What's new

Judas Priest Reunites (1 Viewer)

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Halford will always be Judas Priest and Judas Priest will always be Halford. That being said, I quite enjoyed Juglator as well as both of Halfords solo peices. (Crucible is heavy as hell!) Ripper is doing fine and has been out of the band for months. He has been recording with Iced Earth which is set to release their new CD soon. I feel sorry for Ripper though. First he has to replace legend Rob Halford, now Matt Barlow! Yikes!

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Yep, the Gettysburg trilogy at the end of Iced Earth's new one is better than most entire metal albums.:emoji_thumbsup:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Iced Earth is a very good band, I'm glad Ripper got a new gig so fast. I liked his last album with Priest quite a bit, not at first but it really grew on me.

As for Priest with halford, IMO their best album is "Defenders of the faith", where they sort of really got started on the speed metal path, only to drop it again for "Turbo" and pick ut ip big time with "Ram it down" and "Painkiller". I hope their material will lean towards the style on "Defenders of the faith", heaviness, melody and speed in a good combination.

/Mike

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
To be more specific, looks like a normal CD release, a DualDisc (one disc with a "CD" side and a DVD side), and then one release with a separate CD and DVD. It's the latter that I'll be after. ;)

Any news if it's more like hard rock '77-82 Priest, or the later speed metal kind of stuff?

Mike<R

Agent
I looked at the dual version today at a store that had it out early and it was not a cd/dvd it was a dvd/audiomusicdisc. Now I pre-ordered the two disk one and hope it is a real cd not a fake anti-piracy one as I have never had a fake cd before, most of my resent Cd's are imports. So how does the anti-piracy ones work with cd players?

Max F

Second Unit
Sort of OT, but does anyone have the Judas Priest box set?

I was thinking about getting it since my old collection is in tapes from my junior high days. I picked up Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind on CD (remastered) which is great and have been really enjoy re-living these sweet albums from my past. I like that they are re-mastering this stuff too. :emoji_thumbsup:

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Metalogy box set a few months ago. If you're familiar with the material then you probably want the 4-disk box set (which also has concert footage from '85), because some of the well known stuff (Breaking the law, electric eye, green manilishi) are live recordings. If you're not familiar with Priest yet, you'll probably just want the condensed Living After Midnight best-of collection.

AricB

Second Unit
The dual disc, does not appear to be in surround sound, just an FYI.... i was going to pick this up too.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I was just at Best Buy and picked up the DualDisc version after looking at that alongside the CD/DVD set for about 10 minutes. I'm not sure but I think the CD/DVD and the DualDisc versions have the same material on them with the exception of an "Enhanced Stereo" mix of the album on the DVD side of the DualDisc. The DualDisc was $11.99 while the CD/DVD version was $19.99 so I went DualDisc. I hope I made the right choice.

(FYI - the CD side is playing just fine in my PC at work as I type this)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Somebody told me this was the same DVD issued with the Metalogy boxset. Guess I'll have to download this album off iTunes to avoid double-dipping the DVD.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
The DVD that came with the Metalogy box set is Priest performing live in Memphis in 1982 (a pretty good DVD I must say). I just flipped my DualDisc version of Angel of Retribution over and it appears to be some sort of documentary that features live performances.

The label lists the DVD side as having an "Exclusive documentary featuring interview footage & 7 live tracks from the Reunited Tour 2004" along with the "Entire album in enhanced stereo."

Max F

Second Unit
I bought the Metalogy box set a few months ago. If you're familiar with the material then you probably want the 4-disk box set (which also has concert footage from '85), because some of the well known stuff (Breaking the law, electric eye, green manilishi) are live recordings. If you're not familiar with Priest yet, you'll probably just want the condensed Living After Midnight best-of collection.
For some reason i thought there was a box set with all of their albums. Oh well, i'll just pick up Defenders of the Faith and be happy.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Buzz- Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't too keen on their later stuff either. Sounds like this is one to try though. Thanks!

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
My thoughts on the new album, track by track as it appears on the album:

Judas Rising - great song. Awesome layers (vocals and guitars).

Deal With the Devil - listen to Bloodsuckers at 1:23 from the Demolition album and listen to this song. Same beat. :D Good song, still. Sounds like an extra from Demolition.

Revolution - the anthem rock song of the album.

Worth Fighting For - good song, too slow for my liking (I'm partial to Painkiller and Ram it Down vs the early early stuff).

Demonizer - jugulator vibe to it. Crucible like vocal beat. Different.

Wheels of Fire - ahhh....feel the heavy rhythm.

Angel - what? another ballad. Would be a much better song if they took the guitars from 3:20 and stuck them througout the entire chorus sections. Very acoustic. Think Diamonds and Rust, just not near as good.

Hellrider - THE BEST INTRO...AWESOME....great Priest song.

Eulogy - um. weird. My impression is that it's supposed to be like battle Hymn from Painkiller with words. Serves as the intro to...

Lochness - I dunno'. A song about the Lochness monster? definite cheese. Clocks in at 13:29. Maybe it'll grow on me? Slower harder pace.

Overall - Judas Rising, Deal With the Devil, Hellrider, Revolution all great songs. The rest will grow on me. Good solid album. Slows down a bit too much for my liking. There is an actual piano on this album too. It's in that weird Eulogy song.

As a side, the lyrics are very "nostalgic". Deal With the Devil refers to two tracks from Ram it Down, Hellrider also refers to Ram it Down (literally), Angel to the earliest album; cheesy, but sort of neat. And typical Priest, we have the local boogie man - Demonizer, possibley Hellrider too.

...and of course the Lochness monster:b (I'm sure it's supposed to be symbolic, but really, come on...)

7:star:'s /10:star: 's

Edit: I only picked up the regular CD. Worth the purchase price!

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the rundown of all the new songs Jason. I would have to agree with you on almost everything you said. I've listened to the album all the way through 3 times today and I think it's great. It's been a long wait and I'm thrilled to have another Rob Halford led Priest album:D

I've found myself singing "Here comes the revolution, Time for retribution all evening. Another great Priest song.

I bought both the CD/DVD and the DualDisc. I just got done listening to a couple songs on the "enhanced stereo" side of the DD. My DVD-A player shows it as 48k16b, not very enhanced. I don't believe I heard any difference from the regular CD, but I will try to listen more critically soon. I would love to hear anyone else with an opinion on any sound quality differences between the two.

Angel Of Retribution :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think you'd find that it's practically impossible to hear the difference between 16/44.1 and 16/48. All you're getting is a high freq response difference from 22k to 24k. Most people can't hear that well above 18k-20k anyway. :) *And*, that is only if the mix actually took advantage of 16/48. It is quite possible that no matter what the label says, that they are using the same master for both the std CD and the "CD" side of the DualDisc.

I *wish* they had done 24/96 like the old Digital Audio Disc format. (Copyright free 24/96 on a DVD-V.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks