Journey: Live in Houston, The Escape Tour 1981 DVD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Keith I, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Does anyone know the specs for this title? The ever-reliable DVD Empire does not even have this listed and I always use them for back cover shots to see specs. Even DVD Price Search doesn't have this listed. Are there any other places online that have a clear and large back cover shot? Is the audio stereo and/or remixed in 5.1? The video must be 1.33:1 since it was back in 1981.

Other online retailers that I have seen don't list specs either.

Even the "official" Journey website has nothing about this and I do not want to register on their forum just to ask this question. Talk about an under-the-radar release. You'd figure Journey would try to get the word out, unless there's something we don't know.

The front cover says "DVD + CD Collector's Edition." Is the CD just the concert or is there something extra to warrant "Collector's Edition"? There's a bonus song on the DVD, "Party's Over (Hopelessly in Love)" but I recall it was playing while the end credits were rolling but I could be wrong.

I remember seeing this on TV and going to their Escape concert (one of five sold-out shows!). Journey is a friend of Hawai'i since they've been here for every tour since Escape, including the Arrival tour! I wonder if they'll be here for Generations?
    -

2. WilliamMc

WilliamMc Stunt Coordinator

It's 5.1 and sounds Great!!!!! PQ is good too. Buy it!

3. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I finally got it and the weird thing is that I still remember this vividly back in 1981, even some of Steve Perry's banter with the crowd ("You see this microphone over here?"). I guess it made that much of an impression on me.

The 5.1 mix is really good, clear and clean, not too muddy or "juiced" (as someone in the Rush-R30 thread said for that disc).

The only complaint is that the video is too short. Only about 75 minutes? The CD has one extra song. I can't believe that the actual concert was that short with that huge arena and crowd. I went to one of their concerts here for that very tour and it wasn't 75 minutes. Too bad any extra concert footage wasn't saved/available/used.

But I'm not complaning that much. The CD is a nice touch and the booklet is nicely designed.

4. David Stone

David Stone Stunt Coordinator

Where can this DVD be found??? DVD Price Search still doesn't have it listed.

From the description, this sounds like the Escape tour concert that MTV aired. I remember that I recorded that show on our "new" VHS VCR and darn near wore that tape out that summer. I would be great to see it again.

5. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I saw it at walmart a few days ago. I think it was on sale for 13 or 14 dollars. You are correct, it is the show mtv aired.

6. David Stone

My area Wal-Mart didn't have a listing for it in their system, but I found it at Best Buy for $17.99.

Watch a bit and what really liked what I saw. I haven't decided yet if the PCM or 5.1 mix is better. I can say that I don't care for the overlapping disc packaging. (Both discs are snapped into the same side, with the top one overlapping half the bottom one.) Going to scan in the outer case artwork ASAP so I can print a sleeve for a proper plastic 2-DVD case.

7. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    It's $11.99 at BestBuy.com. If you buy online and choose in-store pickup (if you have a store near you and they have it in-stock), you can save on shipping. CircuitCity.com has it for $17.99.

Amazon and CD Universe also has it online.

8. David Stone

How is it listed on BestBuy.com? All I could find was the "Journey: Live 2001" release.

9. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Type "Journey Houston" in the search box for the entire site. It's not listed under the Movies category.