What's new

Journey 20001 DVD....get it! (1 Viewer)

Brian O

Second Unit
Oops, make that 2001.:)
I picked this one up at Costco the other day for $12.99. My Costco just got a bunch of concert DVDs in for that price. Ya gotta love it.
Any ways, I had held off on this one previously due to a new lead singer. But, this guy is great and is basically a Steve Perry clone. Not only in voice but appearance, dress, and stage presence. Trust me, you will not even think twice about it after the first verse. He has all the intonations and phrasing down pat in the songs.
They do 20+ songs in 4:3 screen format but very clean. The audio is DD 5.1 and PCM Stereo. The DD is very nice. Great fidelity with a front centered soundstage and nice ambiance in the rears. The bit-rate was consistently pegged at 9. The concert is from Vegas in Dec. 2000.
The performance is top notch. I had forgot how much I liked their stuff. It's a no brainer if you are/were a fan. If you aren't, you probably will be.:)

wally

Second Unit
Thanks Brian,

Whats the rest of the line up. Do they have Steve Smith on drums?

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
The drummer is Deen Castronovo from an earlier schon project called Bad English, Ross Valory is the bass player. Steve Augeri (pronounced Ojerry) on lead vocals, Augeri fronted a very good band called Tall Stories. This DVD is a great buy but the lead vocals seem a little muffled in the 5.1 track. Maybe it's my system though.

Brian O

Second Unit
Kenny -

You are correct on the band's lineup. The lead vocal sounded clear and distinct on my setup. I was really impressed with the fidelity and bass of this mix.

Craig_T

Second Unit
This should come with their "Behind the Music" episode. They had one of the better ones I've seen.

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
Incredible DVD. They have never sounded better.

If you guys are into drummers, Deen Castronovo puts on an incredible display. He has incredibly fast feet and his double bass stuff sounds like a machine gun on a couple of songs.

The sound is quite good, but I will have to agree with the poster who said the lead vocals are down in the mix.

There is relatively little output coming from the center channel, as this is oriented more like a 2 channel mix in the front, much like Peter Frampton's Live in Detroit.

It did not bother me because I am into the music not the lyrics.

This DVD is a must have and is highly recommended.

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
In regards to the "Behind the Music" episode on VH-1.

I did not like it at all.

There was absolutely NO mention of Steve Smith until the last few minutes of the program.

His drumming style and sound completely changed the way a lot of drummer's played.

"Don't Stop Believin'" is a classic and had a lot of drummers scratching their heads until the figured he was playing the hi hat with is left hand and the snare/tom/bell with his right.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Don't Stop Believin'" is a classic and had a lot of drummers scratching their heads until the figured he was playing the hi hat with is left hand and the snare/tom/bell with his right.
His work on "Any Way You Want It" is equally good. I love the ride during the bridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks