What's new

Josh's Blind Buys: Watching The Unseen Collection (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just got one of those weekly HTF "here's what's going on with us" type emails, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that this thread was promoted in the top of the email on the list of most popular threads at HTF this week. That's all on you, guys! I can write the starter posts but if no one talks about anything, then I'm just talking to myself, so really, my continued thanks to everyone for making this such an enjoyable experience for me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not a blind buy, as I'd seen it before, but just finished watching City Slickers. I can't believe I'm old enough to say things like "I haven't seen it in twenty years" but, well, I haven't seen it in twenty years. With all of the cowboy movies lately I was feeling nostalgic for it, I had fond memories from my childhood. It's funny, I remembered all the cattle drive stuff pretty clearly, but not Billy Crystal's character's midlife crisis that sets the whole thing in motion. As a kid I picked up on the humor but missed the more meaningful story points. Watching it now, I really appreciated the whole thing. Great picture, and Jack Palance's Oscar win was well deserved.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Speaking of combo packs, I had wanted to revisit All The President's Men, and noticed that the combo with 3 Days Of The Condor was only $6.50 at Amazon - the standalone version of All The President's Men, which includes the exact same BD disc, was more. I've seen All The President's Men but I don't think I've seen 3 Days Of The Condor, so that will be an eventual watch here at some point. Not a high priority at this moment but it's always nice to get a bonus film for free, especially on Blu-ray.

It seems that the reason for these discounts may be that the Warner-Paramount distribution may be winding down. I've noticed that a lot of the double and triple feature combos which have included both Warner and Paramount titles are now out of print, but that a lot of "fulfilled by Amazon" merchants have them onsale at single digit prices. I just got a set with Disclosure and Fatal Attraction for $5 (less than what either costs on its own), and I picked up Ben-Hur with The Ten Commandments for about $7 maybe a year ago. These might be starting to disappear, so for anyone potentially interested in titles that they've put in combos, I highly recommend taking a peek at what's available before they're gone.

I have that same double feature of All The President's Men and 3 Days of the Condor. The latter feature is okay, but not nearly as good a film as the former. I bought the double feature to replace my original All The President's Men, which is the only Blu-ray disc I ever had go bad -- somehow it cracked along the center hole (must have been when removing it from the case).

As for The Professionals, while I do not have the same passion for the film as Robert or Jeff, I still think it's a terrific film. It's funny that you mentioned watching it again yesterday, Robert. I've had an urge to re-watch it recently, too, but put it back on the shelf late last week and instead watched something else. All this talk made me decide to fulfill that urge this evening. The movie gets better with every viewing.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't know Mr. Lancaster as well as I should.

I saw, on the German BD thread, that Ulzana's Raid is coming to BD in May at the same time two Jimmy Stewart westerns I like are coming out. So I will probably forgo the DVD version and just get the German BD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
#23 - McLintock! (1963)
Viewed on: February 13th, 2017
Viewing Format: Blu-ray (Paramount)

I stumbled upon a description of this movie over on the classic westerns thread, and I was intrigued: John Wayne in a comedy?! Seemingly inspired by Shakespeare's Taming Of The Shrew, and directed by Andrew V. McLaglen who directed a number of John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart westerns, the movie was an utter delight from start to finish.

Wayne plays the title character, a wealthy cattle baron and popular resident of a town named after him. His wife (Maureen O'Hara) left two years earlier, suspecting that Wayne had cheated on him, and it seems she's made it her life mission to be as unpleasant as possible unless and until he grants her a divorce, which he is unwilling to do. Subplots include the return home of Wayne's daughter from college, and the hiring of a widow with an adult son to help take care of the house. But the plot details aren't as important as the general sense of fun invoked here, and to write out every event that happened would take away from the enjoyment of watching the craziness build.

Everyone in the cast is fantastic, led by Wayne and O'Hara, who have tremendous screen chemistry. I loved getting to see John Wayne start of playing the straight man to a town filling with crazies, and seeing him eventually starting to go crazy himself. Whether Wayne is playing physical comedy (such as an extended sequence involving a drunken Wayne's inability to climb stairs) or playing insult comedy by trading barbs with O'Hara, he's an utter delight.

I was very satisfied with the disc from Paramount, from a master provided by Wayne's production company Batjac. The film may be partially in the public domain, but as the film's score is still under copyright, the legal status of any PD releases is questionable. But with that said, the authorized Paramount disc is really the one you want. It looks and sounds very good, and includes lossless 5.1 and mono audio tracks; the 5.1 remix uses surrounds subtlety but it's a nice enhancement of the soundscape. Though I haven't gotten around to the bonus features yet, the disc includes featurettes, a commentary, a trailer, and an introduction by film critic Leonard Maltin.

McLintock! is an absolutely delightful movie that I am very pleased to have added to my collection. I had the same sense of joy watching it that I did during last year's Cary Grant binge with "Father Goose." Watching the movie, I felt transported to another time and place and felt welcomed there. The cast is an absolute delight, the script gives a lot of opportunity for everyone to shine, and McLaglen directs with a sure hand. Who knew John Wayne could be so funny? So far, this is the blind buy I've enjoyed the most this year.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
#23 - McLintock! (1963)

I stumbled upon a description of this movie over on the classic westerns thread, and I was intrigued: John Wayne in a comedy?! Seemingly inspired by Shakespeare's Taming Of The Shrew, and directed by Andrew V. McLaglen who directed a number of John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart westerns, the movie was an utter delight from start to finish.

Wayne plays the title character, a wealthy cattle baron and popular resident of a town named after him. His wife (Maureen O'Hara) left two years earlier, suspecting that Wayne had cheated on him, and it seems she's made it her life mission to be as unpleasant as possible unless and until he grants her a divorce, which he is unwilling to do. Subplots include the return home of Wayne's daughter from college, and the hiring of a widow with an adult son to help take care of the house. But the plot details aren't as important as the general sense of fun invoked here, and to write out every event that happened would take away from the enjoyment of watching the craziness build.

Everyone in the cast is fantastic, led by Wayne and O'Hara, who have tremendous screen chemistry. I loved getting to see John Wayne start of playing the straight man to a town filling with crazies, and seeing him eventually starting to go crazy himself. Whether Wayne is playing physical comedy (such as an extended sequence involving a drunken Wayne's inability to climb stairs) or playing insult comedy by trading barbs with O'Hara, he's an utter delight.

I was very satisfied with the disc from Paramount, from a master provided by Wayne's production company Batjac. The film may be partially in the public domain, but as the film's score is still under copyright, the legal status of any PD releases is questionable. But with that said, the authorized Paramount disc is really the one you want. It looks and sounds very good, and includes lossless 5.1 and mono audio tracks; the 5.1 remix uses surrounds subtlety but it's a nice enhancement of the soundscape. Though I haven't gotten around to the bonus features yet, the disc includes featurettes, a commentary, a trailer, and an introduction by film critic Leonard Maltin.

McLintock! is an absolutely delightful movie that I am very pleased to have added to my collection. I had the same sense of joy watching it that I did during last year's Cary Grant binge with "Father Goose." Watching the movie, I felt transported to another time and place and felt welcomed there. The cast is an absolute delight, the script gives a lot of opportunity for everyone to shine, and McLaglen directs with a sure hand. Who knew John Wayne could be so funny? So far, this is the blind buy I've enjoyed the most this year.

We'll there you go. Wish I had enjoyed it as much as you Josh.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We'll there you go. Wish I had enjoyed it as much as you Josh.

It doesn't hurt that I'm a particular fan of this brand of comedy, that is, a leading man that we're used to seeing in more dramatic or straight roles being forced to deal with indignity after indignity - whether it's Cary Grant in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Father Goose, or Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation - it's fun to see someone like Wayne pushed past his breaking point, and then just sitting back and watching the fireworks explode.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Seek out Wayne's North To Alaska. Right up your alley.

Thanks, will likely do that - I see it's available for rental digitally so I will probably opt to do that rather than buying the disc. There wasn't an HD version of McLintock available to rent, which is why I bought the disc.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
#23 - McLintock! (1963)

I'm not sure I've ever seen McLintok, but after your write-up, I think I need to. I have seen North to Alaska a looooooong time ago and remember liking it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
#23 - McLintock! (1963)

From McLintock!, I used to have a line of dialogue in my HTF signature. Wayne spoke it just before O'Hara enters the store during the chess game.

"Camille, you're on your own!"

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you don't have the other films, this is a good collection that includes North to Alaska (other than the disc of The Longest Day, which is a waxy mess):

https://www.amazon.com/John-Wayne-F...sr=8-2&keywords=john+wayne+blu-ray+collection

Thanks for the heads up - on the fence since I've got one of the movies, and not sure how interested I am in the rest. Trying to keep the buying under control but this is tempting :)

I just have a feeling I'm not going to be on John Wayne forever - I've got a lot of other types of movies sitting on my shelf, and I'm feeling like it may be time for a change of pace soon. Basically, if I get it, I probably won't watch all of the titles anytime soon. If I don't get it, then I'll wish that I had it some night at 2am when I can't decide what to watch. Decisions, decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks