What's new

Josh's Blind Buys: Watching The Unseen Collection (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Josh,

I am sorry you didn't care for Once Upon a Time in the West. The Spaghetti Western genre is definitely not for everyone, and apparently you fit into that category.

I am a fan of the genre, and I feel that this film is Sergio Leone's masterpiece. While the pacing is slow, that is Leone's way of film making. The cinematography and music are both iconic to me.

FYI, I just picked up the BD of Companeros -- another spaghetti western -- during a price drop when I was buying some UHD's on Thanksgiving morning before hopping in the car for the three hour drive to my parents in northern Michigan. It's the only disc in that batch of purchases where my wife turned her nose up when seeing the title. :rolling-smiley:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
#142 - All The King's Men (1949)
Viewed on: November 6th, 2017
Viewing Format: Blu-ray (Twilight Time)

This one had been on my radar for a long time for unconventional reasons. The novel this film is based on, by Robert Penn Warren, is one of my little brother's very favorite books. He's been recommending it to everyone for as long as I can remember, but I never got around to reading it. I'm not sure if he ever saw this version, but he did tell me that he thought the Sean Penn version was a disaster. But this film, directed by Robert Rossen and starring Broderick Crawford, has a much better reputation. I picked it up during a Twilight Time sale pretty recently, and on this particular night I felt like something older and more dialogue driven, and this seemed like a good choice.

The acclaim is justified; Crawford's Academy Award winning performance drives the film. Crawford plays Willie Stark, who starts the film as a nobody with powerful ideals against corruption, but finds those ideals slipping as he ascends to the governor's office. John Ireland plays a reporter sent to cover Stark's rise, and the film is told from his perspective. Joanne Dru co-stars as Ireland's love interest, who eventually becomes Crawford's mistress instead.

Since this is a Twilight Time disc using a master from Sony, there's not much that needs to be said: it looks and sounds fantastic. English subtitles are available. The disc also includes an isolated score track and a trailer.

Though it's not exactly subtle, All The King's Men has aged well and plays just as powerfully today as it must have upon its original release. Robert Rossen's script and direction is compelling, and Crawford delivers a powerful lead performance against a cast holds its own. It's always nice to see a classic that lives up to its reputation, and this certainly qualifies.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh, I have a title I'll be watching soon and I was curious if it's on your list. It's not, but if it was, it made me wonder if there was a way on your first post to make each title a link so we could tap it and be taken to the review post for convenience. I'm not saying you should do this, but it would make it easier for reference. I've searched for specific reviews the hard way and manually clicked pages till I found it. I suppose the search tool would help. :)

...you can get the direct link to a post by copying the link on the post number... Just embed the unique link for each review to the post with the title. Presto! An index.

Done!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I bought All the King's Men during the sale, too, and I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but I have already passed along my DVD to a friend. Hopefully I can get around to it sometime this week.

I read the book during a college course called "Modern British and American Novel," so I've always felt the film captured much what was great about the book.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I re-read All the King's Men in a new version, called the "original author's edition" or something like that, which offers more flesh to the characterizations and more profanity. It was edited for the times, much like From Here to Eternity. Both novels in their unedited versions are much better.
As for the film, All the King's Men, which I also had the pleasure of seeing in 35mm, is a great film about the rise of a populist politician and the terrible aftermath. It packed a punch when I saw it as a child, and it still does. It is a powerful film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I re-read All the King's Men in a new version, called the "original author's edition" or something like that, which offers more flesh to the characterizations and more profanity. It was edited for the times, much like From Here to Eternity. Both novels in their unedited versions are much better.

Thanks, Jose! There's something I had never heard of.

I think I need to go write a letter to Santa...

EDIT: Amazon has a copy of what is called "The Restored Version" on the cover. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Josh, I forgot about that suggestion of doing direct links! I'll second Ramon's post, that must have been a mammoth task! And thank you very much for doing that. Should be a useful reference now. :)

I just tried one link to ffolkes. It worked. :). I hadn't seen that film yet, but read about it in Roger Moore's memoir. I still have to finish reading that.

Thanks again! Don't suppose you could do that for the Cary Grant thread. Just kidding!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Thanks, Jose! There's something I had never heard of.

I think I need to go write a letter to Santa...

EDIT: Amazon has a copy of what is called "The Restored Version" on the cover. :thumbsup:
Yes, that's the one. There's also a "Restored Version" of From Here to Eternity which is also a better read.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Same director, but different film.;)
Robert makes a good point.

It's been a very long time since I last saw Once Upon a Time in the West, essentially when that DVD release came out which was also a first time viewing, but I recall, even though I liked it, not liking it as much as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I did purchase a copy of the new BR and plan to watch it soon.

You really should give The Good, The Bad and The Ugly a viewing. It's still Leone, and still slower than a US western, but is an excellent film. If, after giving it a viewing, you're still unsold then I'd suggest just avoiding the spaghetti western genre going forward as not liking either of the top two genre entries pretty much guarantees disliking others.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

Hey Josh, I forgot about that suggestion of doing direct links! I'll second Ramon's post, that must have been a mammoth task! And thank you very much for doing that. Should be a useful reference now. :)

I just tried one link to ffolkes. It worked. :). I hadn't seen that film yet, but read about it in Roger Moore's memoir. I still have to finish reading that.

Thanks again! Don't suppose you could do that for the Cary Grant thread. Just kidding!

I'd totally forgotten about this project of yours! Nice job! I know I'll use it on occasion. :)

Gotta love the understated, unassuming four-letter post - "Done" - to announce what must have been a painstaking effort.

So much so that I suspect (by the generally muted response) that many readers may have missed what Josh's post #1284 was about.

"Done" was in reference to Post #1, where Josh has changed the text of every title he's reviewed in this epic thread into hyperlinks, so that we can simply click on the title to take us to the review.

Above and beyond!

[and thanks also to Nelson and Howie for mooting this notion in the first place]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm sure that's definitely part of it!

I have a great example of that. Even though I was the right age for it when I was a child, I never saw Labyrinth - I have no real explanation for that, it seems like everybody did, but it was never on my parents' radar, so it was never on mine. My college friends all ribbed me about having never seen it, and how it was the best thing ever, etc., etc., so finally one night I watched it with them. They had a blast, and the movie clearly worked as intended for them. But it left me cold. I was bored and restless throughout, and thought it was actually pretty terrible. I didn't have that childhood connection to it, and it was clearly one of those things where you had to be there at the time to appreciate it. I'm sure if I saw Labyrinth when I was the target age, I would have loved it and I would have considered it an all-time favorite too. But I missed the boat on that, and it was too late as an adult to go back. I never saw "The Goonies" growing up and I won't watch it now, because I know it'll be the same scenario - I'm sure I won't like it because I don't have that nostalgic connection to it, and I'm sure me not liking it will only upset the people I'd watch it with who do like it.

I think I may now avoid The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, given my response to Once Upon A Time In America.

Just my 2 cents, but I like you I also don't care for Once Upon a Time, but I do like The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly a lot.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
#143 - Need For Speed 3D (2014)
Viewed on: November 12th, 2017
Viewing Format: Blu-ray 3D (Entertain One - UK Import/Zone B Locked)

Honestly, I picked it up because it was in 3D, cheap, and I was hoping it would be cool to look at and decently entertaining. Need For Speed is based on a video game, and plays like one of the early Fast & Furious films, back when that franchise was still aiming for realism (F&F is more fun now that they've given up reality). In the film, Aaron Paul plays a brilliant underground car mechanic who basically gets tricked into a race against an old rival (Dominic Cooper), and in the process, is framed for the accidental racing death of his partner. After getting out of jail, Aaron Paul's character seeks revenge by entering a secret street race overseen by a mysterious third party (Michael Keaton).

The story is thin, but the actors do a reasonably good job of bringing these paper thin characters to life. The car racing is fine but unspectacular compared to the Fast & Furious franchise, an inevitable comparison that doesn't do this film any favors. The 3D does bring some extra excitement to the proceedings, and kept me interested.

This 3D version was imported from the UK and is Zone B locked. I didn't peruse any of the bonus features offered on the included 2D disc. The audio and video was generally fine throughout, however, I noticed three shots in the film where something seemed very screwy with the 3D. They were brief moments, but it was almost as if something went wrong either with the 3D conversion itself, or the encoding of the disc. I'm not sure how noticeable it would be if you weren't 3D obsessed but I saw it, and even though 15 seconds out of a two hour, ten minute film isn't a big deal, it seemed worth mentioning.

Overall, Need For Speed was a good enough mindless action flick for a lazy day at home. It's the kind of thing that's probably best as a rental rather than a purchase, but since I wanted to see it in 3D, I had to buy it.

**Due to an Amazon.co.uk mistake, I wound up with a second copy that they didn't want back. The slipcover is damaged but the disc itself is still sealed. If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll send it to you in exchange for a $5 Amazon.com (US) giftcard**

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
#144 - Jane Eyre (1943)
Viewed on: November 12th, 2017
Viewing Format: Blu-ray (Twilight Time)

I'm not the biggest fan of the Jane Eyre story, but I am a fan of Orson Welles, so when I needed an extra title to complete a Twilight Time sale last year, I went with this 1943 adaptation by Robert Stevenson. Joan Fontaine is the title character, and Fontaine plays her well. Welles makes a fantastic Mr. Rochester.

For those unfamiliar with the story, after enduring a harsh upbringing, Jane Eyre takes a job as a governess at a remote estate. Upon arriving, she discovers that the mansion's owner, Rochester, is rarely there, and that it's a lonely place. Rochester's ward, Adele (played by Margaret O'Brien, who I'd go on to see in Meet Me In St. Louis not long after this), quickly forms a bond with Jane, and Rochester himself returns. Jane falls for him, and he seems to return the feeling, but something mysterious seems to be holding him back.

The transfer on this now out-of-print Twilight Disc, provided by Fox, is not one of their best. However, despite the element showing age and wear, it's more than watchable and maintains a great sense of atmosphere. The audio is mostly clear and easy to understand. The disc includes a pair of commentaries, an isolated score, a making-of featurette, a trailer, and a World War II-era propaganda documentary also directed by Stevenson.

I enjoyed Jane Eyre more than I expected. At 97 minutes, the film doesn't drag, Fontaine is likeable in the title role and it's always a treat to see the young Orson Welles in action. I'm not sure that this is a film I needed to own, but I'm glad to have seen it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
#145 - Canadian Pacific (1949)
Viewed on: November 13th, 2017
Viewing Format: Blu-ray (Kino)

I picked this up a few months ago during a Kino sale. It checked a few different boxes for me: as a classic western b-movie, it's in a genre I've been discovering and enjoying this year. It's in two-color Cinecolor, a mostly forgotten process, and I enjoy archaic movie formats. And it stars Randolph Scott, who was Cary Grant's frequent roommate in between Grant's many marriages; I watched all of Grant's films last year, so why not watch one or two from his roommate? And, there's that wonderful little moment in Blazing Saddles, when Scott's name is invoked with reverence; now I could have some context for that.

Scott stars as a surveyor working on the building of the Canadian Pacific train line. Along the way, he must deal with a crooked fur trader (Victor Jory) who has convinced a local town that the train will only bring trouble. With the townspeople restless, Jory also stirs up trouble with the local Indians, and before long, Scott's getting it from all angles. Scott is a reassuring presence throughout, and with him representing the side of good, there's little doubt what the eventual outcome will be.

This is a very exciting disc from Kino. The film was restored by HTF's own Torsten Kaiser at TLEFilms in Germany and it looks fantastic. The look of the color is different from Technicolor; it has an almost pastel look to it that is both unique and pleasing. The audio has a slight background hiss but is otherwise clear and very easy to understand. The disc also includes a trailer. There's also an extensive documentary about the restoration, including samples of all of the elements used and restoration work performed. And, just to sweeten the deal, the disc also includes an extensive sample of an original 16mm color print, and samples from a silent 8mm black and white version marketed to home audiences in the 1950s. If there's one minor complaint, it's that the disc doesn't include subtitles.

I liked Canadian Pacific. The movie itself wasn't mindblowing, but the presentation and wealth of extras are well worth a look.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
#146 - The Cariboo Trail (1950)
Viewed on: November 17th, 2017
Viewing Format: Blu-ray (Kino)

I got this at the same time as Canadian Pacific, for all of the same reasons. I thought that film was okay, and it was reasonably fun to watch, but I have to confess that I enjoyed the presentation more than the film itself. I was very delighted to discover that I really enjoyed The Cariboo Trail as a film. With a story I found more involving, better characters and Scott leading an enjoyable cast, The Cariboo Trail was a delightful bit of classic filmmaking.

As the film begins, Scott and his partner (Bill Williams) are headed north; Scott wants to raise cattle, while Williams is seeking gold. They team up with an older prospector (George 'Gabby' Hayes, in a wonderful performance) along the way, but encounter trouble in the form of Victor Jory. With the cattle lost, Williams badly injured, and their partnership in tatters, it's up to Scott to set things right.

This is another fantastic disc from Kino, with nearly identical supplements to the previous film. Like Canadian Pacific, it includes a restoration from TLEFilms, a sample of a 16mm Cinecolor print, an 8mm excerpt, and a detailed restoration documentary. Overall, the look of the color here struck me as more naturalistic, and was beautiful to look at. The audio was better on this film as well. No subtitles were available.

In my rarely humble opinion, if you pick up only one of these two films, The Cariboo Trail is the one to get. Its simple story is well told, with great performances from Scott and Hayes, and the unique Cinecolor process is reproduced beautifully on this disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks