JP3 P&S in WS box?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Conrad, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

I'm getting quite a few reports of people who have bought the Widescreen JP3 only to find that the DVD is Full Frame.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

2. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Nope...Widescreen in the widescreen box.

I guess I got lucky.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

If you want to find the fullscreen version in a widescreen box, rent it from f*****g Hollywood Video... [​IMG]

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I had the samething happen with The Mummy Returns. Not only that, they put a sticker over the the "Wide" half of the word at the bottom so you can't tell. And then when you check the back, it's says anamorphic widescreen, and it's STILL P&S.

5. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

My widescreen copy had the widescreen DVD in it and not the pan & scam version.

6. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Well the Jurassic Park 3 Widescreen has silver banners on top and bottom where is says Widescreen and the Full Screen has Red Banners on top and bottom. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out which is the right one

capt

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

8. Ken Seeber

Well, I stopped by Hollywood Video on the way home from work to rent a movie. They had several copies of JP3 in stock, all marked Widescreen with the silver banners, so I rented one. I got the disc home only to find it was the pan-and-scan version.

My suspicion is that Hollywood has all pan-and-scan, but Universal supplied them with widescreen inserts for some reason.

I'll be talking to the manager on Thursday. I'll post back here if I find out anything interesting. I'm certainly returning the disc unwatched for a refund.

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I feel for you guys, as well as the guy in the other thread who's JP3 box was empty!

I bought mine from Best Buy for $16.99; not an ounce of trouble. Haven't watched it through yet, but checked the 1.85 logo on the disc AND even started the 1st chapter to ensure it's WS.

Good luck...

10. John Fieldstadt

John Fieldstadt Stunt Coordinator

I was in Coconuts the other day and noticed that both the widescreen and fullscreen versions had the same label across the top edge of the case "JP3 - WIDESCREEN". I have since looked in BB & CC and they were labeled correctly so it must have been a limited number mis-labeled.

I could see someone rushing and seeing the top label grabing the wrong one. This is why I always examine my purchases very carefully.

11. Ken Seeber

Well, I returned my rented fullscreen copy of JPIII to Hollywood Video this afternoon. All of the cases on the rental shelf were widescreen cases, and all of them --- every last one --- had fullscreen discs in them.

The manager balked at giving me a refund, but after arguing for awhile I prevailed. When I had to sign a slip of paper for the refund, I made a point of writing exactly why the disc was retuned under in the "comments" box.

I have no idea why Hollywood would have all these fullscreen discs in widescreen boxes, but I would be curious to know if it's a widespread problem at the chain.

12. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Widescreen in the WS box for me. Just need to make copies of the receipt and get my free movie and box. [​IMG]

13. Patrick Lyons

Patrick Lyons
    I suspect that this is related to the story at digitalbits.com . Basically Blockbuster is only carrying the pan & scan versions of new releases according to reports. If you feel as strongly as I do about widescreen please visit the site above for details.[​IMG]

14. GregDC

GregDC Auditioning

This is really strange. I went to Hollywood last night and all they had on the shelf were P&S boxes of JPIII. When I went to the counter to complain, the clerk looked in the box and the disc was the widescreen version.