What's new

Disney+ The Mandalorian (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm glad they finally answered why he doesn't take off his helmet while Mandalorians throughout The Clone Wars and Rebels did.
I thought that was established in season one that Mandalorians don’t take their helmets off. Every time someone has taken a helmet off, Mando assumes they are not true Mandalorians. Now we discover there are ones who do.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Forgot to make a comment about last week's episode. Very disliked Dave Filoni's appearance. Do not want to see him in any acting roles. They have to always cast professional actors and completely forget to use their families, nieces, etc for acting roles. These are not your personal home videos. It completely takes you out of the story.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Forgot to make a comment about last week's episode. Very disliked Dave Filoni's appearance. Do not want to see him in any acting roles. They have to always cast professional actors and completely forget to use their families, nieces, etc for acting roles. These are not your personal home videos. It completely takes you out of the story.
Hell, I don't even know what Filoni looks like and I'm sure most people that watched last week's episode didn't know him either.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
In the EU books that were canon but are no longer canon, Boba Fett never removed his helmet. Of course, I don’t think Boba was ever established as a true Mandalorian, he was only assumed to be until the prequel movies decided he wasn’t. Perhaps Jon is bringing some of the non-canon stuff back to the table and fleshing out a group of Mandalorians who never remove their helmets, just like Boba in the now non-canon books.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I actually had to Google Dave Filoni just to see who he is. I had never heard of him.
If it was Jon Favreau, I can see how he would be recognized. However, what I don't get is when they have some other well known actor doing guest appearances, their presence don't take people out of the story. I don't get it?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I thought this week’s episode was 100% better than last week. The bit with the
cargo control area on the Imperial ship
was hilarious.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If it was Jon Favreau, I can see how he would be recognized. However, what I don't get is when they have some other well known actor doing guest appearances, their presence don't take people out of the story. I don't get it?
Exactly. When I saw Titus Welliver or Timothy Olyphant or Giancarlo Esposito or Carl Weathers or Werner Herzog, it's the same as Filoni. I know who they are in real life but personally, it doesn't suddenly wreck the episode. I look at it as the 'curse' of knowing alot of actors and behind the scenes people.

Also, Jon Favreau played Pre Vizsla in The Clone Wars so he can't appear on The Mandalorian. :) (Yes, I know that was just a voice so he could play a live action character too.)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jon-Favreau-and-Dave-Filoni-1280x720.jpg

If you follow the Star Wars news a little, all the fans know who Dave Filoni is. I don't know how someone can know and follow the references in the show and not knowing him.

I bet 99.9999999% of people here know who he is with the countless discussions about if he should direct a movie, takeover Lucasfilm and other stuff.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Like many, I've really enjoyed this show. I'm re-watching the first two episodes of this season and started wondering if we'd have been better served if Mando had not revisited Tatooine since the Obi-Wan series is likely to be set on that planet the entire time. For instance, would it have been cooler to see Obi-Wan take on the Krayt dragon?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I thought that was established in season one that Mandalorians don’t take their helmets off. Every time someone has taken a helmet off, Mando assumes they are not true Mandalorians. Now we discover there are ones who do.

Yes, but in The Clone Wars and Rebels shows, there are a lot of episodes featuring Mandalorians, and they take their helmets off all the time. So the idea established by this show that they never do didn't really make sense.

An explanation that the sect that Mando was raised in was a bit extremist in that regards was necessary and I'm glad we got it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but in The Clone Wars and Rebels shows, there are a lot of episodes featuring Mandalorians, and they take their helmets off all the time. So the idea established by this show that they never do didn't really make sense.

An explanation that the sect that Mando was raised in was a bit extremist in that regards was necessary and I'm glad we got it.
Yeah and it's a retcon but it's certainly reasonable to think that the Mandalorians' beliefs could be like our world's major religions where different sects of each religion have varying POVs.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I haven’t watched the animated series so I didn’t know that. When the differences were discussed in the show I got fundamentalist vs progressive vibes. I presume the proscription against taking the helmet off is only in public. Privately he’s got to take it off, otherwise I don’t want to see what’s under the mask.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I haven’t watched the animated series so I didn’t know that. When the differences were discussed in the show I got fundamentalist vs progressive vibes. I presume the proscription against taking the helmet off is only in public. Privately he’s got to take it off, otherwise I don’t want to see what’s under the mask.

Their creed dictates they can't have it off visibly to any (sentiment?) living being, apparently including each other. That was clarified some more in the season finale reveal of S1.

_Man_

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The third episode, comprising the second half of the story from ep 2, was better than the ep 2. I found the "humour" of short and green eating her eggs notably unfunny, especially with knowledge that each slurp he was taking was bringing her species closer to extinction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks