What's new

HBO Max Jon Snow Spinoff Series (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A Jon Snow series following him after the events of Game Of Thrones is in development for HBO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While I will watch the others which are set further back in history, this one is definitely of more interest to me. By going forward in time, the storytelling possibilities are wide open.
Agreed, I'm more interested in events going forward.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I will, of course, watch this, but it will upset the myth I had of Westeros finding some sort of harmony after the events of GoT.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I will, of course, watch this, but it will upset the myth I had of Westeros finding some sort of harmony after the events of GoT.

But that could be part of the premise!

Westeros is now in “harmony”. But as we know and have learnt from GoT, power corrupts. Maybe it starts slowly… there is peace… but then there are some seeds of distrust, friction, tensions, greed, lust for power, etc…

Jon Snow is the main character, but there will be new characters, new threats… and the return of familiar characters… Tyrion, Arya, etc.

Fascinating and plenty of potential if done right.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Any reason why? (Maybe you’re being sarcastic! 😎)
No I'm not kidding. Think about it. For GOT many books were written over many years. They spent many years to carefuly plan and write stories that span several people, houses, places. A huge vast story. Now they are going to take out one character with no book or story to support. No bigger story. They have to make it all up themselves. Also not to mention that the finale wasn't that good and what Jon Snow did wasn't really great. Hard to be excited for what he does next.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
No I'm not kidding. Think about it. For GOT many books were written over many years. They spent many years to carefuly plan and write stories that span several people, houses, places. A huge vast story. Now they are going to take out one character with no book or story to support. No bigger story. They have to make it all up themselves. Also not to mention that the finale wasn't that good and what Jon Snow did wasn't really great. Hard to be excited for what he does next.

Fair enough. But on the other hand, the showrunners for that finale (and, indeed, the entirety of the series) are on to something else. Whether this spin-off will be bad or not will depend on who its showrunners and writers will be. For me, the best of the writers on Game of Thrones was Bryan Cogman (his episodes were even better than the ones that GRRM himself wrote). If Cogman is involved in this, it has a really good chance of not sucking.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Adapting an already existing material is different than world building and creating new stuff. We will see.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Adapting an already existing material is different than world building and creating new stuff. We will see.

Yes, it is, but one isn't inherently better or worse than the other. It depends on the people handling the material. That's why some adaptations of Stephen King novels really suck while others don't, why some remakes suck and others don't, and why some sequels suck and others don't.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. But on the other hand, the showrunners for that finale (and, indeed, the entirety of the series) are on to something else. Whether this spin-off will be bad or not will depend on who its showrunners and writers will be. For me, the best of the writers on Game of Thrones was Bryan Cogman (his episodes were even better than the ones that GRRM himself wrote). If Cogman is involved in this, it has a really good chance of not sucking.

Agreed.

On the one hand, if one is looking for material to support the show, there is none (GRRM hasn't even finished A Song of Ice and Fire!). But on the other, as I've argued in other threads (Star Wars-related, in particular), the world is wide open. If the showrunner(s) and writers are creative enough, with a strong, cohesive vision, there's no reason why it can't succeed. It may not have the particular tone, cadence or depth that GRRM brought, but it can set its own tone, its own cadence, and be its own thing.

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
I agree but I'm way less forgiving than you - I believe they ran out of books by season five and then we witnessed that... well, that. I was still able to somewhat enjoy it but I never caught the GOT fever. I actually binged the whole thing just so I could caught the live series finale and was surprised by how fans had quieted down by then already.

I'm not one to sh!t on things that may be of extreme value to others. It was grand and full of fabulous stuff and I'm generally into that type of stuff with castles, dragons, etc. But I never understood what people found so appealing about it. The acting was amazing though. I always looked forward to seeing those actors do their magic. Perhaps I'd have had a better time reading the books?

But I was never into watching spinoffs as well. I watched Buffy and tried watching Angel but stopped by season 3. I have bravely resisted giving up on The Walking Dead entirely and that is a good example of an "expanded universe" that I know exists but have never seen a single episode from the many spinoffs of said franchise.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Martin confirmed Clarke’s account: “Yes, it was Kit Harington who brought the idea to us. I cannot tell you the names of the writers/showrunners, since that has not been cleared for release yet … but Kit brought them in too, his own team, and they are terrific.”

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Harington must not be getting many offers if he has to create his own job in a GOT spinoff.
I don't know about that. He's got his Marvel gig, which is set to expand in the next couple of years. But it was probably seeing the likes of Ewan McGregor and Patrick Stewart get executive producer credits for their shows that inspired him to say "Hey, I could do this too, and make the show what I want it to be."

No guarantee it will see production, of course. HBO spent a few million on a GoT spinoff pilot (with Naomi Watts) that it decided to forget about.

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
I don't know about that. He's got his Marvel gig, which is set to expand in the next couple of years. But it was probably seeing the likes of Ewan McGregor and Patrick Stewart get executive producer credits for their shows that inspired him to say "Hey, I could do this too, and make the show what I want it to be."

No guarantee it will see production, of course. HBO spent a few million on a GoT spinoff pilot (with Naomi Watts) that it decided to forget about.
According to an insider, executive producer credit for an actor is just a way to veil a huge pay for his role as an actor, because studios couldn't possibly justify a huge salary for anyone who's not a megastar as that would create problems for them to negotiate with other actors who may say "but you paid such and such 20M for that movie, so I want the same deal." Those actors generally don't do any "executive producing" besides perhaps giving their opinions on little details for costume and stuff.

I'm not in the business of being mean but Malcom R is quite correct as, even with a Marvel gig, Kit Harrington is rarely talked about these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks