Jonathan Demme's "Beloved" - how's the transfer?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Simon Basso, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

My apologies for starting a new thread for this, but a search for "beloved" reveals that everyone here uses the word to describe their favourite childhood films, which I fully understand.

So can anyone venture an opinion on the transfer on this disc, as It's right cheap now, but I still don't fancy wasting my money. The UK R2 is horrible, awful ringing, almost unwatchable, but not for sale anyway, just rental.

Additionally, does anyone know of a special edition? I know this isn't a popular film, but I think it's some of Mr Demme's best work.

Kind wishes

Simon

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

3. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

I disagree it is non-anamorphic and quite crap ass on top of that. I like the film but found the transfer to be quite distracting. I wish that it would be redone.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Non-anamorphic it is but by no stretch of the imagination could it be called "crap ass", whatever that means. It appeared to be a accurate representation of the film I saw in theatres. Of course, it may be possible you saw a better print in your local theatre than I did but I saw it opening week in a state of the art theatre.

5. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to you both, I ordered it anyway, only £6.50 delivered so worth a punt.

Kind wishes

6. MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh Supporting Actor

2005 is approaching and it would be excellent if Ms. Winfrey whom recently grave away flat-screen TVs for her annual Christmas show would consider having Buena Vista Home Entertainment license this title over to Criterion. The dream of course was to have the Kubrickian DVD producer David Prior orchestrate the proceedings although he could do something new and exclusive for the Buena Vista’s eventual high definition optical disc version.

As for possible supplements, I would appreciate an Oprah commentary with author Toni Morrison. Absolutely no EPK material ported over in this edition. No deleted scenes either since I believe the movie in its completed form deserves one’s full attention. The movie should be a brand new high definition anamorphic transfer approved by Oprah and the 172m-feature split over two discs. For those wondering why I have not included Jonathan Demme’s input in my pipe dream specs is because I feel Jonathan was a director for hire. Oprah wanted an acclaimed filmmaker to helm her personal project.

§ Winfrey and Morrison scene-specific commentary
    § Isolated Score
    § TV Spots
    § The Oprah Winfrey Show: Beloved episode
    § All-new Oprah approved high-def anamorphic (1.85:1) transfer
    § Art Gallery: Paintings & Images inspired by the film
    § DTS 6.1 and Dolby 5.1 audio

7. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Let's get this straight - you dont' want the director involved, you don't want any deleted scenes on the disc, and you want the film split across two discs?

That's not my idea of a Special Edition!

8. MarcusUdeh

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

n/m

10. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Marcus, it's nice to see you rally behind your cause, but aren't you being a bit too specific? [​IMG]
    If I wanted to see an SE of a movie, I'd simply list stuff like anamorphic, commentary, DTS, deleted scenes and documentaries. I wouldn't go as far as to indicate who the film company should license the title to, how many discs it should be split across, who should and who shouldn't participate in the disc, etc. It's nice to dream, but for all that to fall into place is beyond unrealistic. [​IMG]

11. MarcusUdeh

RE: Ray
    I notice that currently studios appeal to have a basic pattern of what constitutes a title as a special edition. The “basic” audio commentary, trailers and TV spots, a new anamorphic transfer, DTS or 5.1Dolby re-mixed audio, and the worst offender of all the EPK featurette. Within the next fifteen years, almost ever movie ever released will have a deluxe edition that follows this structure. The best special edition releases have almost a non-textbook approach. I want a personal sense of touch on a supplement sprinkled release. If you do a search for “Apt Pupil”, you will know that I didn’t want deleted scenes on that title either, for me deleted material is better suited for cult and genre pictures (i.e. Gremlins 2, Matilda, Showgirls).

About Criterion: I think all would agree this particular title falls under their motto of preserving classic and contemporary films of high artistic merit.

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I actually rented the movie a few months ago with your Beloved cause in mind. I didn't know about the book so let's just say it was very different from what I expected. Overall, I thought it was a good movie but I felt it worked best when it wasn't focused on the supernatural stuff. [​IMG]

13. MarcusUdeh