What's new

"Jonny Quest" And "The Jetsons" -- Two Personal DVD Reviews (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Are you kids ready for yet another piece of Warner Brothers' censorship idiocy with regard to the Jonny Quest DVD??

Got this info from CJQ.com .........

>> "In the DVD version of "Monster In The Monastery," near the end of the episode as the fake Yeti leader rolls towards Jonny (on his way over the cliff), Jonny's line, "Uh-oh, here comes the Oriental Express," has been removed from the DVD release. It's on the 1990 VHS release, was on the digital prints shown on Cartoon Network in 2000 and was on Boomerang in 2001 (at least).

"Ironically, I noticed the edit while trying to locate some dialog that had been ADDED to the story. Right before the Yeti leader unmasks himself (earlier), Bandit growls and Jonny says, "Quiet, boy," on the DVD. Neither should be there. However, those lines are on the 1990 video release as well, so it wasn't added for the DVD. What's interesting is, the growl and Jonny's line don't seem to be from anywhere else in Monster In The Monastery."

------------------------

Looks like WB is just searching for a reason to censor innocent, innocuous lines of dialogue from this release.

Geesh....You'd think Jonny Quest were "Last Tango In Paris" the way it's being hacked up.

Absolutely unbelievably idiotic!!!!!!

"Here comes the Oriental Express" is as deserving of censorship about as much as "Sim-Sim-Sala-Bim". :rolleyes

:angry: :angry:

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
You know David, I may have to look into how I can re-edit my Jonny Quest DVDs so I can copy the original VHS dialogue back onto the DVD. It's sad when companies drive us to hack their original products, but they have no one to blame but themselves! Censoring these innocent lines is outrageous!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Indeed!!

It'd be nice if there was enough of an outcry from JQ fans that would force WB to go back and correct (and restore) the edits.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if something like that occurred -- because when looking at the great JQ sales numbers re. this DVD, there *are* indeed a plethora of Jonny fans out there! And most of them *should* be as outraged as we are re. these silly deletions of innocent lines. ........

Jonny Quest's DVD ranks #67 at Amazon, after over a week on the market. And ranks #108 currently @ DVD Empire. And #18 @ DDD!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Definitely no loss in quality, because it is digital. The trick would be in finding the correct software that would allow the insertion of the original dialogue. It's sad that we should even have to discuss hacking into a DVD but if it would've been done right from the get go, there would be no need for this. It sure would be alot easier if WB would simply re-insert the edited dialogue in a re-issued DVD, but we know what the chances of that would be.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I have to admit that the incorrect credits bother me more than the deletion of a couple of lines of dialogue for the JQ set.

Has anyone returned their set because of these issues?

Overall they still sound like a worthy purchase.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone purchased this alternate version of the Jonny Quest DVD set? .............

From info gathered at www.classicjonnyquest.com, it seems as though this alternate, individually-cased version is only available in specialty-type outlets and some airport gift shops.

Might be a good choice for those who hate DigiPacks with a passion (esp. given the fact that this particular DigiPack used by WB for the Jonny Quest seasonal set is a wee bit of a tight fit, resulting in a more-than-normal amount of angst and aggravation amongst DVD purchasers). :)

If anyone has this unique separately-boxed version, let us know where you got it.

The fellow at CJQ.com said he bought his at Orlando International Airport for just about the same price as the DigiPack set.

No outer slipcase included on that version, though. Just the four separate cases (each shrink-wrapped), and then taped together.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
So, I finally come to this thread and the first thing I read about (I started on page 3) was censorship issues? I must say that it surprised me more than a little bit.

I haven't purchased either set yet, but I'm hoping to get around to it eventually.

Missing end credits may also be a problem for the up coming top cat release. I don't know how the location of the original end titles was going.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
David VP - Great review!

Jeff - Great additional info and comments!

Carlos - Great catch...

I've just discovered that five (actually 6) episodes are authored incorrectly on the disc - misflagged 3:2 pulldown...

“Robot Spy” (episode 8, disc 2), “The Werewolf of the Timberland” (episode 17, disc 3), “The Devil's Tower” (episode 21, disc 3), “The Quetong Missile Mystery” (episode 22, disc 4), “Monster In A Monastery” (episode 25, disc 4). Also “Double Danger” (episode 9 - “Fun Facts and Trivia” version included on disc 4 - the standalone episode on disc 2 is fine).

Can someone else confirm? I believe that's what you're seeing, Carlos.

Cheers,

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
You haven't noticed, have you? not quite 21, 18 packs are springing up for the price of a 24 pack and then you have those 6 packs that are in smaller cans. This is happening everywhere.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

New lower price for the seasonal sets of Jonny Quest, The Jetsons, as well as The Flintstones. Evidently WB has dropped its MSRP for all these "Golden Collection" sets by more than 38%! From $64.92 to just $39.98. Sales must not have been exactly through the roof, I would surmise. Now would be the time to stock up on these particular animated items, if you don't already have them. :) ...........

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...360174-0464666

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly, DVD Empire doesn't seem to care at all that the new MSRP is $39.98 for THIS . They're gonna to sell it for $51 come hell or high water. :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I didn't buy these before because they were too expensive. Chances are I'll get them in the next couple months now.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I'd assumed that the prices dropped because sales were better than expected on the first ones, thereby justifying a lower price to be offered. But it could be true that sales were less than hoped, and WHV needed to support these sets with fairer prices more in line with today's market. I wonder which is true. Regardless, the new price certainly places these sets on a level more similar to other sets. (Although, I have to say that Rocky and Bullwinkle Season 2 was a steal!)

Mark Y

Screenwriter

The original versions of the "Jetsons" shows did not have any title cards at all. I too feel like they don't belong there, since when I watched the show on NBC on Saturday mornings in the 70s, there was no title card at the beginning. But in this case, it's a rare instance of "adding" something rather than taking something away. I am glad to have the original closing credits back (the 1985 syndicated versions had newly-done generic 1980s closing credits) and as far as not having the right credits on each individual episode, I don't think they even did back in the 70s. Those were probably long lost even then.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Not quite, they didn't remaster each episode, but the quality is very good, it looks more like the Flintstones DVD sets.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thanks Carlos, i can live with that because i have a few seasons of flintstones and they did look ok enough.Looking forward to recieving classic jetsons in the mail next week !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks