JPEG Viewers on DVD Players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by krury, Aug 29, 2003.

1. krury

krury Auditioning

I have begun to look for a new DVD player and noticed that lot of them now mention JPEG Viewer, but not a lot of details. At first I though great, I have about 5,000 JPEG pictures I will burn to CD and be able to slide show them on my TV. The more I looked into the more complex the subject got. I will explain what I have learned and maybe some of you that have used them can share your experience also. I have searched the forum and only found little tidbits, but very little use yet.

The key thing is that the JPEG player expects a certain format and if it is not in that format it won't work. The two most common is DCF (Design rule for Camera File System) and HighMAT. The purpose of the format is to allow pictures to be moved between different brand cameras, printers, memory devices and PC and still work. I haven't seen HighMAT on any Cameras as it is coming from a MS PC focus, but allows you to include PlayLists. Many people complain that the JPEG players play sequentially though you can choose what directory or folder to start from.

DCF
    http://it.jeita.or.jp/document/publi...f_eng/Dcfe.pdf
    DCF2 Draft
    http://tsc.jeita.or.jp/avs/data/cp3461.pdf
    HighMAT
    http://www.highmat.com/

Coming from the PC side, the DCF format is the least friendly to me as it requires me to rename all my photos to generic looking names, add thumbnails and save in a EXIF format. But it is the most compatible if wanting to use with Photo printers or reload in other devices. For me once the photo is downloaded to my PC it never goes back.

I haven't seen enough about HighMAT yet to know how flexible it will be, but I know that Movie Maker2, XP, and Media Player9 can write HighMAT CDs. It is limited to 999 photos per CD. A future version of HighMAT will support DVD, but don't know how many more files it will support at that time. Of course you will need to buy a new DVD player at that time to play them. I have only seen HighMAT on Panasonic players at this point, so that limits you. They do have some very good players though DVD-S55s on up support it. The DVD-S35S only supports DCF.

What I would like to do in this thread is to discuss how to take JPEG photos that we have edited with Photoshop or other software and get them back into something that can be viewed on a DVD Player supporting DCF or HighMAT. I would also like to collect what your experiences have been good or bad or tips and tricks for the best display.

2. krury

krury Auditioning

I wanted to summarize the DCF format next so that you can understand what is required and may help you in troubleshooting problems you are having. You can follow the links n the previous post to read the full details.

DCF
    Directory 8 chars in length
    First 3 chars numbered 100-999
    The next 5 chars upper-case alphanumeric characters.
    The DCF directories go under a root directory, which I don't see described a standard for. The example shows DCIM.
    Files have an extension of JPG and can contain a single thumbnail image 160x120.
    No requirement for data compression, pixel count, aspect ratio.
    The file needs a properly structured tag.

The tag info is often destroyed or damaged when saved by other software. You need a program to recreate that. I also have been saving my JPEG files without thumbnails to make them smaller as Windows can make a thumbnail view on the fly. Though the thumbnail isn't required you probably will just see a blank box in the menu, but can still play slideshow.

The file format:
    The first 4 characters are free, the next 4 are digits, ending with extension .JPG.

The max # of files in a DCF directory is 9999 and a max of 900 directories.

DCF is used with PC Card ATA, SmartMedia, CompactFlash, Memory Stick and SD Card.

Renaming directories and files is the easy part though tedious to make the DCF compatible. What is the easiest way to batch resave edit JPEGs to be in DCF format with appropriate TAGs and thumbnails?

I saw PGLite software mentioned in one post, but that was only for Sony use and I am not sure if that fixed the tags.

I am hoping that less work will be involed to just use the HighMAT format instead.