What's new

Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to this one today and liked it. I think it's as good as the 2017 film - nothing groundbreaking but exciting and fun. Good way to spend 2 hours!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, one character thread felt like it got cut off.

When in Shelly's body, Fridge sprains his ankle and complains about the pain. However, when
Martha takes over Shelly's body, she tells Fridge he overreacted and it didn't hurt that much.

I thought this was leading somewhere about Fridge himself and his own body - like he's breaking down from so much football.

The movie didn't play the scene for laughs - like Fridge is a baby about pain and Martha's tougher. It really felt like this was gonna go somewhere later in the film but it didn't.

Anyone else notice this and have thoughts? Abandoned character point that still has vestiges in the final film?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
BTW, one character thread felt like it got cut off.

When in Shelly's body, Fridge sprains his ankle and complains about the pain. However, when
Martha takes over Shelly's body, she tells Fridge he overreacted and it didn't hurt that much.

I thought this was leading somewhere about Fridge himself and his own body - like he's breaking down from so much football.

The movie didn't play the scene for laughs - like Fridge is a baby about pain and Martha's tougher. It really felt like this was gonna go somewhere later in the film but it didn't.

Anyone else notice this and have thoughts? Abandoned character point that still has vestiges in the final film?

I never got the feeling that they were going to make any statement about his body failing physically. It just came across to me as a couple of quips that were designed to make her look like she was made of tougher stuff than an athletic jock who supposedly has been engaging in hard physical training to build up his body. The statements she made were just delivered too matter of factly so any humour that could be derived from them falls flat.

I found the film to be on par with their earlier turn as these characters. I got a few laughs out of the film, so it did its job in that respect. The real standout was the actor channeling Glover's "Milo" character. The film would have been far less funny and not nearly as good without his effort.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I never got the feeling that they were going to make any statement about his body failing physically. It just came across to me as a couple of quips that were designed to make her look like she was made of tougher stuff than an athletic jock who supposedly has been engaging in hard physical training to build up his body. The statements she made were just delivered too matter of factly so any humour that could be derived from them falls flat.

You're probably right! And it doesn't really make sense that Fridge would feel pain due to a real-life injury while in Shelly's body.

Obviously the scene struck me as odd! :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I thought the first film had excellent 3D. Due to circumstances only got to see the second one flat. I didn’t think it was as good but I wondered if this was because if no 3D. I’d like to test this out with a 3D Blu, but it will not be available in that format.
<_<

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought the first film had excellent 3D. Due to circumstances only got to see the second one flat. I didn’t think it was as good but I wondered if this was because if no 3D. I’d like to test this out with a 3D Blu, but it will not be available in that format.
<_<
Surely it will be available overseas?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Perhaps somewhere in Asia, but none of the European sources seem to have it listed.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Was it ever released in 3D? I know this played only in 2D in my local theater and that theater normally plays both versions if available.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It certainly was not available in 3D anywhere near Toronto. The 3D in the first one was excellent in both theatrical and Blu ray, and I was very disappointed when I attended it locally. That is why I believe it fell flat for me — so to speak!

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I love the original Jumanji, and welcome to the jungle didnt work for me at all.

So, perhaps due to low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Next Level. I laughed quite a bit and the action was fun. And I liked how the ending was a perfect set up for the series to come full circle if another one gets made.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Costco here is selling a Blu ray set with both “Welcome To the Jungle” and “The Next Level” in it. I already have the 3D set for the first one, but the price for this double set is exactly the same as the second movie only, on Amazon. I am going to buy the double set and figure I can frisbee the duplicate copy later.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
An Australian website is offering this movie on 3D Blu ray. Has there been any news of it being available in North America?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks