What's new

Joni Mitchell & Jaco (1 Viewer)

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

I'm writing to ask if anyone has any additional information or can offer reviews of a concert film by Joni Mitchell called Shadows and Light. Joni's band for the show included legendary bassist Jaco Pastorius and guitarist Pat Metheny.

According to IMDB, it's available from Eagle Vision as a Region 2 PAL DVD. But a friend of mine noticed that someone is selling a copy online as well, and this version is obviously different. It lists the following specs:

Officially released by Panorama Entertainment in Hong Kong. Running time is approx. 75 mins. Dolby Surround 5.1, song index, biography, three previews. The DVD is brand new and sealed. Payable in ALL region (i.e. no region coding)

I'd prefer the Panorama Ent. version, because I'm in the US, but I wanted to see if anyone has seen this version. I'm a little suspicious since it's listed as being from Hong Kong.

I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks, and have a great day.

mattl

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've got the CD, but I didn't know they filmed the performance! "Amelia" into Metheney's guitar solo (and then into "Hejira", I think) is really, really sweet.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I believe this concert was originally released on the RCA Selectavision CED format and was also released on laser disc. I didn't know it was available on DVD. If you are a fan of Joni, this is a must-have.

Musicians:
Joni Mitchell
Jaco Pastorius
Pat Metheny
Lyle Mays
Michael Brecker
Don Alias
The Dixie Hummingbirds

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I'm a little baffled. I poked around the imdb and found the mention that says Eagle Vision released it on dvd in the UK, but I was not aware of that version. None of the UK etailers I use seem to carry it, or even list it as OOP. Could this listing be a mistake? It does seem legit, with a catalog number and all. Why can't I find it for sale?

I am aware that the concert was released officially on dvd in Hong Kong, and in Japan. There was also a VCD released in Hong Kong, so be careful! I haven't dealt with them, but Laser Exchange carries the Hong Kong dvd, the Hong Kong vcd, and the Japanese dvd. I believe cdnow carries the Japanese dvd, but I don't know which version Lasertown carries.

I have the LD - musically, the concert is excellent. The videography is primitive, to be honest, coming from the early days of such things, but who cares. The bummers are that the concert has been edited (some numbers were snipped out, notably "Edith and the Kingpin") and there is some cutting away from the musicians to other footage. Still, this is a must if you like Joni or Jaco.

Not sure if this had a life as an RCA disc at one time; it's certainly possible. There is another Joni Mitchell concert video that followed, maybe a couple of years later, called "Refuge of the Road." It was a laser exclusive for a time, and later, finally given a vhs release. It's long been OOP; another reason I'm glad I didn't ditch my LD player.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
As a HUGE Jaco Pastorius fan I'm very excited to hear that it's available on DVD. I did a google search and saw that Barnes & Nobles was selling for $41, but apparently not any more.

If anyone can provide a link to a US e-tailer that does carry it, I'll be very grateful.

Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Update: Both CDnow and cduniverse list it as being on "backorder". Does anyone actually have it?

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.