What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Satire in dark times can be an effective weapon in the fight against the darkness. We’re in some quite bleak times with the rise of extremist hate groups in the U.S. and Europe. Hate is an insidious beast and I welcome anything that works to tear away at that kind of insidiousness. And Jojo Rabbit earnestly tries to tackle the virulence of hate with enough artistic integrity, humor, and heart to be worthy of its critical applause. Recommended.

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Released: 08 Nov 2019
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 108 min

Director: Taika Waititi
Genre: Comedy, Drama, War

Cast: Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Scarlett Johansson, Taika Waititi
Writer(s): Taika Waititi (screenplay), Christine Leunens (novel)

Plot: A young boy in Hitler's army finds out his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their home...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I really loved this film.

However, it's amazing to me what a tough sell it is to most audiences.

I have tried getting my two brothers to watch this as well as a few friends. They all hated it within the first 20 minutes and turned it off.

I kind of get it -- the film is very quirky. However, for those of us that understand its brilliance of dark comedy, this is one of the best pictures that came out of the past year.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have tried getting my two brothers to watch this as well as a few friends. They all hated it within the first 20 minutes and turned it off
@Ronald Epstein My wife also hated the first twenty minutes of so. But I made her stick with it and by the end she had teared up a few times and wound up loving it and said it was her favorite film of the year.

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, just the opposite reaction from me, the first 20 minutes I was laughing out loud and anticipating what would happen. Loved it right from the start.

Given the rave verbiage of the review, I'm wondering why you only gave the production 4/5. It's a 5 for me and in my top 3 films of 2019 (with 1917 and Parasite).

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I absolutely loved this film! It covered such a range of emotions and struck a remarkable balance between comedy and tragedy. I welled up during several moments in the film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I absolutely loved this film! It covered such a range of emotions and struck a remarkable balance between comedy and tragedy. I welled up during several moments in the film.

It's absolutely a great film. Extremely clever.

It so much fits in with the FOX SEARCHLIGHT brand.

However, for some, that's the problem...

FOX SEARCHLIGHT movies, as well regarded (and Oscar Winners) as they are, they tend to be very quirky. If you don't have the mindset for it, it can be a turn-off for some.

A movie like this needs investment. Yes, it's easy to see why a small amount of audience can't get through the first few minutes, but give it a chance, these films are always highly rewarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks