What's new

Joker (2019 Movie) (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Criticize the film all you want--positive or negative-- (after all, that's what we're here for), but let's not criticize each other for having those opinions.

Well, not quite all you want.

Post edited by Moderator to remove overt political references.

;)

Has anyone discussed the similarities of this film in parts to Scorcese's King of Comedy?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Never said it was. But being the Joker is kind of Batman's main nemesis, one would assume they will come to meet at some point. And if this is solely a Gotham city without Batman ever existing, and Joker goes unchecked in his criminal activity with all his crazed followers well therein lies the problem.

Yes, I did not think you were saying that, Bryan, I just feel that the film intentionally is messing with people's expectations. Which I think could/would aggravate some viewers. I think they drew people in with the "Joker" name and then threw them a curve. So, I don't think their intent was for you to really think about this Fleck guy having a fight with Batman.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Yes, I did not think you were saying that, Bryan, I just feel that the film intentionally is messing with people's expectations. Which I think could/would aggravate some viewers. I think they drew people in with the "Joker" name and then threw them a curve. So, I don't think their intent was for you to really think about this Fleck guy having a fight with Batman.

I think their advertising campaign for this film was very, very honest. It was an alternate or reimagined origin story. If someone literally attended the film because of the name of it without at least checking out a trailer, that's on them.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think their advertising campaign for this film was very, very honest. It was an alternate or reimagined origin story. If someone literally attended the film because of the name of it without at least checking out a trailer, that's on them.

I don't know how much of the advertising I saw so, can't say. I expected something different than the usual comic book film and thought in that regard it delivers. I would not have nominated it as one of the best pictures of the year but it is an interesting experiment.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone discussed the similarities of this film in parts to Scorcese's King of Comedy?
They're overshadowed by the similarities to Scorsese's Taxi Driver. Honestly, this movie just seems like a knock off of those much better movies and it's why I wonder why the picture has gotten so much award attention.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They're overshadowed by the similarities to Scorsese's Taxi Driver. Honestly, this movie just seems like a knock off of those much better movies and it's why I wonder why the picture has gotten so much award attention.

My wife and I basically have two friend circles: the group that went to film/tv school and the group that works in other businesses. Everyone that’s in the film group that had already seen those Scorsese films felt Joker was fine but that they had basically seen it all before. Everyone in the other group that had never seen the Scorsese films thought Joker was a revelation.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My wife and I basically have two friend circles: the group that went to film/tv school and the group that works in other businesses. Everyone that’s in the film group that had already seen those Scorsese films felt Joker was fine but that they had basically seen it all before. Everyone in the other group that had never seen the Scorsese films thought Joker was a revelation.
Hence it’s polarization. ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Why is it ironic? I'm not "many people", and I don't care what they think. I have never seen DeNiro in that type of role. I thought it was the only thing worth watching in this mess of a movie.

It's ironic that you hate the movie but like the one thing that most people who like it dislike.

Not a difficult concept...

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I
I wouldn’t fit in either circle. I haven’t been to film school and I found Joker to be a snooze-fest. I didn’t find JP’s performance riveting or in any way groundbreaking (mostly annoying) and De Niro seemed to me like he was reading his lines, much like every time he appears in a cold open on SNL. I just don’t get it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would and picked it up on 4K UHD Blu-ray the last time I was in a Best Buy. I had not seen the movie before then and just purchased it for the heck of it. Well acted and the story itself was not to bad but IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker! And they included the killing of Bruce Wyane's parents at the end which introduces a problem moving forward. With the age of the Joker and Bruce being a child how can we expect the Joker to be a threat to Batman later on down the road. This strikes me as a one and done which doesn't lend much continuity to the Batman story line and the other villain characters.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Like others have pointed out, there are theories that this Joker is the one who inspires someone else to be the Joker that Batman fights.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Like others have pointed out, there are theories that this Joker is the one who inspires someone else to be the Joker that Batman fights.

That’s pure speculation since there’s no history of that anywhere else in Batman lore and there’s no evidence of that happening in the movie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That’s pure speculation since there’s no history of that anywhere else in Batman lore and there’s no evidence of that happening in the movie.

There's no history in Batman lore of a character named Arthur whose mother worked for Thomas Wayne who then became Joker either, is there?

No one here says the theory that Arthur isn't "THE Joker" is clearly correct, but it's viable.

Not sure why you seem so dead-set against it and 100% sure it's wrong...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's ironic that you hate the movie but like the one thing that most people who like it dislike.

Not a difficult concept...

Irony is not a difficult concept, but I thought it odd you used this for a counterpoint to my take on the movie.
There is no way in the world that you can gauge what "most" people like, and dislike about his performance unless you polled nearly every person that watched the movie. I'm sure most of the people that watched the film thought DeNiro was fine in the film.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
How can you say this....

There is no way in the world that you can gauge what "most" people like, and dislike about his performance unless you polled nearly every person that watched the movie.

...and then go on to say this?

I'm sure most of the people that watched the film thought DeNiro was fine in the film.

Bit of a contradiction?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Irony is not a difficult concept, but I thought it odd you used this for a counterpoint to my take on the movie.
There is no way in the world that you can gauge what "most" people like, and dislike about his performance unless you polled nearly every person that watched the movie. I'm sure most of the people that watched the film thought DeNiro was fine in the film.

:rolleyes:

No, I didn't poll every viewer. I read reviews as well as comments in places like this, and a lot of them didn't think De Niro was right for the part.

Are you the kind of guy who says political polls are worthless because they didn't ask every human in existence?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks