What's new

Joker (2019 Movie) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Or a theater with an actual sense of humor. We are really going to compare putting up a sign that basically says "Super Nerds not Allowed" with rounding up six million Jews, putting them in concentration camps and gassing them to death???
Lets stop talking about that sign and return the discussion back to the movie itself!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some posts have been removed as I'm not going to allow a back and forth to continue that is not germane to this film's discussion. Apparently, my first warning wasn't enough. Any further such posts will be deleted and thread bans issued.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm seeing this movie in a couple of hours as I'm looking forward to finding out whether my best friend was right about this film.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Review
https://www.thewrap.com/joker-film-review-joaquin-phoenix-robert-de-niro-dc-2019/

I cringed, but let it slide in the Nolan, and Snyder renditions of the Batman but this is out of hand now, and I am officially pissed:

"And if Phillips is borrowing from countless movies here, he also lifts an entire section of Frank Miller’s “The Dark Knight Returns” for good measure. "
Quit cannibalizing one of the greatest comic book series in the history of comic books. How terrible, and it continues time, after time after time. Yes, we know The Dark Knight Returns is a masterpiece, but that is not your movie. Leave it alone or make a dedicated adaptation of the book!!!!

I'm curious after seeing "Joker" about what was lifted from Miller's The Dark Knight Returns? I've never been a comic book reader so I'm not familiar with the story of that graphic novel.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious after seeing "Joker" about what was lifted from Miller's The Dark Knight Returns? I've never been a comic book reader so I'm not familiar with the story of that graphic novel.

Someone I talked to that has watched it says it mimics the talk show/Joker segment of the book.

I also highly recommend reading it if you have a chance. It is fantastic.
Sad thing is if WB ever tried making it into a movie now, it would look like it was copying parts of all other Batman films because they borrowed so heavily from it...especially Batman Vs. Superman.
WB made an animated version of The Dark Knight Returns a few years ago. I t was one of the worst things I have ever seen. Hardly nothing like the source material.
this sums up why I love the book so much:

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Back from my showing and I have to say it was quite good. Sure, it's not a comfortable film to sit through, but I thought it handled the Joker's transformation very well as a damaged person that needed intense professional help into being a homicidal criminal that doesn't give a damn about who he hurts during his acts of violence.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Back from my showing and I have to say it was quite good. Sure, it's not a comfortable film to sit through, but I thought it handled the Joker's transformation as a damaged person that needed intense professional help into being a homicidal criminal that doesn't give a damn about who he hurts, very well.
I feel pretty much the same way after my Laser Imax showing today.
An ugly, depressing, violent interestingly good film. ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Does anybody know how much weight Phoenix lost for this film?

I think I read 50 pounds somewhere but I can’t remember where.

FWIW, I loathe the Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns comic. There’s a lot that I don’t like in it, but the biggest problem is so bad for me that I can’t salvage any of it, and it’s this: Superman can never, ever, be the bad guy. Superman always knows the right thing to do. Always. That’s the core of his character. And Frank Miller discards that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I loathe the Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns comic. There’s a lot that I don’t like in it, but the biggest problem is so bad for me that I can’t salvage any of it, and it’s this: Superman can never, ever, be the bad guy. Superman always knows the right thing to do. Always. That’s the core of his character. And Frank Miller discards that.
Wow, I have never known anyone that read it to loathe it. You have your reasons obviously, and I respect that, but think the Batman/Superman dynamic is much more complex than Batman is good, and Superman is bad. In this reality Superman still has a heart of gold. He is of course is answering to the president, Eliminating threats to our country, and trying to maintain peace in the world is paramount. But he is still Superman, and completely selfless (he nearly dies with the destruction of a Soviet nuke).

From Bruce Wayne's view Superman has become a villain, or at least someone trying to stop his vigilante crusade. Superman tries many times to reason with Bruce. Of course Bruce wants none of it forcing him into a fight that Superman does not want. I felt bad for Superman because until the Kryptonite arrow explodes he is still trying to reason with Batman and then he just gets the stuffing beat out of him. And the very end with Superman leaving Bruce alone for the remainder of his life, that again shows the hero character in fine form. He still considers Bruce a friend, And he knows when to walk away.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I have never known anyone that read it to loathe it. You have your reasons obviously, and I respect that, but think the Batman/Superman dynamic is much more complex than Batman is good, and Superman is bad. In this reality Superman still has a heart of gold. He is of course is answering to the president, Eliminating threats to our country, and trying to maintain peace in the world is paramount. But he is still Superman, and completely selfless (he nearly dies with the destruction of a Soviet nuke).

From Bruce Wayne's view Superman has become a villain, or at least someone trying to stop his vigilante crusade. Superman tries many times to reason with Bruce. Of course Bruce wants none of it forcing him into a fight that Superman does not want. I felt bad for Superman because until the Kryptonite arrow explodes he is still trying to reason with Batman and then he just gets the stuffing beat out of him. And the very end with Superman leaving Bruce alone for the remainder of his life, that again shows the hero character in fine form. He still considers Bruce a friend, And he knows when to walk away.

I'm with you. Superman might put his trust in the wrong people, but I never viewed him as a "bad guy" in "DKR".

And I love that story! Pretty much as good as Batman gets!

YANG

Screenwriter
so... Will Jack Nicholson's Joker will become a real “Joke” when the later year younger actors play the role better...?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
so... Will Jack Nicholson's Joker will become a real “Joke” when the later year younger actors play the role better...?

Crazy fact to consider: Jack was 52 when "Batman" hit screens, whereas Phoenix is currently 44 - he'll be 45 this month. Leto was also 44 when he played Joker.

Ledger was the "odd Joker out" because he was only 28 when he did the part.

Nuts to realize how close in age Nicholson and the others were when they played the role!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think there's any "better". All are variations on a character, and mostly seem appropriate to the films they're in.

Though Jared Leto's interpretation from Suicide Squad may be the "joke" version, if we need to crown one.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I don't think there's any one "right" interpretation of any character in pop culture. Each version is a product of their time period. Cesar Romero was what the 1960's needed the Joker to be, just as Phoenix personifies the time we live in now culturally, politically and socially. We may all have our preferred version, but none of them are jokes.

By necessity, a character has to be reinvented for new audiences or else that character will die in pop culture.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
While I love Jack Nicholson, and Tim Burton's "Batman" was supposed to be a return to the darker Batman of the early comics, after Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix, Jack Nicholson's Joker now plays much more like the campy '60s take by Cesar Romero.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks