Joke of the day!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom.le, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Tom.le

Tom.le Agent

Hey, everyone, check this out!
    http://www.bettercables.com/1met328feetp1.html
    They want to sell you a 3.28 foot fiber-optic cable for $60. WHAT A JOKE!
    And if you want to buy the 9.8 foot cable (3 meters), that'd be $100!!
    You can probably find a 3 meter cable on PriceWatch for around $15. And maybe even cheaper elsewhere. Actually, I just checked ebay, 12 foot toslink for $8, $10 if you "buy it now".
    Fiber is fiber is fiber. It's optical, it's either there or it's not. And why even gold-plate the connector? It's the outer part that doesn't do anything. The important part is the tip, where the red light enters. Unless their cable is ultra-thick to support ungodly amounts of bandwidth, it's overpriced. And even then, the connector is small in diameter anyway, so there's a bottleneck already since it's toslink, and it has to be a cerain diameter to begin with, and a certain bandwidth.
    Anyway.. I keep this link on my desktop. Whenever I need a good laugh, I check it out. Amazing.. $100 for a 3 meter cable.

2. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

I bought a 2m lenght fiber cable at a computer show locally. I paid I believe $3.00 or some rediculous price like that and it works fine.
    Coming from a telecommunications background, I too beleive that fiber is fiber is fiber.
    With that, I took my no name brand cable and rigged it with a Platinum connector and added a heat sink with a cooling fan. [​IMG]

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

People can sell what they want, but buyer beware I guess...

What's the reason for gold plating on an opty cable anyway??

And yeah, don't flame a sponsor. Bad karma.

4. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

Probably not a good idea to make fun of the sponsor of this board.

5. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I would think the sponsor may figure out that we are just a little stupid, not a lot stupider than youz average J6P.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Keep in mind guys, that the real expense in either a copper or fiber cable is NOT the materials - it's the labor.

I did the calculations one day to build a 6 ft Canare component cable for someone. Not including the cost for the tools or any labor charges, that cable cost about $48. (This is zero profit and zero charge for handling.)

This is why many of these cables from the custom houses start at about $50.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jeeze Bob- where you buying your parts? My supplier, this 6 footer is less than $30 in parts. When I build for friends, I mark up the supply prices to cover shipping and make a few bucks- and even then I charged $39.40 for a super deluxe 6 footer, and easily made money on it.

-Vince

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I calculated the $7 cut-charge from HAVE.INC (because I did not want to buy a 300 ft spool), shipping from NY. I added $1 for shrink tubing. The box price I got from Mail Box's Etc. was about $3. The shipping back to NY I calculated at $3.20.

It's all the little charges that add up, and this does not include any charge for my time to order/stock/wrap/ship.

The above calculations do not include things like tool expenses (wear and tear), storage for the stock & tools, promotion fees (cost of setting up a web site/posting to eBay, fee for taking credit cards, etc.)

When you do it as a business instead of a hobby, you need to include every penny.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Oh, absolutely- I didn't think the people building for profit should be charging less than $40, just your post seemed to outline parts costs alone at $40, when I find that raw parts costs were around half that.

-V

10. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    Use whatever cable you feel matches the quality level of the rest of your equipment. If a 15 dollar one meets that criteria, then buy it.

You wont find any 15 dollar cables in my rig.

Mike

11. Dan Pawlowski

Dan Pawlowski Stunt Coordinator

Ya cables are way over-rated in audio applications. I work in telecommunications and I have a wide variety of cables to use at my disposal. I have tried several variations of interconnects. None make any audible differences. Although, some look pretty cool.

I find that in video, cables do make a difference. In fact the difference that cannot be seen on a monitor screen can be measured on a simple oscilloscope. Funny how it is the opposite in audio. Differences with interconnects cannot be measured but can be heard????

12. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

IMO wether its $75 or $3 fiber cable, fiber is fiber is fiber. What I found ammusing was the use of gold plated toslink connectors.

So is it the looks not quality that one would pay extra $$$ for a piece of fiber?

I would think that when going copper you get what you pay for, but not the case with fiber.

13. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer