What's new

Jonny Quest - The Original Series (2 Viewers)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hey Sam,
Introduce them to Tin Tin as it is very good as well. I have S1-S3 on dvd and they are good and affordable!
You may also want to introduce them to return of the planet of the apes or star trek the animated series as well.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by younger1968 /t/321216/jonny-quest-the-original-series/30#post_3967287
You may also want to introduce them to return of the planet of the apes or star trek the animated series as well.

Oh, I have those, and don't you worry -- the kids will be seeing them plenty!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Sam Favate said:
Oh, I have those, and don't you worry -- the kids will be seeing them plenty!
I Approve! :tu: Get as many of the Hanna-Barbara and Filmation 1960s and 1970s Series you can get your hands on, then show them what REAL Cartoons look like! :cool:
PS Dont forget Looney Tunes as well! :D

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I pulled out jonny quest from my dvd collection and started to watch it again. I can not believe after nearly 50 years the show is still great

I watched the double danger with captions about the show and it was neat reading about the shows approach and how it was a head of its time. The equipment used was pulled from scientific magazine!!

The shows also pulled issues of the day, i.e. nazi war criminals, Red China (Dr Zee), espionage/James Bond plays, exotic locations, i.e. africa, thailand, etc.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
younger1968 said:
I pulled out jonny quest from my dvd collection and started to watch it again. I can not believe after nearly 50 years the show is still great
This show is TIMELESS! Along with The Flintstones and The Jetsons This was the beginning of HB's "Golden Era" which lasted until the early 1970s.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Regulus said:
This show is TIMELESS! Along with The Flintstones and The Jetsons This was the beginning of HB's "Golden Era" which lasted until the early 1970s.
I totally agree with you about golden era for HB. I also like to watch the herculoids as well as it is my other favourite show. I was not born when either the herculoids and/or Jonny Quest first came out. I was able to experience both those shows in the 1970s!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
reading some of the bad reviews from amazon, apparently this show has been edited from its original content ?

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
jimmyjet said:
Reading some of the bad reviews from amazon, apparently this show has been edited from its original content ?
In "Monster In The Monastery", Jonny's line "Uh oh, here comes the Oriental Express" was cut. In "Pursuit of the Poho", Race's lines are cut where he says "heathen monkeys" and "ignorant savages." The strange thing is that the same studio also released Freakazoid! on DVD which had the same lines used as a parody of Jonny Quest in the "Toby Danger" episode.
=
Perhaps these episodes will be released uncensored on DVD through the Warner Archives or on a future Blu-ray release.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
is that all ? i really liked this as a kid. i sure thought it lasted longer than 26 episodes !!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
jimmyjet said:
is that all ? i really liked this as a kid. i sure thought it lasted longer than 26 episodes !!
I guess i do not look at some of the shows as closely as other people as such i do no see the editing. The thing that was neat about Jonny Quest was equipment, especially the plane or boats or guns, etc.

The episodes are neat because they tie into the cold war era and post WWII missing Nazi (nuremberg trials). There are also great episodes on people trying steal treasures!! Jonny Quest was ahead of its time and that is what makes it so good!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Once a year I pulled out Jonny Quest and watch the series over a period of a few nights. I can not believe after 50 years that I have to say it was one of the best cartoon series ever produced!

The episodes are neat due to the time period being 1964 as such there was plots evolving on cold war, nazi war criminals, espionage, stolen treasures, etc. Hats off to HB for creating such a memorable series!

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
How many people here know that Jonny Quest was inspired by Doc Savage (the design of Race Bannon looks a lot like Doc, and the plane Dr. Quest & Co. fly in looks a lot like a modern-day version of the plane Doc & the Fabulous Five fly in)?

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
BobO'Link said:
IMHO avoid anything after the original 1964 series. While your kids might enjoy it, the updates were horrible and produced a boring, poorly animated, stereotypical, and redundant program. Stick with the original.
I love the addition of Race's daughter Jessie to the succeeding series; it's also built up quite the fan art and fans as well:

Jessie Bannon

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Agreed and the same can be said for The Jetsons. Stick with the Original 1962 series and avoid the later psuedo Season 2 and 3 that were produced 20 years later with none of the same qualities of the original.
BobO'Link said:
IMHO avoid anything after the original 1964 series. While your kids might enjoy it, the updates were horrible and produced a boring, poorly animated, stereotypical, and redundant program. Stick with the original.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
This is exciting news! My fingers are crossed that the following issues from the DVD set are corrected:

1. Please give us these episodes as originally aired. Dialogue cuts in 2 episodes on DVD are not acceptable to fans. You can see the character's lips moving but there is no sound during certain portions of "Monster In The Monastery" and "Pursuit of the Poho".

2. Please give us the original opening and closing credits. Different artists were credited on different episodes of the closing credits, and most of the episodes have the wrong closing credits attached. The DVD gives the impression that the same screenwriter wrote every episode, which is not the case. The very end of the opening credits were also snipped on the DVD where there is a fade to black, fade back in with the Jonny Quest logo and the narrator stating "Jonny Quest" with the bridge to the sponsor's bumper.

3. Give us artwork on the packaging that reflects the character design from that time (too generic on the DVD release version).

And how about keeping the original Screen Gems logo at the end of these series? (And if you leave out the modern Cartoon Network credit that is now on the DVDs, that would really be a plus. I love the Cartoon Network but I find that 3 second credit sequence to be one of the most obnoxious and annoying credits ever.)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is exciting news! My fingers are crossed that the following issues from the DVD set are corrected:
Give us artwork on the packaging that reflects the character design from that time (too generic on the DVD release version).

And how about keeping the original Screen Gems logo at the end of these series? (And if you leave out the modern Cartoon Network credit that is now on the DVDs, that would really be a plus. I love the Cartoon Network but I find that 3 second credit sequence to be one of the most obnoxious and annoying credits ever.)

I find that the most aggravating aspect about the set. That wasn't there when I originally watched those episodes (Yes, I am that old ;)). That is more obnoxious than the CBS logo on their classic sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks