What's new

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
To get back to my point:

Film adapations of novels and short stories should use the source material as an inspirational starting point. Otherwise, what's the use of simply making a visual replication of another artist's work? The director, therefore, should use the source material to transform it into his or her own vision of a story.

That's what Stanley Kubrick did. (Ah, that's right. You can't stand his work.)

Harper Lee's fine novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, is a touching and bittersweet story, but doesn't really rank as a "great literature." Yet in making its transition to film, it became great. Mulligan shaped the story into his own vision, and the resulting film is close to being great art.

Same with Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. What began as a nicely written little morality tale of a novella and popular entertainment became a serious work of art under the aegis of Truffaut. The director broadened the novella's emphasis on action into a film that made a much deeper statement about the human willingness to submit to despotic, authoritarian regimes.

And then there's the novel The Verdict. It was such a forgettable piece of potboiler paperback fiction I can't even remember the author's name. But the film took the novel's basic character and plot and elevated the story into another timeless statement about the human urge to rise against all odds in order to stand for what's right.

For a filmmaker to adhere rigidly, scene for scene, to a novelist's work is to shortchange the audience. I'd rather stick with the book then. But when a filmmaker uses the novel as a springboard to advance his or her own ideas and vision, beautiful things can happen.

It's a joy to see a mediocre piece of potboiler, best-seller fiction transformed into something truly meaningful.

Not that Journey to the Center of the Earth is high art, but it's a joyful entertainment in its own right.

In short, I don't much respect blueprint-rigid adapations. Just look at the Psycho "remake." It may be a shot-for-shot redo of the Hitchcock classic, but where's the artistry?

Easy: Ain't none there.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Re: "Hey, at least no one is going to touch From The Earth To The Moon. I think Geo. Meilies got it right the first time"

Well, actually, someone did "touch" it. The 1958 film of Jules Verne's From The Earth To The Moon with Joseph Cotten, George Sanders and Debra Paget, directed by Byron Haskin (War Of The Worlds, Robinson Crusoe On Mars) is in my laser disc collection.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The director, therefore, should use the source material to transform it into his or her own vision of a story.
Jack, that is PRECISELY what I object to. If you wish to be creative, write your own story, DON'T change other people's

I did think of another book-movie I was satisfied with- Silence of the Lambs

Hannibal did have the ending altered, but frankly after the horrificness that was the book.... :)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
hahah, too true. Luckily the concept is so ludicrous to today's audience that no one will touch it
Jeff I think perhaps you have forgotten the "From the Earth to the Moon"(1958)-starring Joseph Cotten. I have this film on LD. A fun film, but with bad special effects.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Jack Briggs said:

Not that Journey to the Center of the Earth is high art, but it's a joyful entertainment in its own right.
I guess that's right, but it features a score by Bernard Herrmann that actually IS high art. Jeff Kleist, don't let $10 stand between you and it!

--Bill

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

You are not getting my point

I will not buy a title that appears to blaspheme one of my favorite books of all time without seeing it first. I will not sacrifice something else to buy something that in the end will probably having me throwing it against the wall afterwards

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I guess what I really wanted to say was that the music in the movie is so good, it makes the DVD worth getting just for the music alone. Jeff, you may discover that even if you're disappointed in the way the script deviates from the book, you'll find that the spirit of Jules Verne - indeed, the very concept of making a journey to the center of the earth - is brought to life by Bernard Herrmann's music.

--Bill

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Bill is certainly correct in his assessment of the value that Herrmann's score brings to the film. The recent CD release of the complete score is fantastic.

It's a very fun movie that quite capably captures the spirit of Verne's novel and I can't wait to get the DVD.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Fer cryin' out loud, buy the disc and sell it off on eBay if you don't like the artistic license taken with the story. There's been an awful lot of energy expended here on what boils down to a simple matter of "I'll either like it or I won't". Life goes on people.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I must say I'm a little surprised at the turn this thread took.

If you are waiting for a movie to be utterly faithful to the book, you are gonna wait a long time. In fact, I can't think of one.

On the other hand, good movies have been made which have freely interpreted the book:

The Wizard of Oz
Gone With The Wind
How Green Was My Valley
East of Eden
Ben-Hur
Tom Jones
Mary Poppins
The Godfather
Ordinary People
The English Patient

and many others.

As I've stated before, Journey to the Center of the Earth is a well-made, very entertaining family adventure film, with an intelligent script and magnificent music. It comes from a story by Jules Verne and it, in turn, influenced movies like Indiana Jones. It may not be great in the sense that Citizen Kane is great, but in its genre, I believe it to be peerless -- among the most memorable of movies from my childhood. I'm 45, so I can understand a younger generation's disavowal of this kind of movie.

The DVD looks and sounds great to me, and it is very affordable. Why not give it a try?

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
why do you all care so much whether or not Jeff buys this DVD? he's well informed and can make his own (completely insane :)) choice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seems to me that Jeff Kleist has made his decision and we should respect that decision by moving on to other topics of discussion.

Crawdaddy

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge fan of the film version of Journey To The Center Of The Earth but I don't understand the mentality of people who insist someone watch a movie they clearly have no interest in because it's "good for them" or "you'll like it". Mr. Kleist has spoken and I sympathize with him.

I don't know how many people are insisting I see LOTR:Two Towers because it's better than the first (what wouldn't be?) when I clearly have no interest in ever visiting Tolkien country ever again.

Jeff, I originally told you if you were a purist to avoid the film at all costs (and save injuries to your head from all that head banging). I stand by my statement.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Well, I'm cool with whatever people want to watch.

The only reason I reiterated my original review of this movie, is because my good review seemed to have been questioned by someone who has never seen the movie, on the basis of its impure reinterpretation of a favorite book.

I've never read the book, so I can't comment whether or not the book is better than the movie. The movie for me is tops, but I can certainly understand someone else not liking it.

I also don't think it's a bad thing trying to coax someone into sharing your views -- as long as you don't do it with criticism or malice. If you have a vision of something, and you'd really like others to see what you're seeing, go for it!

I only posted this review so others would be enticed into buying the movie; I wouldn't think of insisting.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Fer cryin' out loud, buy the disc and sell it off on eBay if you don't like the artistic license taken with the story. There's been an awful lot of energy expended here on what boils down to a simple matter of "I'll either like it or I won't". Life goes on people
Some of us, Mr Pippel, like to debate.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

In some cases that's true, but it's very cleared to me that it's not going to work in this situation at least with this person.

Crawdaddy

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Crawdaddy :)

The bottom line:

You have convinced me that instead of refusing to see it period, I should spend a free rental on it

If I like it and deem it worthy, I will come back with sincere apologiesfor doubting

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...and if you like, you can order from Amazon.ca for a mere $10.06 Cdn, approx.
$6.66 Usd.....
at that price, it almost pays NOT to rent, but just to have for a film with the great James Mason in it...but as they say:

Do what thou wilt...(shall be the whole of the law...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks