What's new

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
Yes, Star Trek IV, the special edition, with 6 hours of extras.

I haven't watched it yet.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I also got The Killers, Criterion's DVD set with two different movies based on this story.

Is there a review of this, somewhere?

William D Cavender

Stunt Coordinator
About "Journey", I find it hard to believe that the anti censorship people are not making a fuss about this censored version of "Journey".... I want the whole thing, including the edited out, censored singing of Pat that I saw and herd in the films initial release. Bring it on!

DeeF

Screenwriter
Just curious, WDC, what was censored?

It doesn't seem like the kind of movie that would require censorship.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Sometimes I think we confuse censorship with aesthetic trimming. Both can have very serious repercussions.

A movie like A Star Is Born (1954) wasn't censored, but it was seriously cut-down by a studio determined to make a buck.

Perhaps this happened in the case of Journey.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I love Jules Verne's novel, but from the descriptions of this film I see if blasphemes quite a bit with wholesale unnecessary alterations such as adding a villain(Count Saknussen ???)

My question

Does it blaspheme, or does it follow its source material?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, it doesn't blaspheme nor does it follow the source material very well. If you're a purist where the Verne novel is concerned then by all means avoid the movie at all costs.

Actually, the film is a great deal more fun than the book and though its been years since I read the book, I believe the female characters are additions that were not in the original source material.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, come on. This is a marvelous entertainment. Adaptations are best when they use the original source material as inspiration. Adaptations that rigorously follow the source material as if it were a roadmap are little more than carbon copies of another artist's work.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is very much of its time, replete with gussied up lizards meant to resemble dimetrodons, a crooning Pat Boone, completely implausible "science." And yet it's endearing and entertaining in a magical way.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I'll see if I can review the disc, but I'm not going to pay for it

I want word for word, scene for scene. That's how I am. Additions drive me INSANE.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I saw this when it first came out (I was 9) about 10 times in the first few weeks of release...it remains one of my all time favorite films. I am SO waiting for this!

Although I've had various VHS tapes (commercial and off-TV) over the years, I don't think I've seen it in widescreen since the early 70's when it played in a repertory theater around here from time to time.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I want word for word, scene for scene. That's how I am. Additions drive me INSANE
Jeff:

Considering the number of book-to-film adaptations that have been done over the years, and the degree of changes made, I'm surprised you're not posting with your nose because of the straight jacket you're wearing. :)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Jeff, as your fellow Battlestar Galactica enthusiast, trust me. The movie is worth seeing and having. There already is a straight adaptation of the original Verne novel in the Leonard Nimoy-John DeLancie audio dramatization, so those who want it "word for word" have their version and this can allow us to enjoy a different (and IMO better) take on the story that still retains the essence of the original.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Though I am still annoyed that the DVD does not include the supplements of the LD featuring the alternate UK scenes.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I just ignore them, or bitch endlessly :)

I understand when minor changes need to be made to accomodate the medium, I however do NOT understand at the wholesale invention of scenes, characters etc

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, as your fellow Battlestar Galactica enthusiast, trust me. The movie is worth seeing and having. There already is a straight adaptation of the original Verne novel in the Leonard Nimoy-John DeLancie audio dramatization, so those who want it "word for word" have their version and this can allow us to enjoy a different (and IMO better) take on the story that still retains the essence of the original.
Yup, got that. I have all the Alien Voices, great stuff. I'm not saying you can't have this version, I'm saying that it's not what I want.

Perhaps I'll try to rent it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks