What's new

Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008) (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Here's the specs and images of the DVD and Blu-ray releases...available in either 2D or 3D.

Journey to the Center of the Earth (US - DVD R1 | BD RA) in News > Releases at DVDActive

Seems Warner is only giving us a standard DD track, no (+) or lossless audio tracks on this one as well.

This is another film, like Speed Racer, that would greatly benefit from a lossless track and yet another film that is off my to buy list until Warner fixes it.

(Thanks Shane)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Lossless, nothing; I'm waiting until Warner can bring out a full-on 3-D version. The movie cries out for it! Enough of the red/blue garbage.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
You can get either the 2D or 3D, the 3D version comes with 4 sets of 3D glasses. I'll edit my post above to reflect that.

Shaun

Second Unit
So, I guess the rule with Warner Bros. is that if the movie is a box office flop, we shouldn't expect lossless high definition audio on a format designed specifically for high definition content. This only applies to new releases though, not catalog titles which are hit and miss when it comes to which one receives lossless or not.

Assuming this, I guess The Dark Knight should include lossless audio since it obviously did very well at the box office. But with Warner Bros, who knows.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I enjoyed this silly but charming movie immensely in the theater. But it ain't about the audio tracks, it's ALL about the 3D. Without that dimension, there's really not much point.

Unfortunately, the anaglyph (red/blue) 3D they're providing here is really WORSE than no 3D at all because it trashes the color integrity of the image. So, IMO, this is a non-starter.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I cannot agree with your comments Bob. We just finished this up on Blu and the 3D is quite impressive. I only really noticed that the bright scene colors were off but most of the film is dark so the 3D effects work very well. Kids were jumping out of their seats and reaching up towards the screen, it was great. The entire film has quite a bit of depth to it so while it has it's fair share of pop-outs the entire film looks very 3D.

Sadly, no lossless but the DD track is quite impressive and while I have a pretty firm stance on no lossless = no sale this one I will buy. It's a fun, clean, family popcorn film that delivers, and the 3D effects are a blast.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I too have to agree with Ron on this one. This movie seems to get the most 'play' time when any of my kid's friends come over. I wonder when they are going to get sick of seeing this movie. The 3-D presentation is fantastic. We really enjoyed the movie too.

Jeff

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I, too, enjoy this Blu-ray presentation. It nearly gives anaglyph a good name (!) There are far fewer instances in this presentation of the blue/red split or ghosting that tend to be why we get headaches while viewing this format. I did not often find myself unwillingly crossing my eyes in order to try to experience the dimensional effects. Many of the 3-D shots are simply astonishing. Yes, of course, the color is severely compromised, but once you get passed this, try to consider the release as a very impressive gap-filler until an affordable and effective sequential system is made available. If the studios continue to release 3-D anaglyph versions of their movies that look as good as this one, I will keep buying them. The one I would NOT recommend is POLAR EXPRESS, which has all the inherent format problems in spades and proportionally as many really awful red/blue split shots as JOURNEY manages NOT to have. It's easy to adjust your t.v. for JOURNEY. For EXPRESS (for me, at least), it's a nightmare, and even when optimally calibrated it still does not yield an acceptable 3-D experience, other than a few dozen very effective shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trishy!
Recent bookmarks