JR purchase review

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by gab_, Jan 31, 2005.

1. gab_

gab_ Stunt Coordinator

Well, after a few months of trying to find the right receiver for my needs, I decided to go with the onkyo 601. It was an ok price at 299, so I went for it. Anywho, it comes in today from JR, and I open the original box. Well, the factory seal was replaced by a different layer of packing tape. No big deal. I open that, and see that the batteries to the remote are not sealed together. Again, no big deal. Then I see a couple of big deals. The drawer to one of the fiber optic connections is broken off, and the laser is covered with a metal sliver. Then, the case is semi-bent where someone had opened the unit. So, I call JR, and they tell me that since it has an “inventory control” sticker, it should not have been shipped. Their refurb price is 199 on these units. I decide that instead of go with the hassle, I would go ahead and take the unit at that price, even though it would be at least missing one fiber optic connection, and maybe more. No dice. The manager wants to haggle, and refuses to go any lower than 250. What bs. I will never shop there again. It’s a shame, because their prices are so good, and they have such a good reputation around here. Sorry for the rant; I am just frustrated.

2. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

gab_, sorry to hear about your misfortune. It's surprising to me too, cause I've shopped with them with excellent results before and their product and service has always been top notch. Maybe you should call back and speak to somebody else, hopefully it's just a single rotten apple and not the whole tree.

3. John S

John S Producer

No just return it for full refund?? If so, I wouldn't shop there anymore either, to tell you the truth.

I have never run into a 10 day of the reciept of any product for full refund problem. Most even 30 days.

best of luck with your product.

4. gab_

gab_ Stunt Coordinator

so, how does the return shipping work? I prepay, with insurance, and then fax the receipt to them? then what, thay cut me a check? I've never had to do this, so I am a little unsure on what to do.

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Call 1-800-426-6027 and ask for an RMA (Return Material Authorization) number. Explain everything, so that they realize they shipped you the wrong thing. Since the problem was their fault (they shipped the wrong item), IMO they should issue an RMA number and send you a shipping label, so that you don't have to pay anything out of pocket. As an absolute minimum, they should reimburse you the return shipping costs.

6. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I did a return with JandR and they simply sent me another receiver free of charge and I sent back the return at my cost.

Call them first and get a return authorization number and tell them you want another shipped out.