Juan Montya and Jeff Gordon to swap

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremySt, Aug 1, 2002.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Well, At least for a day...
    From www.f1-live.com
    "Montoya to try his hand at NASCAR?
    Prior to the Hungarian GP [01/08/02 - 02:47]
    Juan Pablo Montoya has achieved success at almost everything he has ever tried his hand at, winning the F3000 series in 1998 before moving on to the ChampCar series in the US to take the title there as well, in his rookie season. Now in Formula One, the Colombian secured his maiden victory in his debut year, a rare feat in itself given today's level of competition.
    One other accomplishment this twenty-six year old driver has to his credit, is winning the famous Indy 500 and according to the latest reports, during the three week break prior to the next round on the Formula One calendar in Hungary, Juan Pablo is planning on revisiting the venue.
    The BMW Williams driver is expected to try his hand at the American racing series, NASCAR, when he takes to the wheel of Jeff Gordon's number 24 Dupont on the 12th of August. Meanwhile, Gordon, the youngest ever in the modern era of NASCAR history to win the Winston Cup back in 1995, will take to the BMW Williams F1.
    Partly sponsored by BMW, Juan Pablo will return to the scene of the Brickyard's oval layout, where he won the Indy 500 back in the year 2000, while Gordon will lap the infield created for the Formula One series. "
    I wonder if it will be on tv?

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I don't fully understand this story.
    Surely this will not be during the races (Brickyard and USGP). They list August the 12 which is a week too late for the Brickyard and yet only one day after Gordon has to run his car at Watkins Glen.
    If it's not during the races, then why doen't they just run the cars a day or two after the Brickyard. But then I have to question BMW dragging JPMs car over to the US just for Gordon to run it for a demo, which then makes me think that Godron wouldn't be running the BMW till around the Sept race when they are already here.
    It seems like an odd amount of work just for a little demo that would seem MUCH better suited for the weekend of the race when they would have lots of fans in town to see it.
    But if they are going to be out there AUG 12 then I won't need a TV, I'll be out there to watch it live. [​IMG]

3. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I find this story hard to believe also, but it is possible. Although I'm sure Williams would not send one of their race cars anywhere 2 or 3 days before they would need to be at the track for the next GP, they could send one of the test cars and crew out for a PR stunt like this.

I have heard that it take 3 days to convert the Indianapolis track from the oval to the road course configuration. The Aug 12th date makes some sense if they begin the conversion in preparation for the USGP after the NASCAR race is over, and leave it in a state whenre both configurations are available for a few PR laps, before completeing the changeover afterwards.

IF it happens it will be an eye-opener for Gordon, going from a low downforce car with 0.2 hp/lb to a high downforce car with 0.65 hp/lb is a huge jump. With three times the relative power and much much higher cornering and braking limits we'd see just how good he really is.

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter