Jordan Jx92s

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ArthurJ, Nov 28, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Disregard my last post on floorstanders. After much reading, consideration, and contemplating. I think a really good idea for me (being a beginner DIY) is to get a full range driver and build a pair of slim floorstanders. I want to do a single driver unit. Without the use of a crossover this eliminates the pain to get one made and the extra money can go into the driver. How does the JORDAN JX92S fair against others? I am willing to pay upwards of $200 for a pair of fullrange drivers. Thanks!

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Sorry but regardless of the hype they certainly aren't really 'fullrange' speakers. They've got no treble, got no bass. They aren't really designed for dynamics of home theater. They work best in a small room, playing chamber music when powered by flea sized S.E.T. amps

3. Jim Griffin

Jim Griffin Extra

ThomasW

"Sorry but regardless of the hype they certainly aren't really 'fullrange' speakers. They've got no treble, got no bass. They aren't really designed for dynamics of home theater. They work best in a small room, playing chamber music when powered by flea sized S.E.T. amps"

Have you ever heard or tried a Jordan JX92S design? Clearly, if you have direct experience with such them, you would know that with the right design the Jordan's can rock. My mini-monitor design won the 2001 Atlanta DIY Loudspeakers event's open division. That was with a 0.25 cu. ft. enclosure that has bass down to 55 Hz and coverage to above 20 kHz. These single driver speakers can satisfy most people short of hard rockers in large rooms. Yes, they have treble, enough bass for many folks (add a subwoofer if you want more) and they work best with more power than flea power amps produce (20-50 watts would be OK.

Jim

[​IMG]

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

ArthurJ,
    I was in a similar situation as you. I chose to use 4 full-range drivers in an enclosure.
    Isa

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Nelson Pass recently published an article about using this driver in a huge rear-loaded horn to get more bass, he said it sounded pretty good otherwise. Still not my kind of speaker...

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/j-low.pdf

7. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

I know of no single driver that's good from 20-20kHz, though there's some expensive co-incident drivers that come close. As 'fullrange' drivers go, it's performance is far better than its price implies, but with a low efficiency, it's strictly for modest SPLs or nearfield listening.

FWIW, when the 'fullrange' moniker was first coined, the -6dB BW criteria was 75-11kHz, so in this context it's an over the top performer, but I wish folks would instead call them wide BW drivers now that materials/manufacturing technology have pushed speaker performance well beyond the limits of human audibility......

Anyway, if you decide you still want to try these, I have a small/simple pipe design that performs well down to a 45hz F3, with enough gain that BSC isn't required if near a wall.

Since this forum isn't interested in 'fullrange' driver designs, best to browse/lurk/ask Qs here: http://f18.parsimony.net/forum31999/

GM

8. enthusiast

enthusiast Auditioning