What's new

Josh's Blind Buys: Watching The Unseen Collection (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, The High and the Mighty is a little long, but that's the beauty of this melodramatic airplane disaster film. John Wayne wasn't suppose to star in this film, but just produced it. He couldn't get Spencer Tracy to agree to do it so he step into that role. I have the Vudu HD version, but haven't watched it since I got it more than a few years ago. Great musical score!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I love the score. That theme song is one of my all-time favorites.

I probably like the film a little more than you do, Josh, but I always enjoy a slower paced film where there are a lot of stories to tell. Since Island in the Sky is so readily available, and I've never seen it, I must put it on my to-watch list.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Don't get me wrong, I definitely got my money's worth out of The High And The Mighty.

The score was excellent and I forgot to mention that, thank you Robert and Matt for pointing it out.

As I was watching the movie, I kept thinking about how cool it would have been to see it on its original release. This seems like one of those experiences that can't fully be replicated at home - it must have been something to see this early CinemaScope film with its huge cast and that glorious plane set on a big screen at the dawn of the widescreen era. I think if I had seen it then I would have thought it was one of the best things I had ever seen.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
#27 - The Jazz Singer (1927)
Viewed on: February 27th, 2017
Viewing Format: Blu-ray (Warner)

When Debbie Reynolds died in December, I watched Singin' In The Rain - one of my all-time favorites - and kept thinking about how I had never seen The Jazz Singer. Sure, I had seen clips of the musical numbers excerpted, but never the entire movie from start to finish. I got a copy of the Blu-ray for about $11 from Amazon, but hadn't been in quite the right mood for it until now.

The story of The Jazz Singer is a classic one: a boy growing up in an Orthodox Jewish household wants to sing for jazz, but his father, stuck on tradition and the old ways, views his son's passion as an affront to God. After one too many beatings, the boy sets out on his own, and eventually grows into Al Jolson, a talented singer still searching for his big break. When he meets a musical theater dancer (May McAvoy), she hears him singing and gets him the audition that he needs. On the verge of success, his parents reach out to him again, and Jolson must choose between the tradition he was born into and the passion of his dreams.

Though the film features some dated stereotypes, viewed as a product of its time, its an entirely sincere film that's surprisingly entertaining. As the titular lead, Jolson is fantastic, and when the film switches from silent to sound for his musical numbers, its still quite a revelation. And that's actually the thing that struck me most about the movie, how well it flows and tells its story. Despite switching formats throughout, the movie has a certain grace to it, and the decision to tell part of the story with synchronized sound, and others with intertitles, actually seems like a natural way to tell this story. (I tend to like when movies use different formats to tell a story, whether it's something like this, or movies that switch from 2D to 3D at key points, or change aspect ratios during the presentation.)

The Blu-ray from Warner was, simply put, amazing. The picture looked beautiful, and it sounded great. There's occasionally a little bit of hiss and other age related artifacts on the soundtrack, but absolutely nothing that detracts from the presentation. For much of the film's running time, it looks as if a brand new copy has magically been summoned from the lab in 1927. The set includes a wealth of bonus features, including two bonus DVD discs with a plethora of early sound shorts and documentaries on the film and the sound process. There's a lot here, and it'll take me some time to go through it all.

I really enjoyed The Jazz Singer, and found it to be a film that lives up to its reputation. I was expecting something perhaps a little slower, a little creakier around the edges, but was pleasantly surprised to find a film that was so alive and vibrant.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
#28 - Around The World In 80 Days (1956)
Viewed on: February 28th, 2017
Viewing Format: DVD (Warner)

This is close to record setting on unwatched blind buys for me - I picked up this DVD in 2004 when it was a new release. I think I got it because the bonus features included the first DVD release of "A Trip To The Moon" (or maybe the best quality, if not the first), and I was excited for a chance to own that. At the time, I had thought of the movie itself as the bonus feature. I always vaguely intended to watch it at some point, but it was never a high priority for me. It's come up in other HTF about large format films in need of restoration, so I've been curious about it on that front. And with me making a point of watching blind buys this year, and the Academy Awards season still in the air, it seemed as good a time as any to check it out.

The movie's plot is very simple: It's the late 1800s, and David Niven has taken a bet that he can travel around the world in only eighty days. Aided by his traveling companion (Cantinflas), they travel through France, Spain, pick up Indian Princess Shirley MacLaine (!?) while in India, stop in China and Japan, finally entering the U.S. through San Francisco and traveling across the Old West before attempting the return home. A subplot includes a police inspector (Robert Newton) chasing Niven, as he's come to falsely believe that Niven has robbed a large sum from the British bank before leaving. Along the way, Niven and Cantinflas encounter a sizeable number of celebrity cameos. The movie is essentially one big travelogue, but it's a delight to see the very British David Niven wandering in and out of about a dozen different genres and locales.

My feelings on the film itself are a little more mixed. Compared to the other films nominated for Best Picture in that year, it seems a little weak. The movie is pleasant enough, and has some entertaining bits of business, but viewed at home it's not the thrilling entertainment that I suspect it was on its original release. With its huge production values, I can imagine this being an incredible experience in the original Todd-AO, the kind of experience where the size and scope of the production is more of the point than the narrative. In that environment (like seeing an IMAX documentary on one of their largest screens), this must have been an experience to behold. But at home, even on a large screen, the narrative shortcomings are more apparent, and the scenic detours don't hold as much interest as they should. Though I appreciated and enjoyed many of the celebrity cameos, they serve to date the film somewhat; I don't think this movie will play as timeless to most of my generation, nevermind the younger ones.

The DVD from Warner looks good for its time, but the downside is that it looks like any regular widescreen movie from that period. None of the large format majesty carries over into this release, and of course, it's not the Todd-AO 30fps version. However, it is very watchable for what it is. The Dolby Digital 5.1 audio features some nice directionality. English subtitles are available. The movie is split up between two discs (with the break happening at the intermission point), and each disc features a wealth of special features beyond the earlier mentioned Trip To The Moon short. There's a commentary, documentary, newsreels from the time, and a bunch of other goodies. This is the kind of deluxe special edition that Warner was widely commended for making commonplace at the time. There were a lot of Warner blind buys I made and enjoyed around the time that this disc originally came out (2004), and the deluxe nature of their presentations and special features were a big factor in my buying then. It was a great time for collecting, with studios affording big budgets to their disc releases, when many of these movies still had surviving cast and crew members able to reflect on their participation. Even though I didn't love the movie, I love the set that Warner has put together here.

Around The World In 80 Days isn't one of the better Best Picture winners that I've seen, but it was a pleasant enough way to spend three hours. I probably won't revisit this version, but if it ever got the full blown restoration that its fans hope for, I would gladly give that version another look. Because of its outstanding collection of bonus features and the obvious love and care that went into the set's creation, I'm still happy to have this in my collection.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw Around the World as a child in the original roadshow TODD-AO presentation. It was indeed a sight to behold. Later on, watching it in 35mm, my favorite part became the end credits, which told the entire story in cartoon form. Very inventive. I recently viewed the streaming version and found it tough going. An extended travelogue with some amusing tidbits interspersed. A dreadful choice for BP in 1956. My top choices for BP that year are Friendly Persuasion and Giant.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
None of the filmed versions of AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS have done proper justice to Verne's novel, unfortunately. The David Niven version is probably the best crack at it. I haven't seen the film for years, but I remember being fairly "meh" on it as well. Entertaining enough, but more deserving of Best Picture than FRIENDLY PERSUASION, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS or GIANT? Naw.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Josh, when you have a moment, try giving Castle Keep a spin.

I will join the chorus on Castle Keep but issue a warning not to purchase the DVD version that crops the film to 1:33. There is a DVD available that was released that presents the film as it should be seen in 2:35 but it may be going or have gone out of print. There is also I guess an HD version available to watch on-line though I am not sure where.

On the film itself, a very interesting and unique philosophical war film shot in a fantastic setting. It is gorgeously photographed by Henri Decae and the performances in the film are excellent. This is another film that is on my wish list for blu-ray. I thought Twilight Time might be doing it but I am not sure.

Castle Keep.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I see it digitally, it'll be a rental rather than a purchase. But thanks for the heads up on a potential aspect ratio issue.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
29. The Shootist (1976)
Viewed on: February 28th, 2017
Viewing Format: Blu-ray (Pidax - German Import)

I had been wanting to see this one since my Jimmy Stewart western kick last spring, but only got around to ordering it during this current John Wayne binge. It arrived yesterday, and was one of the few blind buys that I've had the chance to watch the night I received it. In just about every way, it was worth the wait.

Directed by Don Siegel and starring Wayne in his last role, The Shootist tells the story of J.B. Books, a legendary gunfighter nearing the end of his life. After opening with a montage of clips of Wayne in previous films (meant to show the skill of success of his character here), Wayne returns to a Nevada town to see his doctor (James Stewart), who confirms a diagnosis of terminal cancer. Taking up lodging at a home run by Lauren Bacall and her son (Ron Howard), Wayne contemplates the end of his life and begins formulating a plan to die with dignity.

The movie is completely charming, lighthearted and fun for much of it, but has moments of real depth and seriousness when called for. I loved the scenes with Wayne and Stewart. Wayne and Bacall have an easy charm in their grudging friendship. I loved appearances from Scatman Crothers and Harry Morgan. And Wayne's scenes mentoring a young Ron Howard are enough to make you wish Wayne had played a similar role in your own life. If I keep mentioning John Wayne, it's because he's outstanding here. He's truly wonderful in this poignant and well told story.

Unfortunately, the Blu-ray from the German label Pidax is a disappointment. The transfer is barely passable; on the plus side, the film element used looks to be in good shape, but on the downside, the authoring is terrible. Everything looks overcompressed, with visible compression artifacts frequently appearing. It looked like an overcompressed cable signal, not a professionally produced Blu-ray. I think it would probably look okay for broadcast or streaming, or on a small screen, but on my projection screen it wasn't a pretty experience. The disc is Zone B locked. Before the movie, a short vintage clip from Wayne introducing the movie played; other than that, I wasn't able to locate additional bonus features on the disc. The disc defaults to German audio but includes English as a secondary option; no subtitles were available.

The Shootist was a really enjoyable film despite being a lackluster disc presentation. I highly recommend the movie, but until or unless someone puts out a better edition, it may be better to stick to a rental. But despite the disc's flaws, the movie's charms shone through, and I'm sure this is one I'll watch again.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
All in all, I found Lonesome Dove to be an enjoyable ride, particularly because of Robert Duvall's fantastic lead performance.

He makes the series great. Speaking of Robert Duvall, I'm still shocked there is no Blu-Ray of 'The Apostle' I think it is his best acting to date...mesmerizing. Even better than 'Tender Mercies' in my opinion.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
He makes the series great. Speaking of Robert Duvall, I'm still shocked there is no Blu-Ray of 'The Apostle' I think it is his best acting to date...mesmerizing. Even better than 'Tender Mercies' in my opinion.
Have you seen TOMORROW?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Josh, I am glad you really enjoyed The Shootist, but it does not surprise me. This is one of my favorite John Wayne films (although there are lots of great Wayne films to choose from). His performance is terrific, and the supporting cast is tremendous. I would love a BD version of the film, but the SD-DVD version isn't too bad.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember enjoying The Apostle, and thinking Duvall was great. I've never seen Tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks