Julia: any news or rumours of a DVD release?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bruce Morrison, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

I'm surprised that Fox haven't yet got around to releasing Julia (Jane Fonda, Vanessa Regrave and Jason Robards) on DVD. It could possibly be one of their titles that they've licensed to Criterion. Either way, a DVD release is long overdue for this excellent film. Has anyone heard any news (or rumours) about it being planned for this year?

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'd like to see this movie too.
    now that Fox has both Criterion and Anchor Bay to get out their product, along with what titles they do themselves, i hope things will start moving along at a nice clip.
    it would be fine with me if either AB or Criterion put this one out, as i think both companies would give it a little better context than Fox alone.
    although, it seems like this is tailor made for Criterion.
    Lillian Hellman was a pretty fascinating individual (as was Dash Hammett and the period the film depicts) and any disc would cry out for some further bio information on her/them.

3. Sean A

Sean A Stunt Coordinator

It's interesting that a film that "Julia" is often linked with, "The Turning Point", was just released by Anchor bay. Maybe they'll get "Julia" as well. Both films came out the same year (1977), from the same studio (20th Cent Fox), with 2 female leads in each, and were nominated for numerous Oscars that year, inclusing Best Picture, Actress, and Director

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Sean, i was thinking the same thing.
    for the longest time i always got these two films mixed up, but never really understood why.
    it probably came down to the Academy Awards in 78, when i was pulling for Star Wars to trounce everything, but was worried that one of these, obivously adult (and therefore, sophisticated, i thought) dramas would put it in its place.

i just saw Turning Point a few days ago for the first time, and actually enjoyed it quite a bit.
    quite cheesy at times, but watchably so.
    Julia i haven't seen in a while, but i'm all but certain it holds up a lot better as compelling drama.

it would be great to see, no matter how we get it.

another film i used to get confused with Julia was Agatha- and a film i used to confuse with Agatha was Fedora.

i would love to see all of these.
    i wouldn't sneeze at An Unmarried Woman either.

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I have the laser disc of this film but it is full frame so I'd love to see a DVD release. I just watched it again recently and it really holds up, the performances are all excellent.

6. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone verify the soundtrack of THE TURNING POINT? When I looked at the box last week, it said it was mono. The film did have some mag stereo prints made.

7. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    The DVD is basically in mono, but all of the Ballet dance sequences are in full stereo sounds and sounds great.