What's new

Julie Andrews in triple bill on TCM. Any in HD? (1 Viewer)

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
TCM on Friday nights is currently showing roadshow musicals from the late sixties and early seventies, hosted by Michael Feinstein. Next Friday night is a Julie Andrews triple bill - Darling Lili, Star! and Thoroughly Modern Milie. Not sure about Darling Lili, but I certainly don't remember them showing the last two before. It will be interesting to watch (or record as they run late into the night) to see if any of them are newer HD masters. I am particularly curious to see what state Star! is in. Does a good HD master exist? I also have some hope for Thoroughly Modern Millie as last week the showing of Sweet Charity from Universal was excellent - looked incredibly good. It's a crap shoot as to what we will get, but some of you might want to check it out to see what is what.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The studio schedules would not have allowed Julie to star in all three. Julie kept hoping for a chance to do My Fair Lady but it never came. If Jack L. Warner had known the way it was going to turn out, he probably would have scheduled around her.

Audrey Hepburn is essentially perfect in the role dramatically and has Marnie Nixon, the best in the business, to provide the vocals.

I am happy with the result and Julie has said that she is as well.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
"Star!" aired on HD Net Movies years ago; I don't recall anything problematic with the sound or picture quality (if memory serves, the overture was included).

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
That's why I'm hoping they are good HD masters. That means less work has to be done to them and that might improve the chances of them being released. We live in hope! Going to have to make sure I have a lot of room on my PVR just in case!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I still have the laserdisc of Star! for the overture. Its still section has a detailed list of what got cut from the short versions.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
MatthewA said:
I still have the laserdisc of Star! for the overture. Its still section has a detailed list of what got cut from the short versions.
The dvd has the overture also Its the curtain with show titles on it as the music played.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
I'm curious to know if some of you watched this Julie Andrews special movie showings on TCM? I Wonder if they showed a high definition Thoroughly Modern Millie?

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Nope.... not only was it not HD but it was letterboxed within a 1.33 frame.... so a small low def image in the middle of a blank frame. Thoroughly modern indeed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Jim*Tod said:
Nope.... not only was it not HD but it was lettered within a 1.33 frame.... so a small low def image in the middle of a blank frame. Thoroughly modern indeed.

They did the same thing tonight with Man of La Mancha. And the same thing happened tonight as happened with Millie: About 39 minutes into the film, someone flipped a switch and the image expanded out of that small frame. Still didn't quite fill the screen but was what we normally get with regular widescreen films on TCM that aren't in true HD.

Someone is asleep at the switch at TCM!

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Well, it was a slug, but I finally made it through MAN OF LA MANCHA. What were they thinking? I'm not sure such a theatrical conceit would ever make a great film, but this was sad, sad, sad. It is pretty rare for me to find a musical where there isn't something worthwhile - the singing, a performance, the orchestrations, the way a particular number is staged, the sets, costumes, cinematography. This pretty much failed on all counts. Its claim to fame will now be as the last reserved seat musical movie. Talk about dying with a whimper! (And yes, the sudden expansion of the picture again was a little weird. What is happening at TCM?)

Of the four weeks on TCM, the only new HD master was SWEET CHARITY, which looked great. The rest, meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks