What's new

Joker (2019 Movie) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’ll also depend on what’s playing around it. Venom did well in October with no superhero/tentpole competition. Would it have been successful in May?

The timing here may help them get a look from people who might not bother if it was a choice between Avengers and Joker.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And, funny enough, another version of Batman! So, what's the difference?

Yeah. I'm not ok with that either. In fact the only thing at this point that would get me excited about another Batman movie would be a panel by panel adaptation of Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight Returns'.
And Robert Rodriguez would be the director of choice.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw the IMAX trailer today before Godzilla.

Did nothing for me. Haven’t we seen enough of the Joker character in previous films? Does WB really believe there’s an audience for this film?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Haven’t we seen enough of the Joker character in previous films?

What's disappointing to me is that we haven't really seen the same person playing the Joker twice in film.

One of the things that I like about Batman's rogue gallery is that we get to see the same villains, and that the encounters can build on each other. None of the Batman films have really done this, and I would love to see a series of Batman films where we actually got to see the same Joker more than once.

Which is obviously not what this film is.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would love to see a series of Batman films where we actually got to see the same Joker more than once.

To be totally fair, Christopher Nolan said it was a mistake for Batman '89 to kill the Joker after one film and probably would have used Heath Ledger in his third movie if Ledger had not died. There's no way to know what exactly the film that became Rises would have been if Ledger was still here, but I suspect he would have been in it. Which doesn't invalidate your point at all, but it's something Nolan didn't have control over.

Also, the trailer is out and just refers to this film as Joker. Is it really still the Untitled Joker Origins Movie? Perhaps the thread title needs an update.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I saw the trailer in front of Godzilla as well, and it didn't change my opinion of this film one iota. I have zero, and I do mean ZERO, interest in this movie. The trailer almost plays like a parody. I really don't understand what the hell DC thinks they're doing here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When DC first pursued the project, there was a strong possibility that Martin Scorsese was interested in directing. In those circumstances, and especially for the lower budget, why not. I don’t think as highly of Todd Phillips but his Hangover films have made the studio hundreds of millions of dollars. They probably saw little risk in letting one of their more financially successful directors helm a lower-budget one-off about one of the most famous comic villains of all time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t disagree. I’m hoping that it’s actually a good movie but unusual and the marketing department just didn’t know what to do with it. But it’s not a high hope.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
To be totally fair, Christopher Nolan said it was a mistake for Batman '89 to kill the Joker after one film and probably would have used Heath Ledger in his third movie if Ledger had not died.

Ironic coming from a director who sped through the rogue's gallery like they were all one-off criminals. Harvey Dent was Two-Face for... 45 minutes maybe? ;)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yeah, nothing I've seen about this film seems interesting to me at all. There was a trailer on a blu-ray I watched a couple weeks ago and it really convinced me that this was nothing I need to see.

Oddly, this picture is having the opposite effect on me...I have not watched a superhero film since Dr. Strange, which I thought was pretty but a fairly bad film, and really have had no interest in seeing another one. This has me curious and I thought the trailer looks sort of interesting and odd. I'm a bit nervous because this picture may get me to watch another superhero film...although would this be considered a "super villain" film because it looks like this is just about the Joker?

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I think this character study, tragic tale approach is fascinating and I cannot wait to see it. Nothing about this film feels like a superhero or super villain film and I think that is part of the draw for me.

Exactly my point of view. When I saw the first teaser trailer I was dismissive of yet another super hero (or villain) story but this seems to be more of a character study, like you said.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think this character study, tragic tale approach is fascinating and I cannot wait to see it. Nothing about this film feels like a superhero or super villain film and I think that is part of the draw for me.

Yes, to me what this genre desperately needs is a massive injection of odd, weird, freaky, and bizarre with a massive side of pathos. Throw out anything to do with saving the world or universe, make the super heroes sick and vile people that just happen to accidentally do something good on occasion which generally is a result of a fit of rage or attempt to do severe harm to someone or something...and maybe you have got something.

Plus I mean instead of having Superman always be a buff guy in a stupid looking suit why can't he be a fat guy with a horrible temper, a massive flatulence problem, that likes to wear ratty women's pantyhose and his uniform from the fast food place where he works during the day as a cape?

This genre has been horribly burned to the ground it needs to try some new stuff here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks