What's new

JP3 P&S in WS box? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I'm getting quite a few reports of people who have bought the Widescreen JP3 only to find that the DVD is Full Frame.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
If you want to find the fullscreen version in a widescreen box, rent it from f*****g Hollywood Video... :angry:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I had the samething happen with The Mummy Returns. Not only that, they put a sticker over the the "Wide" half of the word at the bottom so you can't tell. And then when you check the back, it's says anamorphic widescreen, and it's STILL P&S.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Well the Jurassic Park 3 Widescreen has silver banners on top and bottom where is says Widescreen and the Full Screen has Red Banners on top and bottom. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out which is the right one

capt

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Well the Jurassic Park 3 Widescreen has silver banners on top and bottom where is says Widescreen and the Full Screen has Red Banners on top and bottom. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out which is the right one
It is if the manufacterer put the wrong disc in the box, which is what I think Jeremy was asking.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Well, I stopped by Hollywood Video on the way home from work to rent a movie. They had several copies of JP3 in stock, all marked Widescreen with the silver banners, so I rented one. I got the disc home only to find it was the pan-and-scan version.

My suspicion is that Hollywood has all pan-and-scan, but Universal supplied them with widescreen inserts for some reason.

I'll be talking to the manager on Thursday. I'll post back here if I find out anything interesting. I'm certainly returning the disc unwatched for a refund.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I feel for you guys, as well as the guy in the other thread who's JP3 box was empty!

I bought mine from Best Buy for $16.99; not an ounce of trouble. Haven't watched it through yet, but checked the 1.85 logo on the disc AND even started the 1st chapter to ensure it's WS.

Good luck...

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
I was in Coconuts the other day and noticed that both the widescreen and fullscreen versions had the same label across the top edge of the case "JP3 - WIDESCREEN". I have since looked in BB & CC and they were labeled correctly so it must have been a limited number mis-labeled.

I could see someone rushing and seeing the top label grabing the wrong one. This is why I always examine my purchases very carefully.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Well, I returned my rented fullscreen copy of JPIII to Hollywood Video this afternoon. All of the cases on the rental shelf were widescreen cases, and all of them --- every last one --- had fullscreen discs in them.

The manager balked at giving me a refund, but after arguing for awhile I prevailed. When I had to sign a slip of paper for the refund, I made a point of writing exactly why the disc was retuned under in the "comments" box.

I have no idea why Hollywood would have all these fullscreen discs in widescreen boxes, but I would be curious to know if it's a widespread problem at the chain.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Widescreen in the WS box for me. Just need to make copies of the receipt and get my free movie and box. :D

Real Name
Patrick Lyons
I suspect that this is related to the story at digitalbits.com . Basically Blockbuster is only carrying the pan & scan versions of new releases according to reports. If you feel as strongly as I do about widescreen please visit the site above for details.:angry:

GregDC

Auditioning
This is really strange. I went to Hollywood last night and all they had on the shelf were P&S boxes of JPIII. When I went to the counter to complain, the clerk looked in the box and the disc was the widescreen version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks