What's new

Disney+ The Mandalorian (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Friday is my favorite day for streaming. Apple TV+ drops new episodes of THE MORNING SHOW and SERVANT. And of course, Disney+ drops a new episode of Mandalorian.

SPOILERS AHEAD...

This was another really good episode and I am finally more at ease with this entire series in general after a questionable start.

The great part of this episode is it played very well on STAR WARS EPISODE FOUR, the film that started it all.

A return to Tatooine and Moss Eisley spaceport. You can easily see the hangar where the Millenium Falcon once stood but more importantly, a visit to the Catina where I believe the nervous Bounty Hunter was sitting in Han Solo's seat.

Of course, we got to see Tusken Raiders as well. Other mentions were the dune sea and two suns coming up in the distance.

So, lots of homage to the original Star Wars film here.

The episode played out very well. The ending shot, I am guessing, is that the individual who walked up to the bounty kill was Carl Weathers.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Episode V - The Gunslinger

Spoiler alert:

“We DO serve their kind in here!”

It is nice that droids are being given equal rights in the same cantina from which R2 and 3PO were ejected just a few years earlier in A New Hope. It must be one of the changes heralded by the fall of the Empire.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Friday is my favorite day for streaming. Apple TV+ drops new episodes of THE MORNING SHOW and SERVANT. And of course, Disney+ drops a new episode of Mandalorian.

SPOILERS AHEAD...

This was another really good episode and I am finally more at ease with this entire series in general after a questionable start.

The great part of this episode is it played very well on STAR WARS EPISODE FOUR, the film that started it all.

A return to Tatooine and Moss Eisley spaceport. You can easily see the hangar where the Millenium Falcon once stood but more importantly, a visit to the Catina where I believe the nervous Bounty Hunter was sitting in Han Solo's seat.

Of course, we got to see Tusken Raiders as well. Other mentions were the dune sea and two suns coming up in the distance.

So, lots of homage to the original Star Wars film here.

The episode played out very well. The ending shot, I am guessing, is that the individual who walked up to the bounty kill was Carl Weathers.
Don’t forget Beggars Canyon.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Boy, this was great. What Star Wars wasn't giddy with the locations we saw this week?

And it pays tribute to the Gregory Peck movie The Gunslinger (1950), about a young kid trying to make a name for himself. The movie was immortalized in the Bob Dylan song "Brownsville Girl," co-written with Sam Shepard. Too many similarities for it to be a coincidence.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Boy, this was great. What Star Wars wasn't giddy with the locations we saw this week?

And it pays tribute to the Gregory Peck movie The Gunslinger (1950), about a young kid trying to make a name for himself. The movie was immortalized in the Bob Dylan song "Brownsville Girl," co-written with Sam Shepard. Too many similarities for it to be a coincidence.
The movie is "The Gunfighter". I don't see many similarities between that movie and this episode.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrific episode. May be my favorite yet!

Loved all the nods to ANH. Loved AMY Sedaris’ character. And the young bounty hunter was a well written character with an arc even!

Love this show!!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wonder how the theatrical Star Wars films would play out as 30 minute or so episodes. Might be worth an experiment. :)

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Just wanted to point out this episode was written and directed by Dave Filoni. He's the guy that should be working with anyone that is making anything Star Wars. His episode did not disappoint and really builds excitement for the Obi-Wan series which should be visiting these locations.

Add Mos Espa as a reference in this episode as well. That's where we meet Anakin in The Phantom Menace.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The movie is "The Gunfighter". I don't see many similarities between that movie and this episode.

Yes, the Gunfighter, thank you. I thought it was similar in that the new bounty hunter was trying to make a name for himself and came up against the more experienced hunters.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The opening sequence resolved with a bit of a nod to Top Gun. Mando should have said to the kid “I’ll hit the brakes....he’ll fly right by”.

Great episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was both the highlight of the episode, and my biggest problem with the episode. Up until now, the series has done a good job of being its own animal. This was the first episode that felt Saga-adjacent, like the anthology movies.

If it was Coruscant or some place major, I probably wouldn't have had an issue with it. But for a remote outpost on a backwater planet, it's funny how just about everybody of any importance passes through Mos Eisley at some point or another.

I was a bit confused by that. I wasn't sure if it was a flashback to earlier in the episode with the Mandalorian, filling in a blank, or a new character.

Loved AMY Sedaris’ character.
That's who that was!

The character felt tonally off to me at the beginning of the episode, but she won me over by the end.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not a bad episode, but the 30 minute format is becoming a constraint on allowing characters to develop naturally. I also don't really like that new, interesting, characters that show the possibility of recurring roles are being

killed off by the end of the episode. In this episode not one but two brand new characters get wasted.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think there’s a 30 minute “constraint”. Episodes have run past 40 minutes. With streaming they have the freedom to be as long or as short as they want. This is clearly what they want. And I think presenting a live action Star Wars in a format that closely approximates the theatrical serial format that inspired the original film is one of the best decisions this franchise has made in decades.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just don't like what is being done to new characters that are introduced in the show.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This show is pretty well a westernized, Sci-Fi version of "Lone Wolf and Cub" minus the revenge motivation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks