What's new

Jumpimg into full blown home theater,need help/suggestions (1 Viewer)

Dave.K

Auditioning
Hey guys and gals,I am a newbie to the forum,so go easy,please:) I have had RPTV's for about the past 13/14 years and have decided to go full blown into a theater with projector/fixed screen etc.I have adequate electronics,Onkyo/Paradigm Studio for now.

My question(s) are:

1)I am thinking of using an Infocus SP7200 Projector.I have also considered the new Panny 900 or a BenQ PE7700.Any thoughts???I prefer to go DLP unless someone can sway me towards LCD.

2)I am going to use a fixed screen 16:9.Considering a Stewart.Any others that may be as good,cheaper? What gain would be best?My room is 12'wide by 23" long and I have total control of the lighting.

Sorry for the long post.I just want to try and do this right the first time and could use any input necessary.

Dave

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Have you viewed DLP for prolonged periods of time, either a rear or front projector, either at a friend's house or at a store? You would want to be sure you don't get headaches from the red, green, and blue content flashed on the screen alternately, which some people notice quite readily as "the rainbow effects".

You will pay more for DLP with the same resolution as LCD.

Currently if I had to choose between 720p/768p LCD and 480p/540p DLP I would choose the LCD.

Also currently I would not buy 1080p displays taht did not accept 1080p input.

Just my opinion.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I went with a 100+ inch DIY screen for my Panny 900. Took a few hours with basic tools and some black-out cloth. I'm sticking with the natural white color of the BOC now. Later I'm going to try painting it with one of the gray mixes discussed over at AVS in the DIY screen section. If it doesn't work out, I'm out $10 in cloth and 30 minutes to replace it.

-Robert

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
1. I am a DLP fan ... as long as it has a fast colour wheel >5x) I have owned both, and I much prefer the image out of the DLP. I believe all 3 projectors your mentioned are 1280x720 resolution so resolution should not play a factor.

Al 3 units mentioned are very good for the money and you can't go wrong ... my preference would be the PE7700.

2. For the screen, I would recommend you take a look at the carada screens. For my projector, I demoed a few samples from Carada, Stewart and Draper. I ended up with the 96 Inch Diagonal Criterion 16:9 screen. Very nice screen. I am matching the screen with the BENQ 8700+ which I am very pleased with as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks