Joy Ride DVD review

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sean Moon, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Tense. That is the best word to describe this film. Tense.

Greatly enjoyable film all the way through and a stellar DVD for a moderate box office performer.

The disc is from Fox, so you know its gonna be good. Great picture quality all the way and a very very good 5.1 track. Very showy at times and subtle the rest of the time.

The special features are top notch too. There are FOUR, count em, FOUR alternate endings. One is as short as 5 minutes, while one of the endings is a whole 30 minutes! The entire last third of the film is different with it.

There are also 3 feature length commentaries, although I havent had a chance to listen to them yet.

If you want a very intense and enjoyable film to get, dont pass this overlooked gem up. But I do have one major beef with the film...that towards the end you see what Rusty Nail looks like, granted it is in shadows, but it shows too much. The film was much much scarier when you never saw him, you only had his voice on the CB. And damn was it a scary voice.

And another cool feature is you can watch a selected scene with three different options for the voice of Rusty Nail. Eric Roberts is one of them, but he lacked the calm creepiness that Ted Levine had as the voice in the film.

Pick this one up!

2. Sean Moon

OK...just watched about twenty minutes of the Leelee Sobieski commentary. Supposedly Steve Zahn is supposed to be there too but never heard him for twenty minutes.

Leelee is annoying. Her voice is not very fun to listen to for a commentary and while she is always in focus on what is relevant to the screen, she is an annoying chatterbox on this commentary. One point she apologized for it by saying she was hyper and is sorry for anyone listening to her commentary. I agree with her.

Hopefully the filmakers commentaries will be better.

3. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

I thought human cloning was illegal? If it is, then how does one explain Leelee Sobieski?

This is a joke for anyone who doesn't get it, as she is totally a clone of Helen Hunt

But yea, the Joy Ride DVD is a good one. Lots of extras. The alternate "ending" is really interesting

4. Sean Moon

Personally, I really didnt like the alternate endings. They seemed a little too Hollywood. The first with them going after Rusty Nail and blowing the truck up with the ...whatever it was in the corn field. Then the ending where Leelee escapes and kills Rusty was LAME. The final storyboarded ending was predictable, where the shotgun kills Rusty instead of Leelee/Venna. I personally was wanting one of the endings to be them opening the door and Leelee getting pasted to the wall, and Rusty still getting away. Call me sick, but I love a sick twisted ending. Just go watch Arlington Road

EIther way, the ending they chose was the best choice in my opinion.

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Gee thanks guys... you just cost me $20.

I was sitting on the fence about this one, as I saw it theatrically, but now I'm gonna have to pick it up.

7. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    I saw it yeasterday, great movie.

I strongly recomend it..

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Good movie (IMO).
    Makes me all the more anxious for its look-alike, Duel (1971), on August 12th. [​IMG]
    A quibble with the Joy Ride alternate-ending extras though ..... What on EARTH did the DVD makers do to ALL of these endings to give them that horrid "This is what these scenes would've looked like in 50 years had this been on VHS" look??!! [​IMG]
    The extras looked simply hideous! Looks like the film was literally dragged through the mud using the semi-truck from the movie!!
    Why?
    How could portions of a nearly-new film look THAT bad, on any format?!
    Every 20-year-old VHS I have looks better than these scenes.
    Surely others with this otherwise excellent DVD have noticed this awful PQ on these deleted endings as well. ???
    The movie PQ itself is first-rate (IMO). Excellent clarity. I especially love wide-open outdoor scenes on anamorphic DVDs. Don't you? Looks so good you can almost touch the grass/mountains/cars/dinos/tarantulas/wildebeests/...or what-have-you! [​IMG]

9. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

A bit of trivia for you.

Due to this film tanking at the boxoffice, it was renamed "Road Kill" in Europe. Personally, I think that "Road Kill" is a terrible "B-Movie sounding" name, and guess what... the film tanked in Europe as well.

"Joy Ride" is a great movie and the DVD is exceptional I thought.

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

11. Mark_Paul

Mark_Paul Agent

This movie (and DVD) was surprisingly good. I thought it was going to be a gormless teen thriller, but was proved wrong. The transfer is outstanding, with some of the best night scenes I've seen for a while. IMO, I think Road Kill is the better title.

12. Martin Jeeves

Sorry to disagree on the title.

The deleted scenes and alternate ending picture quality is very poor, you're right. I have no idea why this is. Fox are normally quite good at giving us good quality cut footage. The special edition of the Diane Lane erotic thriller "Unfaithful" has 12 deleted scenes and alternate ending and the quality is fantastic (anamorphic, DD5.1, etc). The quality was as good as the feature itself.

On "JoyRide" the picture quality of the films itself, the featurette and the trailer are excellent... so I am a bit mystified as to why the alternate endings and deleted scenes look so rough (especially when you see "Unfaithful" and other Fox titles).

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

14. Martin Jeeves

I think you'll find that "Joy Ride" was filmed quite a while ago (possibly 1999 or 2000), but ran into both production and distribution problems (hence the many endings). I believe that Regency then waited for "Fast And The Furious" (Paul Walker) and "The Glass House" (Leelee Sobieski) to come out at theaters in order to capitalize on the young casts popularity. The condition of the endings might have something to do with how they were stored throughout the films troubled time getting to the screen.

Hard to believe that this film was so troubled... especially when you look at the quality of the finished movie. It should have been given more of a chance by Fox.

15. Sean Moon

the deleted scenes probably look so rough as they are still probably from the AVID and didnt undergo the same telecine process that the movie did.

16. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I absolutely hate the option to watch the film with the 30 minute alternate ending, because it's non-anamorphic (the ending) so in order to watch it, you either watch the WHOLE movie in non-anamorphic, OR you could get up and change the TV so that it displays the ending properly (in the middle of the movie). [​IMG]
    If they truly wanted us to have the option of watching the movie with that alternate ending, they should have at least cleaned it up and made it anamorphic [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Martin Jeeves

Yet strangely Fox did the opposite for "UNFAITHFUL"... They cleaned up the deleted scenes and alternate ending so that they looked prestine. The made them anamorphic with DD5.1 sound and then... presented them so that they couldn't be watched within the movie (a la seamless branching).
    I find it a shame that Eric Roberts can't even get a voice over job. At least he would have been in a movie that got a theatrical release. [​IMG]