JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN... what a disaster!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I have about five (out of 800) pan and scan DVD's in my collection. Two of them are Disney's WHITE FANG and JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN. I like both of these films so much (largely due to Jed the wolf-dog) that I actually decided to live with the cropping. WHITE FANG, if not for this factor, actually looks pretty gorgeous. But NATTY GANN is another story. This was a 2.35:1 release IN 1985, so a great deal of image is missing. Even worse, it is muddy and blurry and grainy and crappy-looking...no better than a good VHS or a bad laser disc. God, I am so-o-o bitter that Disney would emasculate this beautiful film so (at least James Horner's lovely - and commercially unavailable - score sounds good here). Anchor Bay was going to release this originally, and you know it would have been letterboxed and looked great. But Disney seems fine about trashing its own movies callously if it doesn't expect a million sales. I am hoping they will eventually come around and re-issue this and WHITE FANG and BABY and a bunch of others in the widescreen editions they deserve.

2. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I'm holding my breathe but running out oh oxygen.

I have a long list of DVDs that I would like to buy but No OAR=No Sale.

3. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Sadly, you have confirmed the wisdom of my decision not to purchase NATTY GANN when it first came out. It could have been such a fine video if produced properly. Shame and shame on Disney for trashing this lovely movie.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm with you guys.

Great little movie; atrocious PS transfer.

It's just sad.

5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Well, Disney is releasing a OAR/B&W Absent-Minded Professor, so there's always a glimmer of hope.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I hope everyone who cares about these particular titles *has called* Disney to express their veiews and how they desire to purchase a newly-mastered/transfered OAR 16x9 WS version.

Keep it polite. don't talk about HTF. Just let them know you're a consumer and you want OAR.

See phone # in sig...

7. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    I also was disappointed in finding both the Moon-Spinners and Savage Sam in fullscreen from Disney. I went ahead and got the Moon-Spinners because I doubted it would ever get a re-release and I loved the movie so much, but every time that panning and scanning is visible I feel my teeth grinding. I just saw Savage Sam on the shelf fullscreen yesterday so I'm not jumping on that one.

8. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I phoned when it was first announced, but I got the usual impression that the person on the other end didn't have a clue.

9. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    i agree...VERY disappointed in the transfer as well. i bourght it without even thinking that they would 4 x 3 such a title....but they most certainly did (ugh!!!). But i bet the whole thing boils down to money...if it was worth it to do a 16 x 9 enhanced. Not enuff us will purchase the title.

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Well, by not doing an OAR release they are guaranteeing that most true film enthusaists will pass on these releases, which for deep catalogue is a significant portion of the market.