What's new

Jordan Jx92s (1 Viewer)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Disregard my last post on floorstanders. After much reading, consideration, and contemplating. I think a really good idea for me (being a beginner DIY) is to get a full range driver and build a pair of slim floorstanders. I want to do a single driver unit. Without the use of a crossover this eliminates the pain to get one made and the extra money can go into the driver. How does the JORDAN JX92S fair against others? I am willing to pay upwards of $200 for a pair of fullrange drivers. Thanks!

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Sorry but regardless of the hype they certainly aren't really 'fullrange' speakers. They've got no treble, got no bass. They aren't really designed for dynamics of home theater. They work best in a small room, playing chamber music when powered by flea sized S.E.T. amps

ThomasW

"Sorry but regardless of the hype they certainly aren't really 'fullrange' speakers. They've got no treble, got no bass. They aren't really designed for dynamics of home theater. They work best in a small room, playing chamber music when powered by flea sized S.E.T. amps"

Have you ever heard or tried a Jordan JX92S design? Clearly, if you have direct experience with such them, you would know that with the right design the Jordan's can rock. My mini-monitor design won the 2001 Atlanta DIY Loudspeakers event's open division. That was with a 0.25 cu. ft. enclosure that has bass down to 55 Hz and coverage to above 20 kHz. These single driver speakers can satisfy most people short of hard rockers in large rooms. Yes, they have treble, enough bass for many folks (add a subwoofer if you want more) and they work best with more power than flea power amps produce (20-50 watts would be OK.

Jim

TimForman

Supporting Actor
ArthurJ,
I was in a similar situation as you. I chose to use 4 full-range drivers in an enclosure.
Isa

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
I know of no single driver that's good from 20-20kHz, though there's some expensive co-incident drivers that come close. As 'fullrange' drivers go, it's performance is far better than its price implies, but with a low efficiency, it's strictly for modest SPLs or nearfield listening.

FWIW, when the 'fullrange' moniker was first coined, the -6dB BW criteria was 75-11kHz, so in this context it's an over the top performer, but I wish folks would instead call them wide BW drivers now that materials/manufacturing technology have pushed speaker performance well beyond the limits of human audibility......

Anyway, if you decide you still want to try these, I have a small/simple pipe design that performs well down to a 45hz F3, with enough gain that BSC isn't required if near a wall.

Since this forum isn't interested in 'fullrange' driver designs, best to browse/lurk/ask Qs here: http://f18.parsimony.net/forum31999/

GM

enthusiast

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Warne
Hi, Thomas. With respect - I have had 25 years experience with Jordan drivers and don't agree with any of this. Have you actually heard the beast?

I am not aware of any hype surrounding these units - if anything they are under-hyped. No speakers are really full-range if you want to take it literally, but these do a really good job from 45Hz - 22KHz - sufficient enough for most medium standmounts and plenty enough for Home Theatre, where a subwoofer is usually employed.

There are many 2-ways out there that cannot compete on frequency range or quality. The bass is there a plenty and with good dynamics, quality and the treble nockes the spots off most dome tweeters for imaging and tonality. Dynamics are top rate with fast transients handled easily.

Percussives like fast drums and stell guitars, pianos are incredibly realistic. They are perfect for Home theatre and play very loud due to the efficiency of the design and forward projecting image. Imaging is second to none I have every heard. Their best quality is the smoothness of frequency production throught most of their range and definition of detail. I think this is due to the fact that there is no croosover and the cone flexes a small amount, so behaving as though it changes diameter.

The JX92 is not a cheap unit and some prefer to add a tweeter for more treble dispersion (there is a definate listening area for the best image), but it is a little wonder in most respects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks