junction box for speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jack w, Dec 7, 2003.

1. jack w

jack w Agent

Can i run my speaker wire in the same junction box as my power and phone and cable ,in other words a four gang box -1)outlet 2)outlet 3)phoneand cable 4)speakerwire binding posts.
    Iam not sure if the electric will cause interference with the audio signals.
    Any suggestions?

2. Ufdah

Ufdah Auditioning

Well you can do whatever you want but there's a possibilty of the AC putting some noise into your speaker cable and even feeding back to the amp creating a humm in all the speakers. It's best to stay a few inches away from any AC power wires and if you have to cross any do it at 90 degree angles or perpindicular to the poewr wire. (less chance of induced noise that way)

3. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

Besides the obvious consequences if a short occurs between high and low voltage conductors, The National Electrical Code (NEC) prohibits the mixing of low voltage(Voice, data, video) with power. There are box dividers available to provide the required separation. Check www.smarthome.com.

4. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Actually, low voltage wires don't even need a full box. I use a combination of backless boxes (for heavier work) and wire frames used for phone jacks. Once you put on the face plate, you'll never know the difference.