What's new

Journey to the Center of the Earth & Day the Earth Stood Still - coming March 4th (1 Viewer)

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I'll triple second the thanks to Fox and Peter Staddon for Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I remember that chat, and have frequently posted my enthusiasm on HTF. And now its within months!!! Yippeee!!!

Dan

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Anyone have any info for the DVD specs of Journey to the Centre of the Earth?
I recall the quote that Peter Staddon said in the HTF chat on 31 July 2001.
--------------
CraigBeam- Hi Peter. It's an honor to talk to you and be able to thank
you personally for all the great Fox DVDs. You've done so much already -
it seems greedy to ask for more, but I've got to ask about the status of
my favorite Fox movie, 1959's JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.
RonEpstein- oooh Great Film!
PeterStaddon- You know thats a title that we have completely overlooked.
There are no plans to release it right now. But if it ends up being released in the
next 12 months its because you raised it here tonight.
----------------
Although its not quite within a year of the chat - thanks to HTF members it was hopefully bumped up the schedules. Cheers comrades!
I'd buy it barebones (its such a classic) but I hope it has a few extras as icing on the cake. Mind you - one extra could be removing the awful Pat Boone song from the cut and having it as a 'should have been' deleted scene :)
Lets support Fox with these classics - I think there is a decent demand for classic releases so the more we buy the more we'll get.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
We all have much to be grateful for here. The Day the Earth Stood Still is an essential release that will have been lavished with first-rate treatment by the studio that always aims to please the fans. There's no way my library could ever hope to seem satisfying unless it contained the 1951 Robert Wise classic. The disc will be glorious.

And a big, big grin about Journey. That Bernard Hermann score is going to sound smashing and Liszt-like! Can't wait.

Don't forget: The Blue Max is in the pipeline for an eventual release.

Next year will be immensely satisfying.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Another 3 for the collection (will get Quest for Fire too). I do hope One Million Years BC isn't too far behind, with at least a few bonus features...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I hope that the LD documentary for TDTES, "Making The Earth Stand Still," isn't cut in length ala Universal's standard operating procedure for LD docs. Since Fox is giving it its own side of the disc, I would hope that all 70 minutes will remain intact.
DJ

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator
Bit worried that the deleted scenes from the JTTCOTE LD are not mentioned within the spec list. They’re not major but I can’t think of any good reason for leaving them off.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Day The Earth Stood Still DVD is shaping up to be a truly great must-buy. :emoji_thumbsup:
I'd love some extras forThe Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, but as long as the transfer is good/great then I'll be delighted. James Mason fans rejoice! :D
And I'm glad to hear that The Blue Max may be coming soon. Quality film. Never seen it in it's original CinemaScope ratio (wasn't it Fox's last CinemaScope film before they started using Panavision only?) and a clean, sharp 2.35:1 anamorphic DVD edition will be fab. :)
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: RIP, Jim Coburn, he was an innarestin' cat! :wink: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Gordy

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
some comments about these releases - DVD file shows day the Earth stood Still as mono only - some one else here says English mono and Stereo - I hope they are right about the stereo. about ten years ago Fox got out the multiple channel tracks for the music to make a CD and decided to use them to mix the film for true stereo. This version has been shown on AMC and it was used on a Jpanes laser disc (in English) which I have. That laser also uses a dynamite trailer for Journey to the Center of the earth.
DVD file also says the dVD of Journey is MONO - Please let this not be true. Can Peter STaddon jump in here and give us the story?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to thank Fox for releasing these films and for their big push in 2003 of releasing classic films on DVD. JTTCOTE is one of my childhood faves and a film that even if it is barebones, is worth a lot more to me than the $10 it will cost to own it.
The possible DVD release of The Blue Max only adds to my excitement.

GregK

Screenwriter
Don't worry about DVDfile's audio listings. They've made these same type of mistakes in the past.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Damn right we're all gonna buy 'em! And though stereo/multi-channel soundtracks would be nice, I'm totally fine with the original mono tracks. That's how these films were exhibited originally, after all. Hopefully JOURNEY looks as gorgeous on DVD as it does playing in my head...

Eric F

Screenwriter
Ha. I still have visions of the dopey looking giant lizards running through my head. Nice corny classic film.

If you like JTTCOTE (say that 5times fast), be sure to pick up The Island at the Top of the World. It's an early Anchor Bay release, 1.66 letterboxed. Picked it up for $6.99 at Kmart.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
And though stereo/multi-channel soundtracks would be nice, I'm totally fine with the original mono tracks. That's how these films were exhibited originally, after all.
Journey to the Center of the Earth was originally released in magnetic stereo - stereo is the preferred audio format for this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks