What's new

Disney+ The Mandalorian (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Enjoyed the show, loved the dragon but I’ve got questions. Are commenters here saying Olyphant (sp) becomes Boba Fett? My wife and I were both under the impression The Mandalorian takes place before any of the movies. How else do we get a baby Yoda otherwise? Is Baby Yoda not Yoda?
We call him "Baby Yoda" because it's cooler than "The Child" and he's from the same species as Yoda.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The premiere was terrific; really really great. I love the episodic nature of the show, and how this was an old western movie in every way. Olyphant was great - I hope we see him again. And seeing Fett at the end was very cool.

I love how the show is using the films' mythology and telling stories with it. We get to see the culture of the Sand People and the little outskirt towns like the one in this episode. They used a krayt dragon, for crying out loud - something that was only a sound and a skeleton in the first film. And they actually worked in the destruction of the second Death Star and its after-effects.

I'm not one to dismiss the sequel trilogy (I mostly liked it), but what they are doing on this show is really creating a sequel to the original trilogy.

BTW, if I have one complaint about this show - this episode or last season - it's that the dark scenes are too dark, and it's hard to see anything.

Last edited:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Enjoyed the show, loved the dragon but I’ve got questions. Are commenters here saying Olyphant (sp) becomes Boba Fett? My wife and I were both under the impression The Mandalorian takes place before any of the movies. How else do we get a baby Yoda otherwise? Is Baby Yoda not Yoda?

Yoda was some 900 years old during the OT so it’s clearly not literally Yoda, just a member of the same species, or perhaps even a clone of Yoda.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I love how the show is using the films' mythology and telling stories with it. We get to see the culture of the Sand People and the little outskirt towns like the one in this episode. They used a krayt dragon, for crying out loud - something that was only a sound and a skeleton in the first film.
Also, for fans of KOTOR, this was extremely cool to see:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also, for fans of KOTOR, this was extremely cool to see:

As a non-gamer, I have to admit that is the rare reference that went past me. I figured they just dreamed up a new Mos name so they didn't have to worry about having continuity with Mos Eisley or Mos Espa.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Glad to see R5 survived his bad motivator incident.

Looked like the Cobb Vanth's speeder bike was made out of one of Anakin's old pod racer engines too. Or at least the same model...
I was SUPER proud of myself to catch both of those visual Easter eggs! My wife has been getting more and more enthusiastic with Star Wars over the last 5 years, and when I pointed out my geek-find about Anakin’s pod engine, she actually did a double take and seemed to legitimately recognize and exclaimed, “Oh yeah! That totally is!” :wub: I have the best wife!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was SUPER proud of myself to catch both of those visual Easter eggs! My wife has been getting more and more enthusiastic with Star Wars over the last 5 years, and when I pointed out my geek-find about Anakin’s pod engine, she actually did a double take and seemed to legitimately recognize and exclaimed, “Oh yeah! That totally is!” :wub: I have the best wife!
I didn't notice it but apparently Peli Motto (Amy Sedaris) is working on a pod that is or, at least, looks like Sebulba's from The Phantom Menace too.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I think I was farming Krayt dragon pearls in Star Wars Galaxies (the failed MMO) before KOTOR. This episode gave me flashbacks to Krayt dragon hunting with my guild (actually I was the mayor/chef and didn't usually go on the hunts)!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Olyphant's character is unrelated to Boba Fett other than that he wore his old armor. Boba Fett is the old guy in the cave that you see at the very end of the episode. Since the prequels established that Boba Fett was a clone of his 'father', he's played by the same actor who played Jango Fett and the clones in the prequels.

The Mandalorian takes place about five years after Return Of The Jedi.

Baby Yoda is another character that is the same species as Yoda but other than that, there's no known connection between the two.
So it’s definite that Boba Fett survived the sarlac?

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
It sounds like the dragon ate the sarlac before Boba was anywhere close to the end of the 1000 year digestive cycle :D
Not to go all Tremors on this topic, but perhaps the vibration of the explosion of Jabba’s barge attracted the dragon thing and Boba Fett got freed not long after Luke and co. escaped.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I said that too, to my wife.
Otherwise a super fun episode.

I guess we saw in this episode how Fett probably escaped the Sarlac Pit Creature.

So no one else thinks Fett escaped the Sarlac exactly they same way The Mandolirian escapes the dragon in the third ep?

Off screen.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
So no one else thinks Fett escaped the Sarlac exactly they same way The Mandolirian escapes the dragon in the third ep?

Off screen.

That's what I assume. He had armor and a jet pack, I don't think his survival is out of the question. But then he somehow lost the armor. It'll be interesting to learn more.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
That's what I assume. He had armor and a jet pack, I don't think his survival is out of the question. But then he somehow lost the armor. It'll be interesting to learn more.
The Star Wars EU story A Barve Like That explains how Boba escapes. First, the story was considered canon, then Disney said it wasn’t canon, but now it looks like it may possibly be canon again.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I still don’t like the title music and the Gamorreans in this episode looked like guys in green spandex wearing rubber masks, not Gamorreans as we know them from Return of the Jedi. Other than that, this episode was an excellent start to what is sure to be a fantastic 2nd season.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I still don’t like the title music and the Gamorreans in this episode looked like guys in green spandex wearing rubber masks, not Gamorreans as we know them from Return of the Jedi. Other than that, this episode was an excellent start to what is sure to be a fantastic 2nd season.

You’re the first person I’ve heard say he doesn’t like the title music. To each his own, of course, but I love the way it evokes Ennio Morricone’s music from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. This episode had more than a little in common with that film and its predecessors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks