Julia Roberts, as a sex symbol, is overrated IMO.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Alright, i'll admit that a few years ago, Julia Roberts was incredibly gorgeous. Back when she did films like 'Mystic Pizza' and 'Pretty Woman' she was so young and attractive it wasn't even funny, especially in 'Mystic Pizza'![​IMG] And she NEVER looked so attractive as when she did 'I Love Trouble'.
    But now, she's getting all of this attention for looking so good, when I find her only average now, did you see her in 'The Mexican'[​IMG]? She continues to be at the top of every "Sexiest person list" that springs up when it's not warrented anymore IMO.
    I just think she lost that certain something that made her so appealing then.
    OTOH, she can act pretty decent though, I loved her in 'Erin Brockovich'.

2. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Shes hugely overrated actress and I dont think shes all that hot or anything too.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I consider Julia Roberts popular, but not terribly sexy. Even she acknowledges that people don't come to her movies to see her nekkid.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ok, I'll bite the bait and jump in here and defend Julia.

Looks:

Obviously, this is very subjective. I haven't seen anything she's been in since Erin Brokovich, so I can't comment on The Mexican or Ocean's 11. But I have seen her in pictures and such.

She looks no different than she used to, except for possibly a little aging. People have told me they think she got some surgery on her lips, which I would be surprised by, since her smile was one of the best I've ever seen, and I don't think it's true. I certainly hope not.

She didn't get any uglier. Maybe your tastes changed, not Julia.

Acting:

In the few movies I've seen her in, she always manages to make me fall in love with her, so to speak. She's cute, vulnerable, sexy, smart, and tough, and can combine them in any way she needs to. A would normally gag at the very thought of watching lame-ass romantic comedies like Mystic Pizza and Pretty Woman, but she made them tolerable.

Unfortunately, she ends up in a lot of crummy movies. The last thing I saw her in that I liked was Conspiracy Theory. I haven't seen Ocean's 11, but I'm guessing there isn't a lot of room for her to flex her acting chops, given the movie probably focuses on Clooney, Pitt and the boys.

5. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I know I'm a female, but we know who looks pretty and who doesn't. And Julia is "pretty" I won't say she isn't but I wouldn't say she's hot. As my father likes to describe her.... "she looks like a horse." My husband has never fancied her either. So I guess it's one of those to each his own kind of things.

She does have that long face thing going, and the huge big teeth.

I dunno, give me a beer.

6. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I've never found Julia Roberts to be attractive and I only find her to be marginally talented as an actress. She rarely takes roles other than those in romantic comedies - the formulaic ones that I can't stand. [​IMG]

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I thought her body was awesome in Pretty Woman, especially in the opening scene (assuming it wasn't a body double, which may have been the case). I never cared for her truly humungous mouth, though.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I believe she did use a body double in Pretty Woman.

I think it's refreshing to find one actress who doesn't pose nude and show off her body all the time. Not that I'm against that, mind you, it's just nice to have one that's a little different.

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

She's pretty unattractive as far as I'm concerned. Too scrawny and horse-faced, with that weird mouth. Yuck.

10. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

You are 100% right sir. I never thought she was very hot, even years ago. Yes very overrated for looks, and acting IMHO.

11. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

13. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

14. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Yes, that smile of hers is a major turnoff for me! I meant to include that in my opening post but forgot. She's o.k. when she doesn't smile, but once she reveals her pearly whites, YEEEESSHH!

15. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

well, i guess some of us like her [​IMG]
    seriously, there is just something about her that is very attractive to me. can't explain it, she doesn't have the best body or the typical look, perhaps that is part of it. beauty is hard to decipher, and is definitely in the eye of the beholder. count me as someone who thinks she is extremely attractive and possessing a certain quality i don't see in many women...

16. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    There's no shame in that, Paul.
    Just one more thing I forgot to add is that she bears to close a resemblance to her brother Eric, i.e. she looks just like Eric with long hair and no facial hair.
    [​IMG]

17. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

platypus lips

18. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

This is a subjective discussion, and so is ultimately pointless! [​IMG]
    That said, my subjective take on it is Julia has been and still is a very attractive woman, who also happens to be a talented actress. I wouldn't call Julia one of the greatest actresses in the history of film, but I would say she's one of the more talented actresses working today, and I always look forward to her being in films I'll like. The most attractive thing about Julia, IMO, isn't really the way she looks. There are lots of actresses, and more women, who are sexy or beautiful or stunning (or whatever) when viewed (clothed or not, some are better with or without clothes as far as sexiness or attractiveness goes, IMO). Julia, however, is beautiful to me in how she is, how she moves and how she looks alive. She's always had a very beautiful image and aura she works together. Her smile, for example, can literally light a room up, and when she does it her 'beauty' rating goes up dramatically. I like her.

19. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

David, that's a good way to describe it. Thanks.

I remember seeing her on Letterman. Usually, I turn it off when actresses are on, as they usually get so self-inbvolved and annoying. Julia was soft-spoken and composed, but very sharp. Letterman was being a smart-ass while hitting her, and Julia was just amazing. She handled him better than anyone- a zingy one-liner, a bright smile, and looking fantastic the whole time.

Now that is sexy.

Eve, I wouldn't think anything less of Julia is she posed nude. Heck, I'd be the first one to get me them pictures. I was just pointing out the difference.

Quite frankly, I get kind of annoyed by all the teeny-looking, Aryan skinny-bags they throw at us in movies nowadays. They look like little girls, not women. Julia is a real woman. Too bad she gets crummy roles.