What's new

Disney+ The Mandalorian (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The third episode, comprising the second half of the story from ep 2, was better than the ep 2. I found the "humour" of short and green eating her eggs notably unfunny, especially with knowledge that each slurp he was taking was bringing her species closer to extinction.

Wasn't it just their line, not actually species?

Still can be a touchy subject of course, but what good sci-fi doesn't eventually broach touchy subject matters anyway...

_Man_

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wasn't it just their line, not actually species?

Still can be a touchy subject of course, but what good sci-fi doesn't eventually broach touchy subject matters anyway...

_Man_
Maybe I got it wrong. I'll have re-watch to see if I mistook that. Either way, I still didn't find it funny because his actions could have resulted in an extinction. I guess they were trying to draw humour from kids putting things into their mouths that they shouldn't. I'm not kid orientated so it wasn't funny to me. It only reinforced what a PITA he is for the Mandalorian.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Privately he’s got to take it off, otherwise I don’t want to see what’s under the mask.

Amazon.com: Grey Fake Dwarf Beard Gray ZZ Beard Gnome Beard Prospector Hillbilly  Beard: Clothing

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jon-Favreau-and-Dave-Filoni-1280x720.jpg

If you follow the Star Wars news a little, all the fans know who Dave Filoni is. I don't know how someone can know and follow the references in the show and not knowing him. Knowing his name is one thing, but recognizing him in a small role is something else.

I bet 99.9999999% of people here know who he is with the countless discussions about if he should direct a movie, takeover Lucasfilm and other stuff.
IMO, you’re wrong as most viewers of this series are not following it closely enough to know Filoni by sight. They might know his name, but knowing what he looks like while playing a small role is another matter.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
IMO, you’re wrong as most viewers of this series are not following it closely enough to know Filoni by sight. They might know his name, but knowing what he looks like while playing a small role is another matter.

Yep. I know his name and his significance to this era of Star Wars, but I have no clue what he looks like.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I haven’t watched the animated series so I didn’t know that. When the differences were discussed in the show I got fundamentalist vs progressive vibes. I presume the proscription against taking the helmet off is only in public. Privately he’s got to take it off, otherwise I don’t want to see what’s under the mask.
Well, you did already see what he looks like under the mask last season.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Jon-Favreau-and-Dave-Filoni-1280x720.jpg

If you follow the Star Wars news a little, all the fans know who Dave Filoni is. I don't know how someone can know and follow the references in the show and not knowing him.

I bet 99.9999999% of people here know who he is with the countless discussions about if he should direct a movie, takeover Lucasfilm and other stuff.
I watch the movies (and the Mandalorian) and used to read some of the books. I’m one of the people who only care about the end product and don’t particularly care how the sausage is made. I still have no idea who this Filoni guy is or why him being in an episode is such a big deal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I knew I should have watched my "Clone Wars" Blu-rays. Anyhow, for those interested below is a link to some information about the characters just introduced in this last episode along with an upcoming character that was mentioned at the end of the episode.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I knew I should have watched my "Clone Wars" Blu-rays. Anyhow, for those interested below is a link to some information about the characters just introduced in this last episode along with an upcoming character that was mentioned at the end of the episode.

If you decide to take the plunge into Clone Wars, I suggest watching in the "official" chronological viewing order (I say "official" because despite the order has been blessed, so-to-speak, by being included on the official Star Wars website).

The show is generally excellent--especially after it finds its legs partway through the first season. I found the re-watch experience heightened by watching the episodes in chronological order.

There are a handful of episodes that I consider almost "must watch" for those interested in the lore of the Force, Jedi, Sith, etc. The show found clever (and sometimes beautiful) ways to explain things without simply dumping thousands of years of exposition/history on the viewer.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you decide to take the plunge into Clone Wars, I suggest watching in the "official" chronological viewing order (I say "official" because despite the order has been blessed, so-to-speak, by being included on the official Star Wars website).

The show is generally excellent--especially after it finds its legs partway through the first season. I found the re-watch experience heightened by watching the episodes in chronological order.

There are a handful of episodes that I consider almost "must watch" for those interested in the lore of the Force, Jedi, Sith, etc. The show found clever (and sometimes beautiful) ways to explain things without simply dumping thousands of years of exposition/history on the viewer.
The Clone Wars was fantastic overall. Even people who didn't like the prequels frequently enjoy that series. The same goes for Star Wars: Rebels which is smaller in scope than The Clone Wars but since the focus is on one group of characters, you get to love them over the course of the series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
When we watched the episode, there was a lot of yelling when they were on the trawler and the Quarren shoved Baby Yoda into the pit with the monster and then they closed the gate over the Mandalorian. And I said, "Oh my god, he's going to kill all of them!"

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I got it wrong. I'll have re-watch to see if I mistook that. Either way, I still didn't find it funny because his actions could have resulted in an extinction. I guess they were trying to draw humour from kids putting things into their mouths that they shouldn't. I'm not kid orientated so it wasn't funny to me. It only reinforced what a PITA he is for the Mandalorian.

forgive me if I’m late to the party on this, but aren’t we talking about a being that in terms of development is barely past being an infant and people are outraged it ate something it wasn’t supposed to

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
forgive me if I’m late to the party on this, but aren’t we talking about a being that in terms of development is barely past being an infant and people are outraged it ate something it wasn’t supposed to

He was told repeatedly in the story not to do it and kept doing it anyway. Deliberately disobeying orders to stop shows willfulness. I just didn't find it funny or appropriate behavior, especially after he was told at least twice to stop consuming her eggs. Other people's mileage varied as to his humorous behavior which is fine since it is only a story; however, in my case, I found myself thinking about that kind of behavior occurring in the real world so I just found it less funny and more annoying.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
He was told repeatedly in the story not to do it and kept doing it anyway. Deliberately disobeying orders to stop shows willfulness. I just didn't find it funny or appropriate behavior, especially after he was told at least twice to stop consuming her eggs. Other people's mileage varied as to his humorous behavior which is fine since it is only a story; however, in my case, I found myself thinking about that kind of behavior occurring in the real world so I just found it less funny and more annoying.
You don’t have kids, do you?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ

I'll second the recommendation for Clone Wars (ignore the failed first-experiment Genndy Tartakovsky oddity, and head straight for the pilot movie which sets up the characters), and Filoni, for pretty much keeping fans' own interest in SW canon alive and serious during the idiocy of the prequels and the meddling of the Disney trilogy.
It's basically GOOD fan-fiction that takes the originals seriously, only authorized. No matter how bad the others got, fans pointed to Clone Wars as "This is how to do it right!" Rebels...not so much.

Post Edited by Moderator due to linked political reference

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I agree with the recommendation for Dave Filoni's Clone Wars series, but by all means DO check out Genndy Tartakovsky's micro-series, which runs about 2 hours in total. My kids and I watched it as a stand-alone "movie" during our 12-day (now 13) Star Wars marathon in the summer of 2019. It is outstanding.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Even though Lucasfilm later decanonized it, it does fit very neatly between Episodes II and III and brings me right back to that time where I had just come out of the one film and was so excited for the next. I don’t revisit it every time I watch the films but it’s in rotation.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks