Josie And The Pussycats rating question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Lang, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang Extra

Just saw this movie and i loved it! So I am looking forward to adding it to my collection, but there seems to to versions out a PG and a PG-13 version. Whats the difference and what is the most "unrated" version? MPAA's site did not really give any clues (that I could understand anyway [​IMG] ).
    So what is the version to get? (when possible I prefer my movies to be unrated [​IMG] i.e. closest to the directors original vision).
    Thanks in advance.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    This is certaintly news to me. I have the PG 13 version, but if their are indeed 2 versons out, I must have gotten lucky and just happened to get this one.
    I would think that the PG 13 version would be the one to get, because it would contain more explicit material than the PG version.

3. Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang Extra

Thanks for your answer John. It just that the entire MPAA rating system i quite confusing to understand when your nok not from America (to me it is). Well, it seems like the PG-13 version is the one i will be getting, thanks again.

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    According to what I've read, the PG13-rated version is the version the played in theaters, while the PG-rated version is a new director's cut.

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Uh, wasn't part of the ratings issue during the opening with the sign that Tara Reid is holding?

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

7. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Universal released this PG cut on DVD a few months after the previous PG-13 release. Both have the same running time according to the back of the box, so I'm guessing very little was edited out to get that PG. Go with the PG-13 version as it's the "true" cut of the film (if you could say) and the film is in it's OAR (1.85:1). The PG cut on DVD is in pan and scan only.

8. Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang Extra

Thanks for making the situation very clear Matthew Chmiel. The Pan & Scan part really did the job now I know it is the PG-13 version I want [​IMG]

9. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

"The PG-Rated version is aimed for kids, and kids want their screen filled!"

They assume too much...

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hehe, nice to see another person enjoying Josie and the Pussycats so much... Rachel Leigh Cook is so cute... [​IMG]