1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Jon Favreau's The Mandalorian on Disney+

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jake Lipson, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Message #461 of 635 Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    They have to release a soundtrack album for this show. The music is great. When Mando and the kid are riding across the desert on their speeder bikes, the music is just terrific.

Filoni and Favreau know exactly what the fans want and they're great at giving it to them (even with a twist, like the droids in charge of the bar). Those guys are the future of Star Wars.

BTW I see a lot of speculation - from even the Hollywood Reporter- that the character at the end is
    Boba Fett, mostly because of the spurs
    but I think it is almost certainly
    Carl Weathers’ character.

2. Message #462 of 635 Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Well, I never said it wasn't STAR WARS. SW itself was a sci-fi reworking of Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress".

"The Mandalorian" is a STAR WARS series which is a reworked version of "Lone Wolf and Cub".

It doesn't make it bad, but they could at least give some credit for influence to the writer/artist they are basically copying. The LW&C influences in "The Mandalorian" are even more apparent than the THF influences on the original SW.

Edit: I should have said artist and writer, not artist/writer. Kazuo Koike was the writer of LW&C while the art was done by Goseki Kojima.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Exactly! Five episodes in and people expect perfection to their thought process on what and who the series should pay tribute to. IMO, I think the creative minds behind this series are doing a great job despite such criticism.

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Expect perfection? Hardly. I expect them to give credit where credit is due. And credit is due to Koike and Kojima because "The Mandalorian" is an obvious riff of "Lone Wolf and Cub".

The only thing missing is the weaponized "Baby Cart" and it remains to be seen if that does not appear eventually.

Also, Baby ______s silent witness to the Mandalorian's carnage is a direct reference to Daigoro's silent witness of the carnage perpetrated by his father Itto. There is no doubt that the series draws on and is heavily influenced by LW&C, right down to the wandering "Ronin" character.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    They don't have to give credit to anybody except to the Star Wars universe which is what most of us want and are seeing with this series.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

That is your opinion just as much as it is mine that they should be crediting the authors of the material that they are obviously borrowing from. It is called professional courtesy.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Of course it's your opinion and I'm telling you that I disagree with it. How do you want them to credit authors of the material that you're saying their borrowing from?

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Wow. How about a post credit note saying, " Dedicated to Kozuo Koike and Goseki Kojima without whose masterwork this series would not exist"?

Because without the material it is riffing from, it wouldn't exist.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    So that's your main problem with this series?

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I don't have a problem per se. I can't force them to give some credit where it is due; however, if they had any professional courtesy then they would do the right thing and acknowledge the original authors of the work who they obviously are borrowing from.

Even Lucas gave credit to Kurosawa's influence upon the original STAR WARS and the influence of LW&C on "The Mandalorian" is an order of magnitude or greater than "The Hidden Fortress" had upon STAR WARS: A New Hope.

11. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    Loved the fifth episode! It had a delightful amount of ‘member berries, but still had interesting story and characters. (Amy Sederis!) I’m just so grateful that we are getting this series and that there’s more on the way!

As for that final shot
    I’m guessing Boba Fett. I have been heavily suspecting he’d be showing up in this series, and if this were the Carl Weathers character, I don’t see why they would have concealed the identity, since I believe we saw that he survived at the end of the third episode. It would be strange to set up a week’s mystery just to have it turn out to be him.

12. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Supporting Actor

Philip Verdieck
    and geysering quantities of pink blood

Edwin-S likes this.
  13. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck
    But I think the "Its ripping off LW&C trope" is more than a bit overboard. Baby Yoda is silent not because of the kid in LW&C, but because he can't communicate.

Its ludicrous when you take every resemblance as emulation or copying when there could be other reasons. If you didn't have to make up something to be affronted by, I wonder what you would do with your time?

Too bad they left the "babycart" in the dumpster on Nevarro. If he had only taken it too, then he could have put some blasters in it them when needed, Baby Yoda could activate them.

FFS.

14. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    It was pretty fan-servicey, all in all, but it was nice to see all of those familiar Tatooine denizens & locations.

This makes two episodes in a row though that were pretty much stand alone stories and did little to advance the overall series. Mando & child are in exactly the same position they were at the end of the third episode.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
  17. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I think someone who is actually offended by my opinion should not be accusing me of being offended.

Also, I never said that they ripped off LW&C. I said they were heavily influenced by it. Considering that.you refer to it as the "LW&C trope" only shows where it originated from and proves my original point.

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Yeah, just because every single frame doesn't have at one pixel that's absolute black and one pixel that's absolute white doesn't mean it's "fake" HDR. "The Mandalorian" looks exactly like the show's creators want it to look. I don't need it to be very contrast-y to be content with that. And even though the blacks don't tend to be deep blacks and the whites don't tend to be deep whites, the color palette is so much richer than if it weren't HDR.

Thanks for sharing that. It was something I'd wondered about, given the constraints of the character. In theory, Pascal could go shoot a movie and production could continue unimpeded, since all of the dialogue will be recorded in ADR at a later date anyway.

It would be very interesting to know what percentage of time Pascal is in the suit, and what percentage of time Wayne or one of the other doubles is in the suit.

19. Brian L

Brian L Producer

Brendan is like a modern day David Prowse.

Philip Verdieck likes this.
  20. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck
    You are obviously offended, because they haven't mentioned it in the credits as an inspiration, which you mentioned repeated times.