Jumping into UMD's

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Scarpa, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

Apr 8, 1999
    David Scarpa
    Last Week I was on Vacation in Maine and I came across this Great Record store that had some awsome prices on CD's ,DVD's and also UMD's for the Sony PSP. Now I've not been Buying UMD's mainly due to their High Prices in many locations (Eb's being the Worse) but they had some great Prices ranging around $12 for most Disks. Since I was On vacation and laying about a bit I decided to buy some Movies. Up to that point I was doing conversions of Movies and TV shows on my Gig Stick.

I picked up Starship Troopers, Napoleon Dynamite, Black Hawk Down, T2, and Hellboy. I had seen the great quality on the included Spiderman 2 disk and these disks overall were fantastic as well, including Troopers and Black Hawk Down. The Downside to some of these disks is that they were cropped from their OAR to something around 1:78 to fill the PSP's screen. Some disks are OAR so check accordingly. Horrors upon Horrors I'll admit the cropping does'nt bother me a whole lot because the screen is fairly small on the PSP. However I've converted alot of 2:35 movies on the unit and that's Good too, so I would Like OAR and would not be bothered by it.

I'm not sure what the attraction is on UMD's but i get a kick from watching movies on the unit, maybe it's the startling quality it's like having a little Plasma TV in your Jacket. In fact I watched my DVD of Constantine on it over my 96" Screen. Call me Crazy. I also discovered that DDD and Amazon have good prices and have ordered Labrynth, Dark Crystal, Assault on Precinct 13, Van Helsing, Dawn of the Dead and Steamboy.

What I'd love to see is a combo Portable DVD and UMD Player with a 10" screen.
  2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Sep 6, 1998
    Do a search for UMD in this forum and you'll find a number of titles have already been reviewed for your reference. [​IMG]