would work with Jean Gabin (Grand Illusion) and featuring the great Louis Jouvet (Quai des Orfèvres, Carnival in Flanders), The Lower Depths demonstrates one of cinema’s greatest directors transforming a classic play into his own terms for a distinct time.

Akira Kurosawa's The Lower Depths (Donzoko—1957)

Director Akira Kurosawa’s transformation of Maxim Gorky’s classic proletarian play, The Lower Depths, demonstrates another side of the acclaimed filmmaker’s remarkable versatility. In contrast to his usual broad canvas and kinetic filmmaking style, here he explores the possibilities of the stage, finding intimacy in his examination of a group of destitutes set, ironically, within Japan’s prosperous Edo period. Starring an ensemble cast that includes Toshiro Mifune, Isuzu Yamada, and Minoru Chiaki, this adaptation is a Buddhist meditation on the human condition, a poignant yet comic investigation of one of Kurosawa’s favorite themes—the conflict between illusion and reality.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

• Three new interviews about director Pier Paolo Pasolini: Bernardo Bertolucci, an assistant to Pasolini on his early films; Tonino Delli Colli, cinematographer on eleven of Pasolini’s fourteen films; and Enzo Siciliano, author of Pasolini: A Biography

• Pier Paolo Pasolini (1995), a 55-minute documentary by filmmaker Ivo Barnabò Micheli covering the career of the controversial artist

• La Ricotta (1963), a 35-minute film by Pasolini about a director who sets out to make a film about the Passion of Jesus

• Poster gallery

• New essay by novelist and cultural critic Gary Indiana

• Monaural

Anna Magnani is Mamma Roma, a middle-aged prostitute who attempts to extricate herself from her sordid past for the sake of her son. Filmed in the great tradition of Italian neorealism, Mamma Roma offers an unflinching look at the struggle for survival in postwar Italy, and highlights director Pier Paolo Pasolini’s lifelong fascination with the marginalized and dispossessed. Though banned upon its release in Italy for obscenity, today Mamma Roma is considered a classic: a glimpse at a country’s most controversial director in the process of finding his style and a powerhouse performance by one of cinema’s greatest actresses.

"Combines formal audacity, unflinching candor, and heartbreaking compassion to produce a work of shattering beauty."
    —TIME OUT FILM GUIDE

1962 • Italy • Runtime 110 min. • BW • DVD • In Italian with optional English subtitles •

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

A Woman is a Woman
    The Criterion Collection

Directed by Jean-Luc Godard

Starring Anna Karina, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean-Claude Brialy

"Deliriously kooky…staccato bursts of adorable visual jokes, precocious editing and in-crowd movie asides…Godard’s mischief is front and center."
    —TIME OUT NEW YORK

• New digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Raoul Coutard, with restored image and sound and enhanced for widescreen televisions

• An early short film by director Jean-Luc Godard

• Qui êtes-vous Anna Karina: Excerpts from a 1966 French television interview with Karina, Brialy, and Serge Gainsbourg

• Collection of A Woman Is a Woman posters from around the world

• New essay by film critic J. Hoberman, author of The Dream Life: Movies, Media, and the Mythology of the Sixties

• 2.35:1 aspect ratio

• Monaural

With A Woman Is a Woman (Une Femme est une femme), compulsively innovative director Jean-Luc Godard presents “a neorealist musical, that is, a contradiction in terms.” Featuring French superstars Anna Karina, Jean-Paul Belmondo, and Jean-Claude Brialy at their peak of adorability, A Woman Is a Woman is a sly, playful tribute to—and interrogation of—the American musical comedy, showcasing Godard’s signature wit and intellectual acumen. The film tells the story of exotic dancer Angéla (Karina) as she attempts to have a child with her unwilling lover Émile (Brialy). In the process, she finds herself torn between him and his best friend Alfred (Belmondo). A dizzying compendium of color, humor, and the music of renowned composer Michel Legrand, A Woman Is a Woman finds the young Godard at his warmest and most accessible, reveling in and scrutinizing the mechanics of his great obsession— the cinema.

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

A Woman is a Woman will be in my collection.

More Godard is good.

6. Tom June

Tom June Agent

Awesome! Cannot wait 'til The Lower Depths. Keep the Kurosawa coming Criterion.[​IMG]

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    The other 2 films are interesting but I can't wait for A Woman Is A Woman!!!

Jeff

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The Lower Depths specs = [​IMG]

9. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Sadly, more movies I've never even heard of before. I might as well resign my HTF membership. [​IMG]

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

no that is the wrong perception, you are here because you love discovering old claasics

[​IMG]

11. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

I cannot believe that Criterion are going to release this!

[​IMG] ...not[​IMG]

12. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I'm thrilled about all three but especially the Pasolini.

13. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Still waiting on news on "Eyes Without a Face," which Glenn Erickson has said in his DVD Savant column is still in the pipeline.

14. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I think I'm going to want all of these...

15. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I'll probably get them, then sell them on (can't easily rent Criterions in the UK) - a month for minor films by major directors, that's for sure.

16. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Of the 22 Criterions released & announced so far in 2004, there are only three that haven't enticed me (The Samurai Trilogy, Tunes of Glory, and The Testament of Dr. Mabuse)--and I may eventually pony up for the latter two. So far, no major disappointments, but it's a damned expensive hobby.

I'll definitely go three-for-three come June.

BTW, covers are up for the Pasolini and Godard:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The latter--in particular--is brilliant. When they do get around to posting the artwork for The Lower Depths: Two Films, I hope they'll keep the cover they released last year for the Kurosawa, which may be my favorite Criterion artwork of all-time:

[​IMG]

17. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

Criterion Kurosawa and Pasolini discs are always welcome, but I'd prefer less Godard and more Resnais, Robbe-Grillet, and Antonioni..

18. PaulP

PaulP Producer

The Lower Depths cover is sure to change. When it first was unveiled, there was no second film in the set.

Actually it might not. Just reading the specs over again, it sounds like it might be a two-disc boxset, meaning two separate titles.

19. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    Love the cover for the Godard film.

Any idea on an exact date? How reliable are Criterion for sticking to scheduled release dates?

20. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Criterion for the most part are pretty good about getting DVDs out on release dates, though there are a number of situations where they postpone a release by 1 or 2 weeks.