What's new

Joker (2019 Movie) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And when they do “The Batman” movies, which rumors say will be set earlier than the present day “Justice League” timeframe, will they be using this Joker, Leto’s Joker, or a third version? Or will they just not use Batman’s most iconic villain?

Maybe Cameron Monaghan's "Joker" from Gotham ?

cameron-monaghan-the-joker-gotham-1554188083.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It sure looks like this Joker has been abused by other people, had a loving mother, and so on. It looks like something we've seen before. It's being described as "DC's darkest movie." Ugh. Do we need that?

Too bad it's another 14 months until Wonder Woman 2.

I hope this is good. I really do. I just don't feel it.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
This trailer could not possible be mistaken for parody. When I first hear about the project I was doubtful that such a thing was needed or could add to the genre in a meaningful way, but that trailer at least has me fully interested. What a fascinating approach. I went from curious to 'must see' based on that trailer.

I surely can't be the only one in this corner of the internet that found that trailer immensely good! I know the reaction elsewhere has been very positive, I am surprised by the negative impressions here.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Different strokes and all, Neil. Joker really holds no interest for me at all. This movie looks like a disaster IMO, and I think that DC's strategy of doing "one-off" films featuring major characters played by different actors that have no place in the continuity of the DCEU is ill-conceived. I smell failure here, but if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Different strokes and all, Neil. Joker really holds no interest for me at all. This movie looks like a disaster IMO, and I think that DC's strategy of doing "one-off" films featuring major characters played by different actors that have no place in the continuity of the DCEU is ill-conceived. I smell failure here, but if I'm wrong I'm wrong.
It's interesting because I thought Sony was out of its mind to produce an animated Spider-man film that wasn't connected to the live-action one, and that one turned out to be a superb piece of art and entertainment. I think that I held similar misgivings about the idea of a Joker origin story not connected to the current DC universe, but that trailer was so very well done and I find myself compelled to see what unique contribution this story can have to the larger superhero (or villain) canvas.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I find it amusing that people can't wrap their head around a DC or Marvel film not being part of a shared universe.

Marvel just did it, and their effort won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

Prior to the release of IRON MAN in 2009, no one had ever considered a shared cinematic universe for super-heroes as a possibility.

Now, they immediately jump all over any attempt to step outside the shared-universe mentality.

I, for one, am looking forward to this.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised by the negativity too, and also went from ambiguous to eager to see. I'm also surprised at how some on the web and IRL are calling this trailer dark. To my eyes it's gonna be bright compared to the Nolan films.

The greatest thing about the Batman franchise is its flexibility. There's no real right or wrong.

I want to see this origin story unless early reviews universally trash it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The movie has a lot going for it. Produced by Martin Scorsese, directed by Todd Phillips, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Robert DeNiro -- all of those things alone are in its favor. But as DC films go, we just got out of their dark Zack Synder period. I was hoping for a brighter path moving forward.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not a fan of origin stories in general, so I'm likely out unless it gets some sort of rave reviews from average viewers (not necessarily critics).

Besides, isn't that what the Gotham TV series has been exploring for years now, the origins and rise of Batman and Joker (and other villains)? Will people want to pay to see a similar story in theaters that they just watched on TV?

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I suppose one of the big draws could very well be that Phoenix is going to try and out-Ledger, Ledger. Pretty high bar.

If the performance is really really good, then thats a plus for me.

Hard to believe that Heath has been gone for over 11 years now.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
And when they do “The Batman” movies, which rumors say will be set earlier than the present day “Justice League” timeframe, will they be using this Joker, Leto’s Joker, or a third version? Or will they just not use Batman’s most iconic villain?

If Reeves ever has Joker in his Batman films it'll likely be a revision of the Leto version. This Joker film is a one-off, never to be seen again take on the character / story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks