What's new

journey live on DVD! need input (1 Viewer)

eltres

Auditioning
Just got the live journey dvd and and sound is pretty bad unless something is wrong with the dvd.It sounds to live! I know it's live but the vocals are not clear it just sounds like if you are outside a venue or like in the lobby of a venue.I hope i make sense.The songs are great and the video looks real good.Anyone have it?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I gave this to my wife for Christmas, and I know she's played one track off of it "to test it", but I was outside at the time. If she had a complaint like that, she didn't mention it to me. She DID compare Augeri to Perry positively, the same as she did when we same the new lineup live in concert a few years back when they came to town. If she had a complaint, I'm certain she would have been VERY vocal about it! :)
She's still in bed, but I'll check with her later and try to post something later and tell you what she thought, at least of that one track, or snatch of a track.
I'm sure it won't be long before we both sit down and listen to it end-to-end, though.

Ralph Caceres

Auditioning
I bought this disc a couple of weeks ago. I have also noticed this, the problem is that the center channel is not being used just the 2 front speakers. I got used to it after the 3rd song. The sound quality is pretty good. I do not know if this was an over looked error or not. I hope this helped....I bought this disc a couple of weeks ago. I have also noticed this, the problem is that the center channel is not being used just the 2 front speakers. I got used to it after the 3rd song. The sound quality is pretty good. I do not know if this was an over looked error or not. I hope this helped.... I bought this disc a couple of weeks ago. I have also noticed this, the problem is that the center channel is not being used just the 2 front speakers. I got used to it after the 3rd song. The sound quality is pretty good. I do not know if this was an over looked error or not. I hope this helped....

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Ralph! :)
Okay, my wife had no complaints, and we wondered what you meant, so we stuck it in while we were getting dressed for work. We played the first and last songs, "Separate Ways" and "Faithfully".
We have no complaints.
We do not have a 5.1 setup yet; we use the TV's stereo speakers only. If it's a 5.1 issue, as Ralph indicates, then we can't help judge or validate that.
Other things to note about this concert are these:
* Augeri isn't quite Perry where the singing is concerned; the octaves are the same but the timbre is a bit different. He's the best possible replacement for Perry they could have found, but his style is still a bit rougher than Perry's. This might translate into what you're hearing.
* In some places you can definately hear the crowd singing along. This produces an effect similar to what you decribe...a kind of muted, distant sound to the concert.
Compare it to, say, Rush, where the performance sounds almost identical to the studio version. If it's not a 5.1 mix issue, then it might be one of these.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No Steve Perry, No Sale!
That's right!! It doesn't matter that it's any good or not! I never listen to any music group unless the original group of artists are performing in the band!
NO PETE BEST = NO SALE!!
smiley_tongue.gif

Pete K

Agent
Thanks for the warning about Journey.

I'm going to have to listen for what other people say before I buy music DVDs.

Take Cheap Trick's Silver. Not only was the video shot with less than stellar cameras causing the video to suck,

but the audio (DD) ain't that great either.

Timothy H

Auditioning
I have found the problem with this disc is that the rear channels are mixed way too hot. They are drowning out the front channels which carry the vocals. I turned down the rear channels to -10 (all the way) on my Pioneer receiver - Now the disc sounds absolutely fantastic. I can now hear the vocals, which before were mixed to far in the background. As for the lack of Steve Perry on this recording... Steve Perry was not an original member of Journey, and the last time I saw them, (1986) he had a hard time hitting some of the notes even then. Yes I know all of their hits were sung by him, but in my opinion, the sound of Journey is Neil Schon. That guy could never be replaced. Steve Augeri has proven himself with the Arrival album. His vocals are top notch on this disc. I encourage all who already own this disc to turn down the rear channels and give the disc another chance. I would love to have Steve Perry era Journey on DVD, but this is the next best thing.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
TimothyH - Great reply! I could not have said it better myself!!

Steve Augeri is the best possible replacement for Perry they could have gotten. Heck, he even looks a bit like him!

Give him a chance, folks...on many songs, if you close your eyes you cannot tell the difference.

NO PETE BEST = NO SALE!!
Pete Best and his involvement with the Beatles VS. Steve Perry and his contribution to Journey would be the musical equivalent of apples VS. oranges.

No Steve Perry was not a original member of Journey but they also sold about 12 records prior to his arrival. As far as Steve Augeri sounding like Perry yes he indeed does sound very similar. Still not a substitute for the real thing. However music is very subjective and I say whatever makes a person happy............

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
First off, the sound. I actually think Kevin Shirley overmixed this to get Steve Augeri's voice to sound like Steve Perry's. I have seen Journey three times with Steve A. and I do not recall him sounding that good. That said, If you crank the volume up it sounds just like a concert, i usually switch the settings on my reciever to stadium or arena when I listen to concerts and that seems to do the trick.
I really like this DVD. I wish Sony would push Journey a lot more than they do. Steve Augeri gives new life to the band, but when Sony promotes the band they mention him like a disclaimer or something. (journey with new lead singer steve augeri replacing steve perry... there we told you so don't think you can take this disc back because you thought perry was still with the band)END OF RANT.
Bottom line if you turn the volume up loud enough to get the sound bouncing everywhere, you won't notice the mix :D
ENJOY...
dan

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I don't want to get too far off the subject, but I will. ;) I'm a Journey fan too and I wish Steve Perry was still with the band. I hesitate buying this DVD since Perry is not the lead, but if I understand this DVD correctly, it is footage of a Las Vegas concert filmed in December of 2000.
My understanding is that way prior to this Schon and the other band members had invited Perry to return for the Arrival album and this tour. Perry stalled them several times and would not give them a definitive answer. So eventually they had to move on and sign Augeri. Seemed like both sides confirmed this on a recent VH1 Behind the Music that I saw about Journey.
Jump in if I'm incorrect or have left something out.
Peace,
DM

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Essentially correct!
Here's a quote from the Band History portion of the FAQ at the Link Removed:
In mid 1995, Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain, Ross Valory, Steve Smith, and Steve Perry reunited and started work on a new album. On October 22, 1996, Journey released their reunion album, Trial By Fire. The album was considered successful, especially considering it was their first album in ten years. Sadly, Steve Perry suffered an injury, which has kept the band from touring and promoting the album.
Eager to tour after eleven years and Steve still incapable of going on the road, Journey hires a new lead vocalist Steve Augeri (Tall Stories). With Perry's departure, Steve Smith opts to return to his jazz band, Vital Information, and is replaced by Bad English drummer Deen Castronovo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks